APL Unsaver pictures

The_Beast

08 Sep 2014, 08:43

Now that I have a decent camera, here are some pictures of my recently acquired unsaver with OG APL caps:

Hack orange and APL aren't a great match but hey, what can you do!

A comparison between OG APL and the unicomp APL. The Unicomp are on my SSK and the OGs are above those:

Thought I'd share on DT as well

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

08 Sep 2014, 09:29

very very nice what you have there The_Beast, not too many of those around. I love that formfactor with that top functionkey row, awesome!. I don´t see Hack on there anywhere, but that´s a matter of taste!

Thanks for posting!

Cheers.

andrewjoy

08 Sep 2014, 09:50

That is so nice, me wants !

I am a fan of 1 part caps myself but the caps you have there look amazing.

Personally i would change the stepped F style caps for M ones as i have done on my 122 key.

I wonder if ISO conversion is possible on the space-unsaver and 122 , hmm

the back plate is in amazing condition you lucky boy
Last edited by andrewjoy on 08 Sep 2014, 09:50, edited 1 time in total.

HAL

08 Sep 2014, 09:50

Very nice, even APL caps.

In my opinion a 1387033 converted to US ANSI would be a good candidate for: "the one keyboard to rule them all"
- Model F - the most rewarding click
- good form factor
- old and heavy
- rare
- will probably last forever

REVENGE

08 Sep 2014, 10:02

Swell find!

This reminds me, does anyone know how late IBM continued to manufacture their Model Fs? Can anyone confirm whether or not Lexmark continued making them after the keyboard business transfer?

andrewjoy

08 Sep 2014, 10:28

I don't think Lexmark ever made model F keyboards, IBM UK and IBM USA are the only ones i have seen. It would be amazing if they did as unicomp would have had the tooling from them :).

I would go 1/2 ansi / iso.

I like ansi enter but i prefer the iso layout for " and @ and the \ next to the Z above the enter could be used for something less commonly used possibly caps lock ?

And yes my model F 122 will last forever i have over 80 spare barrels and springs :)

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

08 Sep 2014, 11:03

And yes my model F 122 will last forever i have over 80 spare barrels and springs
:shock: :lol:

that´s a supply for a 100+ years.

The_Beast

08 Sep 2014, 15:17

andrewjoy wrote: That is so nice, me wants !

I am a fan of 1 part caps myself but the caps you have there look amazing.

Personally i would change the stepped F style caps for M ones as i have done on my 122 key.

I wonder if ISO conversion is possible on the space-unsaver and 122 , hmm

the back plate is in amazing condition you lucky boy

Yea, I'm not sure if I want to keep it 100% original or do the non-stepped control/alt keys and a standard ANSI layout. I'm almost 100% sure you can convert it since you can with all others model Fs

jacobolus

09 Sep 2014, 04:46

I’m pretty sure you can convert it to ANSI. Also, some (all?) unsavers have 4 extra pads around the arrows on the right wired up, so with some top plate modding you could in theory get that whole 3x5 block to the right full of keys. Or maybe it’s only Parak’s that has that feature.

Here’s a picture of an unsaver PCB from Parak, and an album where he added keys over there. Supposedly the pad between right ctrl and right alt is wired together but doesn’t actually emit usable codes. :/
https://imgur.com/a/W3Hci

andrewjoy

09 Sep 2014, 10:09

I am so tempted to try that on my 122 make a matrix of keys where the arrow cluster is,

that way i can have an inverted T at the bottom and the 9 keys that are on a standard board where they should be.

I could then put windows key and something else ( layer switch to mouse with arrow keys ? ) next to the arrows and have the F1 to F10 on the left reserved for autohotkey macros. PF1 to PF24 will be assigned to F1 to F24.

The probelm i have is my metalwork stills are a joke!

jacobolus

09 Sep 2014, 11:16

andrewjoy wrote: I am so tempted to try that on my 122 make a matrix of keys where the arrow cluster is,
No, it won’t work on the F122, those pads aren’t wired up.

andrewjoy

09 Sep 2014, 11:58

such a shame :(

Findecanor

09 Sep 2014, 14:35

Huh.. I had never realized before that the size of the surface on the Model M's Caps Lock key is 1.375 units, while others are 1.25 or 1.5.

I'm not a fan of APL.. Weird language. Even though it has all these "proper" mathematical symbols for operators, it does not have operator precedence like real math. The evaluation order is not even left-to-right like when there is equal precedence in other languages, but instead right-to-left. Because of its weirdness and difficulty to understand, like Perl it is practically a write-only language.
I also think that IBM could have merged the APL symbols with the other regular symbolic on the Alt Gr keys combos back when they practically owned the PC and had control to do it, so that programmers wouldn't have to learn two different sets of key combinations.

dorkvader

10 Sep 2014, 04:09

oh cool I was wodnering where this turned up.

I had a chance to acquire one of these for $107 about a year or so ago, (after I figured out the part number) but passed it up. Good to see it's still in the community.

I notice it has the cool bottom pan unlike the 1387033. Do you mind opening the case and photographing the controller (and especially the clips that hold the plate together?)

I would like to compare it to my unsavers for IBM CAD work. (picures soon to be rehosted)

The_Beast

10 Sep 2014, 05:12

dorkvader wrote: oh cool I was wodnering where this turned up.

I had a chance to acquire one of these for $107 about a year or so ago, (after I figured out the part number) but passed it up. Good to see it's still in the community.

I notice it has the cool bottom pan unlike the 1387033. Do you mind opening the case and photographing the controller (and especially the clips that hold the plate together?)

I would like to compare it to my unsavers for IBM CAD work. (picures soon to be rehosted)

That would be no problem once I get xwhatsit model F controller in.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

21 Feb 2015, 16:16

I would love one of these boards. It seems like that board that calls to you. I rarely use the numpad but I love the battleship layout.

John Doe

12 Jan 2021, 12:42

I'm afraid not all unsavers' PCBs are same in the arrows cluster zone, mine has a very similar trace like f122, means the four extra keys were unconnected to the matrix, am I the only one who got this?

Return to “Gallery”