27 May 2014, 00:28

i like cake.

No. 1

No. 2

No. 3

No. 4

No. 5

No. 6

Oh yeah! I forgot - I zinc electroplated the bare metal area for the ground wire too. ^_^

facetsesame
Mad Dasher

27 May 2014, 01:11

I've been checking out your recent work so this isn't entirely new to me, yet every time I never fail to be astonished. It's wonderful how you relish picking up these horrendously abused things that many'd run a mile from, and turn them into prize "pretty pretty"s using a degree of nuture they wouldn't have recieved at the factory.
I'm not sure how best to send you cake...

E TwentyNine

27 May 2014, 03:48

I like the color backplates, would be a reason for finding an alternative open case for these.

However...you also painted the barrel plate? What does that look like without the keys in?
Edit: Nevermind, see it in the other thread...looks good!

What'd you end up doing about the membranes?

javifast

27 May 2014, 06:23

Amazing job.

Josh

27 May 2014, 10:47

wow! amazing work done!! nice!

madmatt

27 May 2014, 11:01

you, my good sir, are a keyboard god. Checked your website and those boards are beautiful. You are selling them for very good prices, too. The Model M with orange light is great. Wished I´d lived in the states to get one of these because shipping one of these beasts to germany costs probably a fortune.

bitemyweewee

27 May 2014, 11:26

Well done Sir,
You have given these seniors a grand service.
We bid you many thanks for all your hard work, dedication and finesse.

phosphorglow

27 May 2014, 22:09

facetsesame wrote:I've been checking out your recent work so this isn't entirely new to me, yet every time I never fail to be astonished. It's wonderful how you relish picking up these horrendously abused things that many'd run a mile from, and turn them into prize "pretty pretty"s using a degree of nuture they wouldn't have recieved at the factory.
I'm not sure how best to send you cake...
Awwww! Thanks! :D
E TwentyNine wrote:I like the color backplates, would be a reason for finding an alternative open case for these.

However...you also painted the barrel plate? What does that look like without the keys in?
Edit: Nevermind, see it in the other thread...looks good!

What'd you end up doing about the membranes?
Thanks! Y'know... I've been contemplating making a few custom boards using spare plates and frames. ErgoDox case style perhaps. And perhaps even an Ergo-M if I can figure out how to do the space bar.

I had the membranes professionally printed by a nice manufacturing company out in California.

phosphorglow

27 May 2014, 22:21

bitemyweewee wrote:Well done Sir,
You have given these seniors a grand service.
We bid you many thanks for all your hard work, dedication and finesse.
Much appreciated! It's a labor of love for sure.
madmatt wrote:you, my good sir, are a keyboard god. Checked your website and those boards are beautiful. You are selling them for very good prices, too. The Model M with orange light is great. Wished I´d lived in the states to get one of these because shipping one of these beasts to germany costs probably a fortune.
Thanks! I've got a tiny stockpile so I'm trying not to be too greedy. Shipping to Germany isn't toooo terrible. ;P

photekq
Cherry Picker

27 May 2014, 22:23

Bloody hell. Seriously amazing work phosphor.

Elrick

28 May 2014, 07:43

Amazing to see before shots and of course the after shots, completely brilliant to see the transformation.

I wish you could of taken No 5 casing and painted it Veridian Red to match it's Metal plate colour :). I still think that coloured SSK casings could be the next level of customization for IBM fanatics.

Half-Saint

28 May 2014, 17:27

December 4th... my birthday... too bad it's already sold but I wouldn't be able to afford it anyway. Not without selling some keyboards first :)

quantalume

28 May 2014, 18:54

Phosphorglow, do you have any suggestions for restoring/replacing silver badges like this one:
7613_0_DSC_0357.jpg
7613_0_DSC_0357.jpg (53.74 KiB) Viewed 7161 times
I'd like to keep it original looking rather than sticking on some other IBM logo. I thought about polishing smooth the old badge and then printing with some sort of ink jet or silk screen process. Unfortunately, I have no experience with either of those on metal.

phosphorglow

29 May 2014, 16:05

quantalume wrote:Phosphorglow, do you have any suggestions for restoring/replacing silver badges like this one:
7613_0_DSC_0357.jpg
I'd like to keep it original looking rather than sticking on some other IBM logo. I thought about polishing smooth the old badge and then printing with some sort of ink jet or silk screen process. Unfortunately, I have no experience with either of those on metal.
There was someone who remade those badges, and if I recall, the same person also made replacement labels for the kishsaver, but my memory is a bit fuzzy so don't quote me on that. :P

Sublimation would probably be the best bet, but for just one badge I rather like the idea of polishing the old one and screen printing it. (One of the many hats I've worn is that of a screen printer.) Other than that I'm drawing a blank at the moment for ideas.

mr_a500

29 May 2014, 16:09

Wow. I thought I saved a few keyboards from certain death, but that was nothing compared to this. What you did is like resurrecting corpses.
Last edited by mr_a500 on 29 May 2014, 16:21, edited 1 time in total.

phosphorglow

29 May 2014, 16:10

Actually, now that my coffee is kicking some synapses around...

The shop I worked at had a sublimation printer and a heat press. Slap the sublimation sheet over a piece of metal, heat press it, and voila. Quite a bit simpler than screen printing just one badge.

So I guess find a shop that does awards and trophy's and see if they'd be willing to do some sublimation.

Yay coffee.

phosphorglow

29 May 2014, 16:15

mr_a500 wrote:Wow. I though I saved a few keyboards from certain death, but that was nothing compared to this. What you did is like resurrecting corpses.
Necromancy is another hobby of mine. :P

phosphorglow

29 May 2014, 16:55

I suppose this should go here too:

Icarium

29 May 2014, 23:28

Did you spray paint the plates? Maybe I should try this on my beam spring. :p

Elrick

01 Jun 2014, 04:04

phosphorglow wrote:I suppose this should go here too:

See how beautiful the keys stand out from their coloured backgrounds?

The keyboards scream out to be coloured and you'll see everyone will want one done in their choice :wink: .

quantalume

01 Jun 2014, 04:14

phosphorglow wrote:Actually, now that my coffee is kicking some synapses around...

The shop I worked at had a sublimation printer and a heat press. Slap the sublimation sheet over a piece of metal, heat press it, and voila. Quite a bit simpler than screen printing just one badge.

So I guess find a shop that does awards and trophy's and see if they'd be willing to do some sublimation.

Yay coffee.
Thanks for the suggestions. i also found this: http://www.stereoping.com/eurorack-fron ... e/?lang=en. Basically, you use the toner transfer method the same way you would apply resist to PCBs. It's worth a try on some scrap aluminum first. I'm always hesitant about going to shops and asking them to reproduce someone else's trademarked logo.

ShawnMeg

22 Jul 2014, 04:03

phosphorglow wrote: I suppose this should go here too:

Those look so pretty, I would use them without the top cover on.

silas1128

03 Aug 2014, 00:46

Phos!! These are awesome! Though mine isn't nearly that bad, I'd love to have you do some work on mine.

Return to “Gallery”