Do Germans Call The Nubs On F and J keys Brustwarze?

ripster

27 Aug 2011, 23:33

Just wondering.

Seems like a funny word. Brustwarze means "breast warts".

And why no nipples on the F, J on Cherry Corps. Is there history there? Calvinism censorship?

Repost but still applies. I just love these spoiler tags.
Spoiler:
Cherry Corp Nubs.jpeg
Cherry Corp Nubs.jpeg (47.45 KiB) Viewed 6130 times

Minskleip

27 Aug 2011, 23:51

English is the odd duckling when it comes to nipplings. A nippel is a small pipe used for connecting pipes.

According to Das II, it helps locating the F and J keys. Ist schneller.

Konrad

28 Aug 2011, 00:18

Ist schneller the schnellest it can be?

Uberboss: Type faster! Schnell! Schnell!
Unterling: I'm schnelling, I'm schnelling!

I never liked "nubs" anyhow, it's too untechnical sounding, might as well call them "bumpies". Or "brustwarze", ja.

I refer to them as "anchors" or "calibrators". It makes them sound impressive.

fossala
Elite +1

28 Aug 2011, 00:20

anchors, I like that I think that's what I will call them from now.

Konrad

28 Aug 2011, 02:29

Please, forgive my nub noobness, but are keycaps available for Cherry Blacks which position the anchors on DF JK keys? Yeah, I'm a freak, I prefer anchors on DK instead of (or in addition to) those on FJ. Ist schneller for me.

ripster

28 Aug 2011, 03:09

Anchor? What a lack of imagination.

So, any Germans here?

Konrad

28 Aug 2011, 03:57

Homemade K-brustwarze, a pinhead embedded into that dye-sublimed plastic? Or is it something one can purchase, preferably with little-horizontal-line bumpy instead of round-pinhead bumpy?

ripster

28 Aug 2011, 04:18

It's an Apple AEKII key so not Cherry MX.

You STILL think it looks like an anchor?
Attachments
I've Got The Wierdest Boner.png
I've Got The Wierdest Boner.png (204.49 KiB) Viewed 6082 times

Konrad

28 Aug 2011, 05:13

I'll have to admit I initially didn't see where you were going with that. Sorry, I tend to ignore pinhead sized anatomy and keyboards generally don't give me boners, I must be getting old or something.

I attempted to discover exactly what LEGO™ calls their nipply bits since they make so many they should have come up with nice engineering terms for them.

Alas, the official LEGO™ site is really cool but doesn't provide any technical terminology at all, they seem to assume the mysteries of LEGO™ blocks are an intuitively interlocking tautology self-evident even to infants and OCN members. Various universities and robotics development pdfs refer to them alternately as nubs or bumps (eww). Wikipedia shows unusual cunning in providing technical dimensions without including any meaningful part labels.
Spoiler:
Most LEGO™ patents (example) don't even bother assigning names or descriptors, they typically just refer to the "trademarked LEGO™ system" and show a few photographs any child and most GHers can immediately understand. The earliest LEGO™ patent I could find describes the parts of their parts in a variety of clumsy ways, although it does offer "interconnecting cylindrical pins (and tubular recesses)", "cylindrical projections", and "cylindrical tabs (and slots)". I don't think any of these really apply to keycaps, especially since keyboards already have Tabs and they're rarely designed to interlock.

So I'm sticking with anchors. Nubs and bumps just sound too sucky for my taste.

ripster

28 Aug 2011, 05:48

Dude....

I'm more interested in what the Germans have to say. I see Americans all day.

Definition of Nipple.
5. Any small physical protrusion, such as the lumps on the F and J keys on American keyboards.
So Tits or GTFO.

Konrad

28 Aug 2011, 06:00

You'll note the fake silicon tits on the iPad. What's the point?

Incidentally: Canadian from Canada, the North American country with real beer.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

28 Aug 2011, 08:36

I confess I read ripster's posts in this thread although he is on my ignore list (as I'm not interested in pathetic clowns),
but well, I had to in order to understand the other postings, and I'm definitely interested in language issues.

I wonder why ripster asked that anyway.
He should learn correct usage of his mother tongue before trying to understand single words of any other language.
I remember from GH he does not differentiate between "it's" and "its".
That's nothing I would normally blame anyone for, but obviously ripster is merely interested in chauvinist postings - in both meanings of the word:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chauvinism

So I think he doesn't really want an answer, but here it is: no.

lal

28 Aug 2011, 09:24

According to Wikipedia they're called "kleine Erhebung zur Blindorientierung".

webwit
Wild Duck

28 Aug 2011, 09:27

That's not a word. Kleinblindorientierungserhebung is.

lal

28 Aug 2011, 10:22

*I* would call them Grundstellungsertastungshilfen.

webwit
Wild Duck

28 Aug 2011, 10:33

I wonder what German Scrabble is like.

Konrad

28 Aug 2011, 10:41

It's probably something like "Scrabblezufälliggemischtbriefebrettspiel" ... of course I don't speak any German at all, just guessing.

Btw, what do those crazy long German words actually mean?
Last edited by Konrad on 28 Aug 2011, 10:47, edited 1 time in total.

webwit
Wild Duck

28 Aug 2011, 10:43

These games are probably very short, the person who starts will construct one word with all the pieces and wins.

Konrad

28 Aug 2011, 10:49

Yeah, and the problem with Scrabble is there's always some cheap dickhead who just sticks an S at the end of your long word to score a ton of free points. High scores in German Scrabble could be in the megapoints.

yakill

28 Aug 2011, 11:51

I don't think there is a special word for them, at least none commonly used came to my mind.
Germans will probably use some descriptive terms like "Tastmarken"/"haptische Marken" or "Orientierungserhebungen".

Scrabble sucks there is not enough space for words like: Rindfleischetikettierungsüberwachungsaufgabenübertragungsgesetz

Findecanor

28 Aug 2011, 13:49

Konrad wrote:You'll note the fake silicon tits on the iPad. What's the point?

Yeah. The staggering is not standard either. Can you go "Otaku" on iPad's embedded keyboard and disable the legends? Only then would it make sense... :roll:
Konrad wrote:Yeah, and the problem with Scrabble is there's always some cheap dickhead who just sticks an S at the end of your long word to score a ton of free points.
Isn't that against the rules? I am unsure.. because the rules have changed somewhat in the Swedish "Alfapet" game.

The Solutor

28 Aug 2011, 15:29

ripster wrote: So, any Germans here?
A lot of them. :lol:
Attachments
us.png
us.png (72.96 KiB) Viewed 6006 times

ripster

28 Aug 2011, 16:35

kbdfr wrote:I confess I read ripster's posts in this thread although he is on my ignore list (as I'm not interested in pathetic clowns),
but well, I had to in order to understand the other postings, and I'm definitely interested in language issues.

I wonder why ripster asked that anyway.
He should learn correct usage of his mother tongue before trying to understand single words of any other language.
I remember from GH he does not differentiate between "it's" and "its".
That's nothing I would normally blame anyone for, but obviously ripster is merely interested in chauvinist postings - in both meanings of the word:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chauvinism

So I think he doesn't really want an answer, but here it is: no.

Thank you for answering my question! Danke Schoen. (I don't do umlauts, too lazy).

But a simple "No" or "Nein, Mein Herren" would have worked too.

wupi

28 Aug 2011, 18:34

Do Germans Call The Nubs On F and J keys Brustwarze?
Nö.

ripster

28 Aug 2011, 19:29

Watch it or Sixty will ban you for improper use of umlauts.

I don't think Germans get my sense of humor.
German Sense Of Humour.png
German Sense Of Humour.png (331.07 KiB) Viewed 5975 times
"Orientierungserhebungen"? Sounds like a Chinese Steam Bath in San Francisco.

wupi

28 Aug 2011, 21:47

I don't think Germans get my sense of humor.
Like the rest of the world. Image

The Solutor

28 Aug 2011, 22:19

wupi wrote: Like the rest of the world. Image
Hahahahaha...

Return to “Keyboards”