Introducing the Ultimate Hacking Keyboard

davkol

30 Jun 2014, 16:02

mondalaci wrote:
davkol wrote: For example, Roccat mice let the system know, when you switch profiles or cpi in hardware. A native system notification doesn't interrupt the workflow as much as looking down at the device. Of course, a specific driver is required.
Native system notifications can be fine but they'd drive the user crazy when popping up all the time upon switching applications.
Who says it has to be annoying? Users can (or should be able to) customize particular notifications (like in KDE).

DerpyDash_xAD

30 Jun 2014, 16:09

Anyway, a specific driver is needed for identification of the system notifications, so that is a non-issue.
But as far as cable goes, I would think one with a hideaway in the case would be good. So a little hatch with the cable in it, you seperate the keyboard and then plug it in.

cookie

30 Jun 2014, 17:06

mondalaci wrote:
DerpyDash_xAD wrote: 3 RGB LEDs at the top could be a lot more compact, and look better, while still transferring plenty of info to the user.
But with the display, I dearly hope we'll be seeing actual function in the display, such as a wpm calculator.
This is definitely a possibility that sounds interesting and we didn't think about it yet. Good idea!
Well this is exactely what I said :/

I wouldn't make features driver dependant, it has to work without drivers at all.
So you can carry your board around and have all the functionality you want, isn't this the main purpose of having a programmable keyboard?

Application driven layout changes? Who actually needs this?
I mean all applications are build to work with a regular keyboard, and you should decide which layout you are using for what, not a programm what requires software on the host pc...

Man this thing is confusing me more and more :?

DerpyDash_xAD

30 Jun 2014, 20:26

Very true Cookie. I think the program specific layers are for games, in which case you'll probably be playing on your own PC anyway.

Grond

01 Jul 2014, 12:08

Hey, what if you call it the Duel Keyboard? Sounds similar to "dual" and may appeal to gamers without being too tacky.

cookie

01 Jul 2014, 13:22

Why don't you call it "Hardcore Ultimate Blowout Laser Mega Epic Extravaganza KEYBOARD" would be a nice logo as well: HUBLMEEK!

Grond

01 Jul 2014, 13:30

I guess they're going to need a bigger cable winder for that! :D

Muirium
µ

01 Jul 2014, 13:31

ÜBER KEYBOARD

Well, until those damn taxis came along. Quit stealing our precious superlatives, brandmeisters!

scottc

01 Jul 2014, 13:42

cookie wrote: Why don't you call it "Hardcore Ultimate Blowout Laser Mega Epic Extravaganza KEYBOARD" would be a nice logo as well: HUBLMEEK!
I like this one!

Laser
emacs -nw

01 Jul 2014, 13:44

Grond wrote: I guess they're going to need a bigger cable winder for that! :D
Ah, this reminds me of the joke with the "Wendy" tattoo ...
Spoiler:
The actual tattooed message was "Welcome to Malibu, we wish you a long and happy holiday".
Guess the member name and the probable skin complexion of its owner ...

Grond

01 Jul 2014, 13:50

Down with the epic and self indulgent names! If you want to be honest, you could call it the "Criticized by Deskthority Keyboard", though it's a bit vague because it applies to every keyboard currently produced by any manufacturer worldwide. "Almost There Split Keyboard" or "Nobody's Perfect Keyboard" will do.

Muirium
µ

01 Jul 2014, 14:05

Actually, an official Criticised by Deskthority certificate could be a badge of honour!

Like this guy, only way less impressed!

mondalaci

02 Jul 2014, 19:59

cookie wrote:
mondalaci wrote:
DerpyDash_xAD wrote: 3 RGB LEDs at the top could be a lot more compact, and look better, while still transferring plenty of info to the user.
But with the display, I dearly hope we'll be seeing actual function in the display, such as a wpm calculator.
This is definitely a possibility that sounds interesting and we didn't think about it yet. Good idea!
Well this is exactely what I said :/

I wouldn't make features driver dependant, it has to work without drivers at all.
So you can carry your board around and have all the functionality you want, isn't this the main purpose of having a programmable keyboard?

Application driven layout changes? Who actually needs this?
I mean all applications are build to work with a regular keyboard, and you should decide which layout you are using for what, not a programm what requires software on the host pc...

Man this thing is confusing me more and more :?
The idea is to store every setting and keymap in the on board memory. However, there are applications featuring hardcoded defaults that would be great to customize. When switching between such applications it makes sense to automatically switch keymaps. For that a host side application is required.

mondalaci

02 Jul 2014, 20:00

Grond wrote: Down with the epic and self indulgent names! If you want to be honest, you could call it the "Criticized by Deskthority Keyboard", though it's a bit vague because it applies to every keyboard currently produced by any manufacturer worldwide. "Almost There Split Keyboard" or "Nobody's Perfect Keyboard" will do.
Made my day! :)

Return to “News”