Price Check: How much is my _____ worth?

Hypersphere

22 Apr 2014, 23:19

aiannone wrote:Hello all,

I am a long time lurker and first time poster. I posted this over at Geekhack, but figured it wouldn't hurt to try here too. I have a brand new in the box SSK (Model M Space Saving Keyboard). Can I get some suggestions as to what its fair market value is? I purchased it brand new in 2002 and for a variety of reasons never ended up using it (my daily driver is a M13). I have opened the box to verify contents - the keyboard is spotless and even smells brand new, and the SDL cable is brand new in the bag. The numbers on the box end match the keyboard, of course. I've attached a bunch of pictures here - please let me know your thoughts. Also, is EBAY the best place to sell? I have a few other keyboards that I will be posting about later on as well.

Thanks in advance!
I consider an SSK in excellent condition worth around 200 - 250 USD. I have seen them sell on eBay for 100 - 560 USD. Top prices are for expertly refurbished units, including a bolt mod. Note that the plastic rivets degrade primarily with age rather than "wear and tear".

scottc

22 Apr 2014, 23:30

They often go for €200 around here. In good or bolt-modded condition.

aiannone

23 Apr 2014, 02:44

The next keyboard I am considering selling is an IBM M13. It is in excellent condition and very clean. The only defect that I can find is a scratch near the top right of the keyboard. When I got the keyboard, the right trackpoint button was not functional; I repaired it using a silver based trace repair solution. Both trackpoint buttons now work properly. This was my daily driver until recently - I lucked into a very reasonably priced brand new 1994 Lexmark manufactured M13 that I am typing on now. I've attached some photos of the M13 - again, thoughts on value / fair selling price?

Thanks again!
Attachments
M13 Keyboard Top 1a.jpg
M13 Keyboard Top 1a.jpg (970.87 KiB) Viewed 5499 times
M13 Keyboard Top 2.jpg
M13 Keyboard Top 2.jpg (927.81 KiB) Viewed 5499 times
M13 Keyboard Bottom Label.jpg
M13 Keyboard Bottom Label.jpg (137.39 KiB) Viewed 5499 times

fohat
Elder Messenger

02 May 2014, 04:02

aiannone wrote:Hello all,

I am a long time lurker and first time poster. I posted this over at Geekhack, but figured it wouldn't hurt to try here too. I have a brand new in the box SSK (Model M Space Saving Keyboard). Can I get some suggestions as to what its fair market value is? I purchased it brand new in 2002 and for a variety of reasons never ended up using it (my daily driver is a M13). I have opened the box to verify contents - the keyboard is spotless and even smells brand new, and the SDL cable is brand new in the bag. The numbers on the box end match the keyboard, of course. I've attached a bunch of pictures here - please let me know your thoughts. Also, is EBAY the best place to sell? I have a few other keyboards that I will be posting about later on as well.

Thanks in advance!
I recommend that you wait for prices to spike again. Early this year you could have easily gotten $600 or more for this excellent item on ebay or one of these forums. Now, you might get half that.

These things go through crazy swings, you have waited a long time, wait some more.

MadScienitst46

06 May 2014, 19:18

Hi everybody!

I have a Zowie FK in my closet that i dont use anymore, and a good friend asked me if he could buy it.
Since I have absolutely no idea what to ask for it, I thought I might ask here also what u guys think its woth.
The mouse is aproximately 6-7 months old.

Thanks in advance! Mad

Candyflip

06 May 2014, 23:10

Good friend you say, I say give it to him as gift :D
Considering that can be bought for around $50 new, $30 maybe?

ridlerist

13 May 2014, 10:03

So i have an IBM Model M 1391401 04MAR88 in almost perfect condition, and an IBM Model KB-7953, what do you think it's worth?

kbdfr
The Tiproman

13 May 2014, 10:16

ridlerist wrote:So i have an IBM Model M 1391401 04MAR88 in almost perfect condition, and an IBM Model KB-7953, what do you think it's worth?
Spoiler:
I often wonder why people start posts with "so".
I wonder even more when they do it in their first post ever
instead of saying "hi"

signed:

Muirium
µ

13 May 2014, 12:35

It's because they're Karl van Hœt! (A persona in the Merlin Mann universe that I've failed to find any quicker link to than "go listen to these podcasts, they'll just take a few months." The character does fit that habit perfectly, though. The SO is spoken with emphasis…)

ridlerist

13 May 2014, 20:01

Excuse me about my first post, but if you can't answer my question then rather don't comment at all. Thanks.

Sayso

13 May 2014, 20:03

:roll:

ne0phyte
Toast.

13 May 2014, 20:06

ridlerist wrote:Excuse me about my first post, but if you can't answer my question then rather don't comment at all. Thanks.
How nice. This is Deskthority - everyone can say whatever they want here :D

kbdfr
The Tiproman

13 May 2014, 20:09

ridlerist wrote:Excuse me about my first post, but if you can't answer my question then rather don't comment at all. Thanks.
"Excuse me" and "Thanks" gratefully acknowledged.

On the other hand,
no, I can’t answer your question, and
no, I still will comment as I like :mrgreen:

Muirium
µ

13 May 2014, 21:13

ne0phyte wrote:This is Deskthority - everyone can say whatever they want here :D
Can and usually will in fact!

JBert

13 May 2014, 22:24

ridlerist wrote:So i have an IBM Model M 1391401 04MAR88 in almost perfect condition, and an IBM Model KB-7953, what do you think it's worth?
A 1391401 keyboard sounds like the plain and regular Model M, so a lot depends on condition, yellowing and spring feeling (and don't forget about them rivets). I think that most people would pay you $35-50 for it.

The second is a rubber dome Chicony-built keyboard AFAICT, I think you might be lucky if you get $10 for it.

Biernot

18 May 2014, 22:55

G80-2551HAD?
:twisted:

photekq
Cherry Picker

18 May 2014, 23:06

Biernot wrote:G80-2551HAD?
:twisted:
What condition is it in?

tinnie

19 May 2014, 04:16

€70

usopia

21 May 2014, 08:08

Biernot wrote:G80-2551HAD?
... yap, exactly this Cherry I just wanted to ask. Are the 70,-€ for NIB condition meant?

IvanIvanovich

23 May 2014, 20:11

Sounds about right for sale in EU... might get more from an American. It's rather hard to find the battleship models in the US.

davkol

27 May 2014, 16:43

Apple Extended Keyboard II M3501, white cream Alps, German ISO
no visible damage except some dirt/paint and slight yellowing
no cable (hence I can't test function)

How much is it worth? I like those switches/caps, but won't spend time on a keyboard with such layout.

IvanIvanovich

27 May 2014, 17:28

Probably 20-40EUR.

Muirium
µ

27 May 2014, 18:49

Varies a lot with those. I got an unyellowed ANSI US with cable and box in Germany for €10, and saw another from the same seller go for less on the same day. But here in Britain they can be £50 like a Model M!

Cheesebaron

29 May 2014, 23:18

What does a very nice Filco Minila with MX Blues go for? US layout.

shreebles
Finally 60%

30 May 2014, 09:50

What would you say a regular Model M (white label) in German ISO is worth? Seller says the condition is good, and fully working, but used, and in need of a cleaning.
I'm asking not because I have one, but because I am bidding on one on eBay and don't want to pay too much.
Or does anyone have a QWERTZ Model M up for grabs (or a loaner)? I would really like to try buckling springs.

adhoc

31 May 2014, 13:58

I sold mine for 45€ a week ago, it was in perfect condition, almost like new in box. German ISO layout.

shreebles
Finally 60%

31 May 2014, 16:28

Thanks a lot.

Damn. I don't get it. The one I'm looking is going on 50€ right now and it ends in an hour. It's not NIB though.
Last week there was one for 27 but I missed it :cry:

Muirium
µ

31 May 2014, 16:32

50 for one that isn't new or bolt modded sounds a bit much to me. The more use they get, the more they need it.

alinh

31 May 2014, 17:25

Muirium wrote:50 for one that isn't new or bolt modded sounds a bit much to me. The more use they get, the more they need it.
I paid 45 for a 1986 1390120 - but I wanted it because it's older (and boy did it need a bolt mod - and a new barrel plate for that matter). Seller didn't say and I didn't know to look for, but the SDL cable was missing so always a good idea to check/ask.

shreebles
Finally 60%

31 May 2014, 18:23

Thanks for the replies guys. I passed on the first one, and with good reason - it was sold for 57€...

I'm looking at another one right now, looks pretty yellowed but I would retr0bright the hell out of it. The cable is on the picture so I'm pretty sure that's included. Thankfully, the seller did not list this keyboard by its actual name is so it might go for cheaper this time...

Return to “Marketplace Help”