Cherry MX Switch Tester

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

24 Apr 2014, 13:48

whitecitadel wrote:This was my complaint, I still want one once they sort the shipping! Lets hope they have settled into Eindhoven in the last few weeks and are ready to offer a more cost effective shipping option for the tester...
mfrstar wrote:
I just tried ordering a tester today from the EU store. Shipping to Denmark was set to be €13.something for a €13.95 product. Seems a bit up there.
Dear Both,

I just checked again with our online shop. And one of the issues for EU is also if you pay with paypal for example and we ship to Kazakhstan or wherever in Eastern Europe and you claim not to have received we have to refund you. With sending it as a tracked package we have proof of arrival and sending.

But if you guys can send me some contact info via PM I will pass that info on to my webshop colleague that will see what he can do and contact you for that asap.

Hope this helps :)

Thanks
Last edited by Bramster on 28 Apr 2014, 08:48, edited 1 time in total.

whitecitadel

24 Apr 2014, 14:00

Never heard of Kazachstan, is it near Kazakhstan?! ;)

What about a DT specific discount code only valid on the tester?

Will drop you a PM, still really want one! :D

mfrstar

24 Apr 2014, 17:53

Dear Both,

I just checked again with our online shop. And one of the issues for EU is also if you pay with paypal for example and we ship to Kazachstan or wherever in Eastern Europe and you claim not to have received we have to refund you. With sending it as a tracked package we have proof of arrival and sending.

But if you guys can send me some contact info via PM I will pass that info on to my webshop colleague that will see what he can do and contact you for that asap.

Hope this helps :)

Thanks
Such service. I don't mind paying with VISA, if that makes any difference. I actually feel like I'd actually rather not use paypal places I suspect being legit :) I'll just hit you with a PM with my contact info.

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

28 Apr 2014, 08:45

whitecitadel wrote:Never heard of Kazachstan, is it near Kazakhstan?! ;)

What about a DT specific discount code only valid on the tester?

Will drop you a PM, still really want one! :D
Haha sorry, typo ;)..

But your PM has been forwarded to webshop colleagues. They will contact you ASAP. Let me know if there are any issues :)..
mfrstar wrote: Such service. I don't mind paying with VISA, if that makes any difference. I actually feel like I'd actually rather not use paypal places I suspect being legit :) I'll just hit you with a PM with my contact info.
Also your PM has been forwarded to the guys from the webshop. They will contact you asap!

Regards,
Bram

whitecitadel

29 Apr 2014, 17:02

Thanks for sorting Bram - Mines about to ship it seems from store order updates, expect pictures in a few days :D

amospalla
let's go

29 Apr 2014, 20:48

Hi, first post on this forum!

Got one of these! I've got blue and black keyboards, but I want to buy a modern one, with the best switch for me, let´s hope this clarifies how all these are!

Muirium
µ

29 Apr 2014, 21:05

Since you've got real keyboards full of black and blue to compare against, you'll also get to test the tester. Single switches never seem to feel like a keyboard does.

amospalla
let's go

29 Apr 2014, 21:20

Right, having real keyboards maybe help me to better understand the tester.

whitecitadel

29 Apr 2014, 23:04

amospalla wrote:Right, having real keyboards maybe help me to better understand the tester.
Definitely!

Sadly my wife said I was not allowed to buy 6 keyboards one in each switch as a tester...

webwit
Wild Duck

29 Apr 2014, 23:07

Same-sex marriage, eh? A wife and her bitch. :twisted:

Muirium
µ

29 Apr 2014, 23:15

One duck goes one way, and the other duck goes the other way. So what?

whitecitadel

30 Apr 2014, 10:26

webwit wrote:Same-sex marriage, eh? A wife and her bitch. :twisted:
Erm?

It could be easy to take offence at your comment?!

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

01 May 2014, 09:48

whitecitadel wrote:
amospalla wrote:Right, having real keyboards maybe help me to better understand the tester.
Definitely!

Sadly my wife said I was not allowed to buy 6 keyboards one in each switch as a tester...
The switch tester is then the best option I think haha... It does also come with a discount code for a mechanical KB on our CM Store (cmstore.eu)

whitecitadel

08 May 2014, 10:30

Look what came yesterday!

First impressions:
Brown = hate them! Can hardly feel the activation point, seem all mushy.
Red = better than I expected
Blue = :mrgreen: (but noise :| )
Green = very interesting, the old digital ANSI I am using at work (undoubtedly membrane) actrually feels osme way towards green/clear/black (actually pretty close to black)
Clear = somehow better than brown, think the heavier spring makes the activation point more pronounced.
black = nice, I can see how red/black would make great daily driver for the office for comfort and speed.

No decisions yet on TKL, plus kinda waiting to see when rapid-i arrives in EU as apart from lighting I like the format and removable USB lead - not a fan of the rapid TKL layout would prefer traditional ten-key.

Tester is hard to get a real feel, I have it on the desk next to me and keep trying things with different fingers. Temptation is to use index fingers all the time, but that was first thing I notice that will lead you astray, you need to use all fingers to get a real "feel".

Thanks to @cmbram for sorting out sensible EU postage option :mrgreen:

P.S. Did someone say Teensy and soldering iron?
Attachments
tester.jpg
tester.jpg (261.19 KiB) Viewed 19145 times

Muirium
µ

08 May 2014, 13:55

So, Whitecitadel, how does the individual switch in the tester match up against those in your keyboard? Tried swapping caps to see what they contribute to the feel?

Testers are much better than just reading about a switch, of course, but I was positively surprised by damped tactile Alps when I tried it out in a full keyboard, instead of just a lonely handful of switches. They're much quicker and more accurate feeling when in a board, to me. The board itself contributes to typing feel, and you really need a whole board to try typing instead of just button pushing anyway…

As for MX clear vs. MX brown: there's more to the difference than the spring. MX clear has a deeper notch on its leaf so the tactile bump is indeed bigger. I may be mangling terminology here, so have a look at pictures!

That's why people make ergo clears – an MX clear with the spring swapped for something lighter, from a red, blue or brown – so they can get the bigger tactile bite while staying light, like brown.

Other than that, the MX lineup is quite logical and CM's tester shows it clearly. You've got clicky, tactile and linear stems to choose between, and two weights of spring. Well… before you wander off the reservation and encounter MX white and the heavy greys!

Anyway, can't argue with the value for money, given that the tester is free once you buy a board. But! I wonder if the discount applies when you buy a NovaTouch or is it just for CM's MX keyboards? I could totally see another couple of switches on there: 45g and 55g Topre with MX stems!

whitecitadel

08 May 2014, 18:56

Muirium wrote: Anyway, can't argue with the value for money, given that the tester is free once you buy a board. But! I wonder if the discount applies when you buy a NovaTouch or is it just for CM's MX keyboards? I could totally see another couple of switches on there: 45g and 55g Topre with MX stems!
Might have mentioned that to CMBram already, see earlier loaded question on is a Topre a mechanical switch? ;) :lol: if the voucher is only valid for "Mechanical Keyboards" ;) I am sure they are working on it.

The tester is limited as of course its a single key, but I would note that the little black box itself is quite weighty, so it gives a good representation of a tactile experience as its not so light it floats away across the desk.

Not building an entire board of Ergo clears... too much work ;)

Grendel

08 May 2014, 21:28

whitecitadel wrote:P.S. Did someone say Teensy and soldering iron?
Yea :mrgreen: Details here.

whitecitadel

08 May 2014, 21:31

Grendel wrote:Yea :mrgreen: Details here.
Yes, I wonder that idea came from :mrgreen:

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

23 May 2014, 11:30

whitecitadel wrote:
No decisions yet on TKL, plus kinda waiting to see when rapid-i arrives in EU as apart from lighting I like the format and removable USB lead - not a fan of the rapid TKL layout would prefer traditional ten-key.

Thanks to @cmbram for sorting out sensible EU postage option :mrgreen:
Hi Whitecitadel,

You are very welcome, hope you enjoy your tester ;)! About the Rapid-i you will see more about this in very very short time.. Haha cannot say more :mrgreen:

whitecitadel

23 May 2014, 12:45

Its ok, I am already on the mailing list so I hope to hear more once more is here...

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

05 Jun 2014, 16:14

whitecitadel wrote:Its ok, I am already on the mailing list so I hope to hear more once more is here...
Then you should have received a email about its arrival in EU yesterday :mrgreen: Correct?

whitecitadel

06 Jun 2014, 09:49

Yes but only in MX brown and ANSI :(
#fail

ogremoustro

20 Jun 2014, 07:03

CM Bram wrote:Hey all,

I figure most of you already have a pretty good knowlegde about the different Cherry MX switches but maybe not everybody here or people who you are helping on other forums or friends and family. Therefore I thought I might as well post this here as well.

We will have in stock shortly in EU and is already in stock in US a Cherry MX switch tester. (Pictures below). This switch tester will ship with a voucher for a discount of the purchase price on a mechanical keyboard from the same EU or US webshop!

EU: http://www.cmstore.eu/cm-storm/keyboard ... ch-tester/
US: http://www.cmstore-usa.com/mechanical-k ... emo-board/

When will this become available in the US again?

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

24 Jun 2014, 11:52

ogremoustro wrote:
When will this become available in the US again?
For both EU and US are they currently out of stock but they have been ordered again and are on the way to fill both stores again. Once we have a confirmed ETA we will put them online as pre-order again and will ship out ASAP on arrival.

If my brain doesnt fail me I will post here once we have a confirmed date of arrival again :)

maxrunner

02 Jul 2014, 12:48

Interested in this too, although the image the clear switch looks like white. Also are these switches the correct springs?or are the G values custom? I'm in Europe and i'm interested.

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

22 Jul 2014, 16:16

whitecitadel wrote: Yes but only in MX brown and ANSI :(
#fail
Also coming with MX Blues and Reds soon ;) Global focus switch is MX Browns as u noticed :) :)

P.s. MX Browns also in ISO btw! Same will go for Blues and Reds when they land as well :mrgreen:

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

22 Jul 2014, 16:20

maxrunner wrote: Interested in this too, although the image the clear switch looks like white. Also are these switches the correct springs?or are the G values custom? I'm in Europe and i'm interested.
Thanks for your question! As you might see in our cmstore.eu they are currently sold out but expected to come back to stock at the end of after summer! We have produced these again and are on the way to EU (and US) again! :mrgreen:

But they are true/normal MX Clears :) :)

macmakkara

23 Jul 2014, 12:41

Link to eu store doesn't work for me. It says "The page you were looking for appears to have been moved, deleted or does not exist."

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

11 Aug 2014, 09:31

macmakkara wrote:Link to eu store doesn't work for me. It says "The page you were looking for appears to have been moved, deleted or does not exist."
Correct, currently out of stock. We expect them to be back online after the summer holidays in Sept.

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

29 Sep 2014, 13:34

Sorry for all the delays but we have them listed back on the cmstore.eu.

http://www.cmstore.eu/cm-storm/keyboard ... ch-tester/ (ETA first week of November )

http://www.cmstore-usa.com/mechanical-k ... emo-board/

Return to “Try before you buy”