G80-3494LYCUS-2 with red Cherry switches

webwit
Wild Duck

13 Feb 2011, 23:35

This is a review of the Cherry G80-3494 keyboard with Cherry MX Red switches. Boards with red Cherries are pretty rare. I bought one a few months back when they were available for around $150 - $180 for a while including shipping.

The first thing I noticed this keyboard is extremely light. It's so light I worry when I open the window, the wind will blow it off the desk. This is an extremely cheaply built keyboard. Everything about this keyboard is cheap, except for two things: It has mechanical switches and NKRO. The construction is light and cheap. The key caps are laser printed, and you can actually feel the lettering on the key caps, which is annoying, and the print won't last long I think. Some keys have misaligned print, like the two Windows keys in the photo above, they are different. Fixed cable, no usb ports, all very basic. For this price, I expect some special features. I don't mind a "boring" keyboard though, and the lines of the iconic Cherry case I find quite pleasing, although it's not as iconic as the Model M. At least they managed to not fuck that up with wild additions or colors. Except they cheapened it to feather weight, and to a snap-together design - the screw holes are not used. FYI, the F and J keys are cupped.

So it looks like a cheap $20 keyboard you buy if you don't want to spend more on a Logitech with all the extra button crap. The only reason for its very high price is not the NKRO, but the rare (at this point in time) red switches. Other than that, at this price point the keyboard is no value for money. Maybe the price point will be better in the future.

About the red switches, I won't rate them because some will like them, some will hate them. For me, I found them interesting and they have some appeal, but they are a bit too light. Although they are rated like Cherry browns in terms of required force to activate the switch, the lack of tactile bumb make them feel even lighter to me, and it almost feels like I am typing directly on the plastic plate. Now, while there will be fans of this switch, I also feel that it has been given a status and demand it does not deserve, and it only got that because of its lack of availability, combined with the bright red color. It's just another Cherry switch which performs if you like your switches very light and linear. But it is not special.

If you like the Cherry red switches (which you probably don't know before you buy this board) and the basic design and full board, then this board will perform if you are willing to pay the inflated price and don't mind the cheap construction. Other than that, your best bet is to save your money if you see one at this price range, because it isn't value for money and the reds are not the holy grail.

Pros:
Cherry MX Red mechanical switches
NKRO

Cons:
Cheap construction
Cheap keycaps with cheap legends
No detachable cable, usb ports or anything that justifies the price point other than the red Cherries & NKRO.
Bad value for money

Overall:
5 / 10

Only interesting for collectors or people who really need a red Cherry board. Even if the price would not have been inflated by these switches, Cherry needs to do better than these dirt cheap boards.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

13 Feb 2011, 23:54

Laser printing, not pad printing!

I am still not sure why these boards are so expensive. It has be the silly MOQ needed to get them going. Apparently Cherry does not allow these to be distributed outside of Asia for reasons unknown. In Asia orders are between 500-1000 for each batch. I think no one ever ordered a second batch, which is how the whole "reds are out of production" thing started.

Maybe the Leopold red Cherry board will be different. I kinda do wonder how those will feel, considering they are plate mounted.

webwit
Wild Duck

13 Feb 2011, 23:58

sixty wrote:Laser printing, not pad printing!
Thanks, corrected.

webwit
Wild Duck

14 Feb 2011, 00:03

I don't really mind a board being expensive because of a relatively small MOQ. But then I want something special (a DataHand, a μTRON), other than a neat color of the switch and a mythical status just because its lack of availability.

Minskleip

14 Feb 2011, 01:29

Are there no vintage keyboards with reds?

webwit
Wild Duck

14 Feb 2011, 01:36

Minskleip wrote:Are there no vintage keyboards with reds?
Not to my knowledge. Sixty or maybe a Korean member will know if it's a new thing or revived switch.

lootbag

14 Feb 2011, 02:05

after reading this review...
my urge to purchase this keyboard has dissipated.
thank you for saving me money webwit!

Minskleip

14 Feb 2011, 02:09

lootbag wrote:after reading this review...
my urge to purchase this keyboard has dissipated.
thank you for saving me money webwit!
I'm sure you could sell it to someone at Geekhack ;)

keyboardlover

14 Feb 2011, 02:15

I actually love this keyboard. It's not the sturdiest or the most well-made but it's damn nice to type on and rocks for typing and gaming. Definitely recommend replacing the standard keycaps with double shots though.

webwit
Wild Duck

14 Feb 2011, 02:19

That's precisely it. If you like the red Cherries, this is your board. My guess is more people will like the browns and blues though if they could try 'em all.

keyboardlover

14 Feb 2011, 02:33

With the forthcoming possible Leopold with cherry reds though, there may be a new player in this arena =)

webwit
Wild Duck

14 Feb 2011, 02:35

It will be interesting to see what it will do to the price. I have a feeling the high price was not only because of the small MOQ, but also because the trader(s) went for a high profit because of its rarity. Will Leopold do the same?

lootbag

14 Feb 2011, 03:35

Minskleip - then I would be losing too much $ reselling :(

keyboardlover - I am looking for a Cherry keyboard to put my Cherry doubleshots on (as well as Round 3 keycaps too) and no luck finding one I wish to buy :(

webwit - I am waiting patiently for those darn Leopolds to be readily available :(

webwit
Wild Duck

14 Feb 2011, 03:48

I wouldn't be surprised if Leopold will only sell those in Korea where you need a buying service.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

14 Feb 2011, 14:00

You can slightly improve the current generation G80 boards with screws and using of rubber foam and the like, but at this price they could have just been a bit better out of the box...

I mean they still have the molds for the older generation cases and could have just used those again.

itlnstln

14 Feb 2011, 14:03

Even me being the Cherry fanboy that I am thought the price was too high on these. It's one thing when they are in the $50 - $100 USD range, but I'm not touching a G80-3000 series at $150+ even if the switches are "rare."

sixty
Gasbag Guru

14 Feb 2011, 14:16

itlnstln wrote:Even me being the Cherry fanboy that I am thought the price was too high on these. It's one thing when they are in the $50 - $100 USD range, but I'm not touching a G80-3000 series at $150+ even if the switches are "rare."
Same here. I am a huge Cherry fanboy, but could never justify this purchase.. same for the $150 brown MX variants of this. Silly price milking.

bakageta

14 Feb 2011, 14:23

webwit wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if Leopold will only sell those in Korea where you need a buying service.
I don't mind using a buying service, so I guess the real question is will Leopold sell a version with reds for the same price as their other boards. I still think I'll prefer my browns over reds, but I'd really like to take some time with a keyboard full of them at some point.

Mrinterface

15 Feb 2011, 15:00

After I gave my wife several of my keyboards to try : she ended up with... Yes, this cherry red one. She really likes it, but I needed the keyboard to start my Open Sinklists. :-(
I wholeheartedly agree with Webwit's review -> the build quality of this particular keyboard is extremely low and the only plus points were the cherry reds and Nkro.
It was purchased via ebay from a reseller in hongkong which had a very low price of the board for 30 dollars and 100(!) dollars to ship it. I checked again and to purchase it now it would even cost a lot more ( 118 dollars for the keyboard and around 60 dollars for international shipping ) here : http://cgi.ebay.com/Cherry-G80-3494-Key ... 43a41e1655

Regards

Magna224

06 Mar 2011, 05:29

I have always wanted to try some reds but sadly I most likely never will. =(

NewGuy

06 Mar 2011, 06:30

While it doesn't sound like this keyboard itself is a great buy, how would you rate the reds for something like gaming? I recently bought, and am in the process of returning, an MX Blue keyboard as I found it to be completely unsuitable for it even though it was actually marketed as being a 'gamer' keyboard.

The keyboard is nice to type on, but I have a tendency to stop lifting my finger when it hits the tactile bump on the way up, either causing the key to get stuck on, or requiring me to lift my finger off completely before it registers again properly. When gaming it means I can't double-tap, or continue to tap a key quickly, without lifting my finger off completely each time and bottoming out which seems to defeat the purpose of going mechanical.

espritsc

06 Mar 2011, 09:03

webwit - Is this the same keyboard as this ebay listing?

keyboardlover

06 Mar 2011, 13:45

Yes, it is, Sir Spam A Lot :D

Cyclonechuah

13 Mar 2011, 16:22

Sir, does this keyboard Keycaps really a cons?(Cheap Keycaps with Cheap Legend)

From what i readed thru out most forums, they said G80-3494 Lycus-2 Keycaps are actually one of the most expensive material, some said it's POM Plastic.

webwit
Wild Duck

13 Mar 2011, 17:23

Not sure about the material, but the printing is kinda cheap.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

14 Mar 2011, 01:10

It is indeed POM with laser engraving. The problem is that the laser engraving leaves a very noticeable rough feel, which is unpleasant when typing.

paperjellyfish

16 Mar 2011, 08:06

When is the Leopold red switches coming out?

keyboardlover

18 Mar 2011, 00:37

That's the question of the year.

jnewkirk

18 Mar 2011, 08:19

I guess I'm a little confused with the Cherry Reds. I guess I don't understand the hype/demand for them if they are just lighter resistance Cherry Blacks. From the threads/posts I read most people don't like Cherry Blacks. Can someone shed some light on this.

NewGuy

18 Mar 2011, 13:50

jnewkirk wrote:I guess I'm a little confused with the Cherry Reds. I guess I don't understand the hype/demand for them if they are just lighter resistance Cherry Blacks. From the threads/posts I read most people don't like Cherry Blacks. Can someone shed some light on this.
It is the strong resistance of the blacks that most people don't like, so a lighter black is a "fixed" black for some.

Return to “Reviews”