New year's resolutions [2015]

matt3o
-[°_°]-

31 Dec 2014, 10:50

Okay. 2014 is over. Time to look ahead.

The second half of the year has been terrible for me for personal and work-related matters. I was also forced to put some on my projects on hold. I hope 2015 will bring the prophetic wind of change.

Keyboard speaking 2014 has been quite a year.

RGB keyboards, more 60% also in ALPS fragrance, more Topre keyboards, more switch choice (even clones), more keycaps than we could ever use. Custom keyboards are also a big deal now, massdrop has a custom keyboard GB basically every month.

Big missed opportunity too though. Unicomp failing to deliver the SSK being the most notable let down.

What to expect for the 2015?

More custom keyboards. More ergonomic keyboards... and I dare saying... more wireless keyboards (especially in small form factor).

So new year's resolutions. Well, for me recovering from these last 6 months :) Keyboard speaking, I will finally try to use a HHKB on a regular basis to see if this layout is as good as people swear.

Also I want to bring my 65% and my C64-like keyboard to light. I won't probably be able to do both, but the 65% is very close to reality (crossing fingers). I really hope the topre PBT spacebar will work out... and finally the PBT dyesub High profile keycap set!

Another dream? Build a retro-computer museum... one can dream, right?!

So what the 2014 has been to you? What are your 2015 resolutions?

Cheers and Happy new Year!

7bit

31 Dec 2014, 11:39

- shipping Round 5, 5a and 6
- shipping all outstanding CherryMX and grab bag orders
- ordering Hyper prototypes in all sizes
- winning DTA in all categories
:roll:

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

31 Dec 2014, 13:30

my main 2015 resolution is not to plan resolutions that might not happen for whatever reasons. Too negative? I don´t think so. Keep my goals realistic. That could be my main resolution.

Topre Enthusiast

31 Dec 2014, 13:36

Keyboard-wise for me I went a bit crazy in 2014. I got the following:

Topre: Other:
2014 was my first year as a home "owner" and I think I've realised, especially lately, that there is not really much space in the budget for toys any more. My NY resolution is to try and keep 2015 a bit more responsible in terms of spending. I'll still be picking up the odd thing here and there, and if some obscure Topre board pops up, it will still be difficult to resist pulling the trigger.

Thanks to everyone here for a great year. I've had the pleasure of getting to know some of you on a more personal level, and I hope 2015 brings more of the same. I still visit Deskthority daily and it will always occupy the coveted #1 position on my bookmarks bar. 2015 is 1.5 hours away for me, but I'll say it now anyway; Happy new year!!

andrewjoy

31 Dec 2014, 13:37

sort out my office . build myself a lac rack and switch my daily driver from 122f to beam spring

try a topre somehow

seebart

31 Dec 2014, 13:40

My NY resolution is to try and keep 2015 a bit more responsible in terms of spending.
yes I should adopt that resolution for myself but for some reason I keep ignoring, avoiding and neglecting that one. :lol:

Happy new year 002, I have approx. ten hours to go.

Muirium
µ

31 Dec 2014, 14:03

Top (Therefore One True) Priority: publish my book. I've been sitting on first draft since summer, knowing there's stilla lot of work to do. Do it!

Keyboard priorities: visit my Cindy haul, fix up my two 3276 beamsprings, photograph a whole lot of Round 5 caps on my NovaTouches and custom MX boards, finish up Facetsesame's Soarer in a Box, revive the M84 wireless keyboard project with Pyrelink, resist more GBs, while maybe designing a Greek, Egyptian, goodness knows what set, try not to convince myself I need more Topre any time too soon, and all without driving Matteo, 7bit, 002 and my usual conspirators mental in the process.

Yeesh. Guess I'd better procrastinate from all that keyboard stuff by working on the book then!

Khers

31 Dec 2014, 14:06

seebart wrote:
My NY resolution is to try and keep 2015 a bit more responsible in terms of spending.
yes I should adopt that resolution for myself but for some reason I keep ignoring, avoiding and neglecting that one. :lol:
I think that will have to be my new years resolution as well. I also got a bit carried away acquiring keyboards and keycaps this year. During 2014 (mind you, I only started coming here in September) I got the following
  • Buckling Spring: 5291 Bigfoot, 2x SSK, 2x Regular Model Ms
  • Topre: HHKB Pro 2, Realforce 87ub Silent
  • Alps: AEKII
  • Cherry: ErgoDox, Leopold FC 210TP, Poker 2
Guess I know what I want now - so hopefully I can go a bit easier on the spending. Or else, the significant other will probably declare me legally incompetent and freeze my funds. :shock:

seebart

31 Dec 2014, 14:14

So you got all those great KB's in that short time? And your significant other thinks that's OK? I wish I had your life! [emoji14]

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

31 Dec 2014, 14:15

Muirium wrote: Yeesh. Guess I'd better procrastinate from all that keyboard stuff by working on the book then!
When you publish your book I want a signed copy :mrgreen:

Muirium
µ

31 Dec 2014, 14:16

Hmm… do people still do print these days? I've been into ebooks for years myself!

Since this is Acquisitions Anonymous, here's my list this year (that I can remember):
Been a BIG year. Much of it thanks to Cindy. Definitely need to cool it down a bit now, or I'll need more shelves.

Let's not get started on caps…

wheybags

31 Dec 2014, 14:28

2 beamsprings, you bastard!
giiiiief :p

DanielT

31 Dec 2014, 14:29

Some people still print, and I do buy the books I really like. I use also e-books. If you print it I will buy it :) If it's an e-book I will still buy it but I will miss the printed and signed one :)

Muirium
µ

31 Dec 2014, 14:38

Depends who bites and wants to publish it then I guess. I'm a virgin when it comes to all that! It's like before I got my first IBM all over again…

@Wheybags: I grabbed my second (from Cindy) because I was having a lot of trouble getting my first 3276 working, it was one that Halvar got for me from the Rustmaster in Dresden. I still haven't got it up and running perfectly. It may well be a project for someone else to take from me, but I still need to get the Cindy 3276 over from America before I'll part with it!

wheybags

31 Dec 2014, 14:41

What's wrong with it? xwhatsit controller not working?

Muirium
µ

31 Dec 2014, 14:45

The controller works, but it picks up a lot of false signals. The keyboard's insides were affected by whatever foul environment the previous owner stored all his boards in. I blame that mungy rust you can see in my pictures:

I cleaned all that off, but there's something still funny that needs detective work.

Khers

31 Dec 2014, 15:32

@seebart OK is a strong word :roll:

@Muirium Woha! I admit defeat! That's a list of some mighty fine keyboards! Especially jelly of your beam springs!

seebart

31 Dec 2014, 15:32

I'll take your rust project Mu!
Sell off keyboards that I don't use/need.
there is another nobrainer for my 2015 resolution. Buy less sell more. :geek:
Last edited by seebart on 31 Dec 2014, 16:58, edited 1 time in total.

Findecanor

31 Dec 2014, 16:49

This I did/acquired in 2014:
- Made my "SchmergoDox" work. Vintage MX Blues, modified layout, custom plate. Failed building a case...
- Purchased Ducky G2PRO TKL with MX Clears from another board member and added Leopold keycaps
- Various rubber domes: Key Tronic, broken Apple aluminium, BTC 5140, Cherry G83-6015LQNSF
- Won a Novatouch TKL at the DTA.

Resolutions/projects for 2015:
- Install MX stems into Cherry G83 keycaps and put them on my modified G80-11800. (75% finished)
- Get my thumb out of my donkey, make my AVR firmware release-worthy and actually release it. (which I was supposed to have done already)
- Get the Westron project complete enough for at least an interest-thread for PCBs.
- Build a custom compact kb with direct wiring if the Red Scarf II doesn't get going soon.
- Sell off keyboards that I don't use/need.

DanielT

31 Dec 2014, 17:01

Well, for 2014 was a nice year:
-got my first mechanical keyboard - PokerX with MX Reds
-got my dear HHKB
-entered the Korean keyboard world and now I'm a proud owner of 2 GON NerD60 and one SPRiT faceW
-got one cool key set - Galaxy Class
-won my first Bro Cap in a giveaway
-together with Alin we ran some crazy single cap GB's, and that was a lot of fun :D

But the most important thing is that I got to know a lot of cool people from all over the world.

For 2015:
-enjoy life :)
-spend more wisely in keyboard related stuff
-make some work related changes, have to start working for a company I actually like and do something I like.

@andrewjoy: I'm building a rack myself :) It's Lack inspired but wee bigger for my home datacenter, I have to relocated it from the current location (that reads on top and left/right of the freezer :)) ). My SUN Ultra 10 will have a new home alongside with the other computers and gizmos.

woody
Count Troller

31 Dec 2014, 17:16

matt3o wrote: So new year's resolutions. Well, for me recovering from these last 6 months :)
This.

DanielT

31 Dec 2014, 17:24

Forgot the most important thing:
Happy New Year !

mr_a500

31 Dec 2014, 17:41

2014 has been a pretty bland, unexciting year.

I did get my row/sail boat late in the year, but didn't have enough time to do much before it got too cold.
videoshot-2014-11-17-19h36m25s74.jpg
But 2015 is going to be awesome. I'll be sailing off into infinity. I might be sailing to my untimely (or very timely) death. But who knows? Either way, it'll be exciting.

Sadly, I won't be taking my beam spring sailing with me - far too heavy. That would be like the Titanic taking aboard the iceberg that hit it.

seebart

31 Dec 2014, 17:45

wow very impressive your row/sail boat. Your beamspring would sink that though! Don´t try it! :lol:

photekq
Cherry Picker

31 Dec 2014, 17:54

I think I went a bit mad this year. All the money I've earnt in the past year has gone on keyboards. I've been incredibly happy with the ones I've bought this year. Stuff I thought I would never get due to rarity.

I've now got over 20.. Have I gone too far? How many is too many? I'd say the average value of them is around $250 too, so they're not cheap ones :S

In 2015 my main goal, or rather hope, is to find my two most wanted keyboards : The ESA-3000-HASRO and G81-3004SAT.

Other goals :

Complete my first GB with GMK, which will start soon.
Manage my spending a little bit.
Convert my beamspring.
Restore and convert my F107.
Finish my SUN G81 mod.
Start designing my second custom keyboard.
Improve my photography skills.

seebart

31 Dec 2014, 17:58

you went mad in a good way photekq! $ 250 PER keyboard? Jeeez! That is a lot of $$$ then! :o :shock:

I´m more like a keyboard miser, I allways try to stuff as cheap as possible. Of course this is almost impossible with super rare kb´s.

The most I spent on a keyboard is € 150 on my SSK.
Last edited by seebart on 31 Dec 2014, 18:03, edited 2 times in total.

photekq
Cherry Picker

31 Dec 2014, 18:00

seebart wrote: you went mad in a good way photekq! $ 250 PER keyboard? Jeeez! That is a lot of $$$ then! :o :shock:
I didn't necessarily pay that much per board, that's just my estimated average value ;)

mr_a500

31 Dec 2014, 18:06

photekq wrote: I've now got over 20.. Have I gone too far? How many is too many?
You've got a way to go before you've gone too far. I've got around 60 and I think I could do with 5 more. (unfortunately HaaTa and b***a have those 5 I want)

7bit

31 Dec 2014, 18:08

I see!
:-)

You spent $100 for a $250 keyboard and saved 60%!!!
:o

elecplus

31 Dec 2014, 18:11

matt3o wrote: Another dream? Build a retro-computer museum... one can dream, right?!
I wish you were in the US, I would donate some of my upstairs "stuff" for your museum! Things nobody really uses anymore, but I hate to see the old technology disappear. Things like flopticals, Bernoulli boxes, luggables, token ring equip...

Return to “Off-topic”