Cherry MX alternative shell

Daniel Beardsmore

21 Jun 2014, 15:30

While completely stripping down my G80-3700HAU, I noticed something really odd:
Cherry MX alternate LED position, top.jpg
Cherry MX alternate LED position, top.jpg (575.59 KiB) Viewed 2656 times
The num lock switch isn't a normal Cherry MX switch. The LED position has a "wall" around the LED position. It's not a vintage keyboard either — the plastic moulds were made in March 1997, and the final assembly was from mid-April 1997 (week 17).

A couple more shots:
Cherry MX alternate LED position, side.jpg
Cherry MX alternate LED position, side.jpg (484.02 KiB) Viewed 2656 times
Cherry MX LED position comparison.jpg
Cherry MX LED position comparison.jpg (661.21 KiB) Viewed 2656 times
I've never seen this before, but it's fairly subtle and I missed it the first time when I was photographing the switch previously.

photekq
Cherry Picker

21 Jun 2014, 16:33

All the Cherry boards I have with LEDs have these aswell. 1501, 2100 and also the much older 2000.

Broadmonkey
Fancy Rank

21 Jun 2014, 16:59

Never seen this before, and I had to check your pics a fair few times before I figured out what you ment. I have to check all my boards and see if I have one of these aswell.

cherry-jade

21 Jun 2014, 17:25

It's one kind of cherry switch. A lot of cherry switches with LED like the MX switch just in your photo. It's also have a long feet,if you get the lid off. There should be a long feet in the front of the foot of the LED.

Dubsgalore

21 Jun 2014, 17:28

My 3700 and 2100 have this as well

IvanIvanovich

21 Jun 2014, 17:32

I've come across these before as well, I think either on 1191 or 1501 and also on the Alcatel MMK I had that was made around the same time in mid to late 90's which also all had some windowed keycap as standard. None of my older 80's made boards had those either, nor ones made after 2000 that I have had so far.
I've also seen picture of it for switch part numbers like
MX1A11RW, MX1A11GW, MX1A11YW
which come with preinstalled led on some old datasheet.

Daniel Beardsmore

21 Jun 2014, 19:59

Does anyone know why Cherry did this? I mean, the whole MX series is specifically designed to take an LED, yet when Cherry fit an LED, they use a different shape switch? What is the great big circular hole in the front of the switch for, if it's deemed unsuitable by Cherry for putting an LED into?

I can't see any sign of an extra/larger foot anywhere, and the soldering on my G80-3700 is beautiful so I'm certainly not going to take a switch out :) (It was almost NIB — just a bit of light dust inside and a bit of grime on the case itself. I assume the Cherry sticker originally came on backing paper for optional application, and the previous owner decided to affix it.)

Daniel Beardsmore

22 Jun 2014, 00:13

I've had a look round the wiki; the only page that conclusively depicts the same switch is this one:

[wiki]Cherry G80-1501[/wiki]

I have no other referenceable material at this time.

cherry-jade

22 Jun 2014, 00:47

The eraly cherry for production,and now for bussiness and money.

TheSoulhunter

26 Jun 2014, 08:36

Daniel Beardsmore wrote: Does anyone know why Cherry did this? I mean, the whole MX series is specifically designed to take an LED, yet when Cherry fit an LED, they use a different shape switch? What is the great big circular hole in the front of the switch for...
Jumper wire, fixing wire or diodes?

Daniel Beardsmore

26 Jun 2014, 09:27

None of the above (unless by "diode" you're including LEDs). The diode or jumper goes inside the switch. (The wiki needs some proper photos of these two — large, sharp and clear.)

Return to “Gallery”