What Are Your IBM Model F Preferences? (XT vs AT vs 122...)

Muirium
µ

14 Jun 2014, 15:30

For what it's worth [brag mode engage]my XT feels almost exactly like my Kishsaver, they're more like peas in a pod, in fact, than any two of my handful of Model Ms. Guess it's all that metal, as the Kishsaver is just ahead in pure sharpness[/brag].

Hypersphere

14 Jun 2014, 15:37

Muirium wrote:For what it's worth [brag mode engage]my XT feels almost exactly like my Kishsaver, they're more like peas in a pod, in fact, than any two of my handful of Model Ms. Guess it's all that metal, as the Kishsaver is just ahead in pure sharpness[/brag].
Thanks, I needed that. It [almost] makes me feel better to have an XT and not a KS. ;)

ShawnMeg

14 Jun 2014, 17:42

Hypersphere wrote:
ShawnMeg wrote:My favorite keyboard in terms of feel and sound is the XT, despite the layout.
Excellent! It is good to hear from another XT fan.
Now, if I can only get me hands on one at a reasonable price ....

Hypersphere

14 Jun 2014, 18:11

ShawnMeg wrote:
Hypersphere wrote:
ShawnMeg wrote:My favorite keyboard in terms of feel and sound is the XT, despite the layout.
Excellent! It is good to hear from another XT fan.
Now, if I can only get me hands on one at a reasonable price ....
Unfortunately, the average price of XTs on eBay has been steadily increasing. Nevertheless, I recently purchased two XTs at quite reasonable prices: one was $51 and the other was only $19. Sometimes you can find even better bargains from local and regional sources rather than online.

Among the Model F keyboards, some people prefer the F-122 or the AT, in part because they can be modified in a fairly straightforward way into an ANSI or even a HHKB-like layout. Then of course there is the Kishsaver, which is almost a HHKB with capacitive buckling spring switches. However, these keyboards are relatively scarce and can command high prices. For my money, the XT occupies the sweet spot in the Model F lineup.

Muirium
µ

14 Jun 2014, 18:21

Has anyone seen a Kishsaver for sale since Tinnie's big haul of them last year? As far as I know they really are very scarce indeed.

scottc

14 Jun 2014, 18:22

I've been eagerly looking, and none here...

Muirium
µ

14 Jun 2014, 18:27

I feel for you guys hunting them down. I'm not into this whole thing for rarities, but rather just how good hardware is to use. The Kishsaver is sublime, and it's a pity they're not just a matter of a few hundred bucks away like HHKBs and SSKs, their closest comparisons. In fact, I get the feeling that Kishsaver's are as rare as NIB or Industrial SSKs, which spells a lot of trouble trying to nab one.

I'm yet to get a beam spring, or an HHKB in fact. But I wouldn't trade this for either! It's easily my favourite board now.

scottc

14 Jun 2014, 18:29

I'm not into getting them for a collection, just because they're a solid little board with an almost perfect 60% layout. Pair that with capacitative BS and you've got a winner...

That, and a beam spring, are both high on my list right now.

Muirium
µ

14 Jun 2014, 18:44

Same here, regards collecting. I'm into typing on keyboards. All of mine get active use. Especially the Kishy now Xwhatsit's got it back to the land of the living!

Naturally, Webwit has something even more:

A beam spring ~60%! Not as compact as the Kishsaver though, and I bet it's hellishly thick if you take a look from the sides. But yes, beam spring is definitely still on my interest list.

Hypersphere

14 Jun 2014, 18:47

scottc wrote:I'm not into getting them for a collection, just because they're a solid little board with an almost perfect 60% layout. Pair that with capacitative BS and you've got a winner...

That, and a beam spring, are both high on my list right now.
I, also -- that is, I am seeking a more compact beam spring than the DisplayWriter and, of course, a Kishsaver. While I cannot deny that I am to some degree a collector, when it comes to a compact beam spring -- and especially when it comes to a Kishsaver -- I have every intention of putting these keyboards to serious use.

Hypersphere

14 Jun 2014, 18:50

Muirium wrote:Same here, regards collecting. I'm into typing on keyboards. All of mine get active use. Especially the Kishy now Xwhatsit's got it back to the land of the living!

Spoiler:
A beam spring ~60%! Not as compact as the Kishsaver though, and I bet it's hellishly thick if you take a look from the sides. But yes, beam spring is definitely still on my interest list.
Beautiful! What is the model/part number of this one?

Oh, but there's no IBM logo or pen holder! Nevertheless, I would take one if you paid me enough. ;)

Muirium
µ

14 Jun 2014, 20:51

Webwit's the one to ask. Here's everything I know about it:

http://webwit.nl/input/ibm_beam_spring/rojon

Notably, the cable is quite similar to a Kishsaver's stock cable, even including the fabric tag. But make no mistake: these are different little beasts. Different decades in fact.

webwit
Wild Duck

14 Jun 2014, 22:07

IBM 3277 66-key keyboard. At first glance I can't convert it with the beamspring controller, because the logic and board seem to be mounted on one piece. There should be a couple more out there, it was part of a group buy of 6 keyboards or something like that. Sometimes you find them like this:
http://deskthority.net/photos-f62/poor- ... ml#p161100
Mine was pretty pristine, looked unused, but the rubber protection shield was disintegrating anyway.

Muirium
µ

14 Jun 2014, 22:22

Oh of course, I even commented on that thread! Parak's pictures make it look so much bigger that I didn't recognise the board. Being beam springs, they sure are chunky.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

06 Feb 2015, 03:17

I have the model F, typing on a model M 122 key that I just cleaned and am testing to see if it works. I miss my model F already!

gianni

17 Aug 2017, 17:15

Is it possible to mod a model f replacing the big enter with an ISO enter? I've seen that it's possible to replace it with an ANSI enter...

orihalcon

17 Aug 2017, 17:24

Yes, F122, AT, and 4704 model F's can all accept an iso enter.

Halvar

17 Aug 2017, 22:31

Yes, I agree, although I think all F-122s have an ISO enter by birth. I can't remember to ever have seen an unmodified one with an ANSI enter key.

Chyros

17 Aug 2017, 22:45

AT for sound, F122 for coolness.

Myoth

18 Aug 2017, 02:21

orihalcon wrote: Yes, F122, AT, and 4704 model F's can all accept an iso enter.
But is it possible to make it fully ISO ? meaning you can change the Lshift to have 2 keys instead of the Lshift ?

18 Aug 2017, 03:04

Yup, can split left shift.

wobbled

18 Aug 2017, 03:09

Myoth wrote:
But is it possible to make it fully ISO ? meaning you can change the Lshift to have 2 keys instead of the Lshift ?
Yep entirely possible, I'm pretty sure it's possible to modify all keys to 1u.

fohat
Elder Messenger

18 Aug 2017, 03:17

Myoth wrote:
122-key terminals come with ISO-style Enter, small left shift + 1u beside it, standard-IBM-length space bar, and one 2u vertical key at the lower right corner of numpad. To change any of that physical layout, you would have to take it apart to mod it.
Attachments
layout-122-key.gif
layout-122-key.gif (9.74 KiB) Viewed 5957 times

Mr.Nobody

23 Aug 2017, 12:38

AT for sure...I do a lot of text-editing work...AT is the most suitable keyboard in every respect.

DustGod
Yet another IBM snob

25 Aug 2017, 09:16

How's gaming on a Model F? :)

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

25 Aug 2017, 09:21

DustGod wrote: How's gaming on a Model F? :)
If you don't mind the keyweight and the pretty "intense" clicky feedback it's great. In terms of preference I tend to sway between my XT and Unsaver but the XT has a great compact footprint.

DustGod
Yet another IBM snob

29 Aug 2017, 00:07

Not bad. I haven't restored and converted mine yet, but the switches feel lighter than membrane BS. I gamed (and still game occasionally) on my Model M, so I think I'll enjoy the F!

Halvar

29 Aug 2017, 00:56

I use my F-122 the most, because the almost-modern layout is just great.

I also love my FEXT but it is the loudest keyboard I have, because we had to take out the mat for it to work.

29 Aug 2017, 03:14

Muirium wrote: Same here, regards collecting. I'm into typing on keyboards. All of mine get active use. Especially the Kishy now Xwhatsit's got it back to the land of the living!

There is a smaller beamspring than that, the model number escapes me. Was for a police car terminal from the 70s.

Edit : IBM 2976...

Edit2 : Better pic

DustGod
Yet another IBM snob

29 Aug 2017, 09:50

Not exactly portable for today's standards, but super nice! I wonder if the keyboard is separable from the terminal in a reversible way...

Return to “Keyboards”