IBM SSK club!

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

05 Sep 2014, 20:06

Thanks. Yes your sticker looks the same. Those are well travelled ssk's then.

Madhias
BS TORPE

05 Sep 2014, 20:19

Strange for me is the blue IBM logo. Aren't blue logos after '91 or '92? In the Wikipedia model list your's is marked with a grey logo, also the models i found with your number have a grey logo. Maybe some restauration made in the past?

Also interesting regarding the frame to quote dorkvader from GH: "IBM switched to white (beige) barrel frames in about 1989-1991 or so for the "beige label" model Ms of the time. Lexmark switched back to black, so beige was only used for a short while."

webwit
Wild Duck

05 Sep 2014, 20:43

madhias wrote: Welcome to the club! Regarding the sticker: i think it's from TaoBao or something like this, maybe it came from Asia in the past. One of my SSKs has almost the same sticker(s), i asked Tinnie, and he said it's from TaoBao/China.
Spoiler:
I like the beige keycap frames, they fit much better than the black frames.
That label says "Made by k3kc" in Chinese! :?

seebart

05 Sep 2014, 21:20

Strange for me is the blue IBM logo. Aren't blue logos after '91 or '92? In the Wikipedia model list your's is marked with a grey logo, also the models i found with your number have a grey logo. Maybe some restauration made in the past?
well possibly my first ssk is a franken-ssk, I´ll live with it ;)

And I´m not likey going to get another one anytime soon, importing from phosphorglow was the other option. More expensive for a super clean bolt-modded ssk though. But the shipping and customs turned me off.
That label says "Made by k3kc" in Chinese!
well we all know what http://www.k3kc.com/ is, I could drop them a line and inquire about my (new) old keyboard! :lol:

Custom layout now:
IMGP6719.JPG
IMGP6719.JPG (1006.21 KiB) Viewed 9966 times
Having some fun with terminal caps:
IMGP6745.JPG
IMGP6745.JPG (1007.98 KiB) Viewed 9950 times

Josh

12 Sep 2014, 19:04

New hereImage

seebart

13 Sep 2014, 21:05

very nice Josh, can we get some specs on your ssk?

And what the hell is that "other" keyboard doing in that picture? :evilgeek: (just kidding)

Josh

16 Sep 2014, 04:46

seebart wrote:very nice Josh, can we get some specs on your ssk?

And what the hell is that "other" keyboard doing in that picture? :evilgeek: (just kidding)
That's 356CL DGE

Josh

16 Sep 2014, 04:48

snoopy

16 Sep 2014, 09:55

Nice! Real industrial or only topshell?

Josh

16 Sep 2014, 10:55

snoopy wrote:Nice! Real industrial or only topshell?
It's real

Josh

16 Sep 2014, 11:06

webwit wrote:
madhias wrote: Welcome to the club! Regarding the sticker: i think it's from TaoBao or something like this, maybe it came from Asia in the past. One of my SSKs has almost the same sticker(s), i asked Tinnie, and he said it's from TaoBao/China.
Spoiler:
I like the beige keycap frames, they fit much better than the black frames.
That label says "Made by k3kc" in Chinese! :?
LOL that's the the name of that shop, and says invalid if broken. something like a guarantee

seebart

16 Sep 2014, 18:49

They must have sold some ssk's. Mine has that sticker too and the sticker is broken, but my ssk is not :D

dustinhxc

21 Sep 2014, 02:18

HUGE Thanks goes out to Skcheng for my first Buckling Spring IBM Space Saving Keyboard! 87' Model, I love the legends! I have performed the floss mod as well, it sounds great.
This is a beautiful restoration done by Phosphorglow, big thanks to you too for this amazing restore. Fantastic job throughout the entire board!

Last edited by dustinhxc on 22 Sep 2014, 07:15, edited 1 time in total.

The_Beast

21 Sep 2014, 04:16

HipsterPunks

22 Sep 2014, 07:15

seebart wrote: They must have sold some ssk's. Mine has that sticker too and the sticker is broken, but my ssk is not :D
Beautiful boards beast and dustin, so pleasing seeing all these wonderful SSK's :D

dustinhxc

22 Sep 2014, 08:12

HipsterPunks wrote:
seebart wrote: They must have sold some ssk's. Mine has that sticker too and the sticker is broken, but my ssk is not :D
Beautiful boards beast and dustin, so pleasing seeing all these wonderful SSK's :D

Thank You! I agree, nice board BEast! :D :mrgreen:

seebart

25 Sep 2014, 15:12

I got my 5.5mm / 7/32" Screwdriver from madhias yesterday so I went ahead and opened my FRANKEN SSK.

Looks suprisingly clean.
IMGP6936.JPG
IMGP6936.JPG (995.65 KiB) Viewed 9646 times
IMGP6930.JPG
IMGP6930.JPG (992.81 KiB) Viewed 9646 times

Muirium
µ

25 Sep 2014, 15:37

These China-sourced SSKs come refurbished!

macmakkara

25 Sep 2014, 15:46

Nice. I should post some pics of mine. Mine has 7 rivers broken. Opened yesterday to check how many of those are broken. Now just need to source some nuts and bolts and then find my dremel and drills...

Im going to do bolt mod on my early M first to get hand of it then my SSK will be my next victim!

Also need to continue with my Beamspring refurbishing but not in hurry yet cause don't have controller.

mr_a500

25 Sep 2014, 15:52

macmakkara wrote: Nice. I should post some pics of mine. Mine has 7 rivers broken.
Broken rivers are hard to fix. :P

Hypersphere

25 Sep 2014, 15:54

Need some bridges over those troubled waters!

seebart

25 Sep 2014, 16:01

"These China-sourced SSKs come refurbished!"
so it seems, so I guess I got the clean cheap version with numbers NOT matching :?

And the bonus is the beige barrel.

@ The_Beast that´s really nice looking, love those caps. Respect. ;)
Last edited by seebart on 25 Sep 2014, 20:13, edited 2 times in total.

macmakkara

25 Sep 2014, 16:07

Oh lol nice typo there =D Need to get some Metal bars for bridges!

HipsterPunks

07 Oct 2014, 10:04

seebart

07 Oct 2014, 12:21

cool picture HipsterPunks, is that a Pexon cable on your SSK?

HipsterPunks

07 Oct 2014, 14:10

seebart wrote: cool picture HipsterPunks, is that a Pexon cable on your SSK?
Hey thanks man, i was playing with my focus for fun and really liked how it turned out. I believe the cable was made by zeal however i am not 100% sure, it came with the SSK. You just reminded me i have to place an order with pexon for some new colors :)

Madhias
BS TORPE

19 Oct 2014, 20:44

Time to post my screw & bolt modded SSK here! Using this keyboard now for about one and a half month, and every other keyboard related project is postponed for a while. I definitely have to post some pictures of the screw & bolt mod, since i learned a lot and even if there are zillions of guides out there, it's always nice to compare different approaches. I also installed a Teensy, and use a golden Pexon cable. I know, pimp my keyboard...

The legends of this '91 SSK are the nicest one of the Model M's i got, they are thin, dark blue and very sharp. The caps of all other M's i have are not that nice. Most of them are little bit blurred, and / or rather brown.

cinnamonrollz

19 Oct 2014, 21:30

madhias wrote: Time to post my screw & bolt modded SSK here! Using this keyboard now for about one and a half month, and every other keyboard related project is postponed for a while. I definitely have to post some pictures of the screw & bolt mod, since i learned a lot and even if there are zillions of guides out there, it's always nice to compare different approaches. I also installed a Teensy, and use a golden Pexon cable. I know, pimp my keyboard...
Spoiler:
The legends of this '91 SSK are the nicest one of the Model M's i got, they are thin, dark blue and very sharp. The caps of all other M's i have are not that nice. Most of them are little bit blurred, and / or rather brown.
Spoiler:
My M5-2 has those kind of caps. Beautiful aren't they? They look more purple than blue to me.

Khers

05 Nov 2014, 18:36

Applying for membership in the SSK club!

Got it yesterday. Unfortunately it's missing a spring on Pause:

Somebody got a spare spring or know where to get one??

Also, can't decide on whether to go original or to use RGB modifiers that came with the board, Think it's going to be original for now though...

Muirium
µ

05 Nov 2014, 18:47

Like most things Model M, Unicomp sells them:

http://pckeyboard.com/page/Misc/PVPLASM

I have a fair few spares, but shipping to Sweden is about 4 Euros from here. Your best fix would be if someone more local has some spares, too.

Nice bundle by the way: I've still no RGB mods, myself.

Return to “Gallery”