Topre switch / Cherry MX compatible

TheNacho
delicious.

14 Jan 2015, 17:38

If something nice turns up, count me in! This will be the final piece to add to my Nova55 :D

cookie

14 Jan 2015, 22:38

My dampering kit, will turn your Novatouch in a "Real"force, got it? :D

barkweed

15 Jan 2015, 21:35

Can't wait! The key up clack noise is slowly driving me nuts. Good thing I only use my NT at work. ;)

I'll pay whatever you ask, cookie!

Muirium
µ

15 Jan 2015, 21:51

They're a synch to install on the NovaTouch… once you're inside. I found the hardest part of the process was prising off the outer case, and finding the hidden screws behind the label. Inside, there's a typical Topre's worth of screws to take out but they're all well marked. And finally, the sliders themselves are nice and loose compared to the single Realforce one I have. I used a soft plastic spoon to undo the stab clips.

Cookie's sample kit he sent me includes some of the foam uncut. I need to try some of that on the stabs. Those keys are *much* quieter with rings as well, but their stabs are still in need of a little finesse.

Monkay

15 Jan 2015, 21:54

Sounds good, cant wait to take my Novatouch apart for some dampening. What do you mean with "synch" Mu? It doesn't make any sense to me translated to german :D

Muirium
µ

15 Jan 2015, 21:59

Apparently it's spelt "sinch". News to me…

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=sinch

Pronounced sin-ch, rhymes with Grinch! I was accidentally writing the now unfashionable spelling for sync(-hronise):

http://languagelover.blogspot.co.uk/200 ... synch.html

Next time I'll just say it's a pizza of cake.

chzel

15 Jan 2015, 22:13

I believe you mean "cinch"!
Pizza Margherita!
Swimming in ale? or just trolling?

Muirium
µ

15 Jan 2015, 22:25

Gah. No troll, honest! And no booze neither.

This is the problem when you think in sounds instead of text! I've seen sinch / cinch so few times compared to how many I've heard or spoken it. Meanwhile, sync is everywhere on the internet. Now I know what those phonetics loonies are on about

scottc

15 Jan 2015, 22:37

But sync is pronounced "sink"...

Muirium
µ

15 Jan 2015, 22:44

Right, and realising that fact was the greatest invention in the history of writing. But you just try telling my memory to work like that.

Oddly enough, I never say words wrong that way. But spelling mistakes are a whole other matter.

vinzbe

16 Jan 2015, 01:13

cookie wrote: I like videos more than just sound samples, but Mu demonstrated verry well. As I said, I am quite satisfied with the result but I don't like the material, plus it is a pain in the ass to stamp them out, it takes an unnecessary amount of tries untill you get a good piece though.
Did you try the same foam that dpanth3r used? I bought some and stamped a few and forgot to continue since then. Sure, you have to use the hammer several times but it was not that hard to make good looking rings. So maybe it depends on the type of foam.

cookie

16 Jan 2015, 01:50

I know his mod but 1mm is way to thick! Therefore I haven't tried it. Also the foam is too expensive, I am currently in touch with several companys to get some good quality foam.

vinzbe

16 Jan 2015, 04:08

I was not expecting the words "too expensive" on a topic about Topre but if you can find something better and cheaper that would be great :)

cookie

16 Jan 2015, 11:05

If you concider the size of the sheet, it is actually pricy! And as I said, 1mm is just too much.
I want the less possible impact on the travel and the switch feeling, that is the ultimate goal!

Monkay

16 Jan 2015, 11:20

You really can see that you thought it through cookie, cant wait for your results with the companys (:

cookie

16 Jan 2015, 11:22

Main Problem is the thickness! I thought about cutting it myself... but I have no Idea how to do this :/

vinzbe

17 Jan 2015, 13:05

Monkay

17 Jan 2015, 22:28

Yeah why dont you get one of those :D

vinzbe

17 Jan 2015, 23:10

Indeed.This would allow to reduce the cost of the foam ;)

EDIT: More seriously, any thoughts on using microfiber instead?

TheNacho
delicious.

18 Jan 2015, 20:46

vinzbe wrote: Indeed.This would allow to reduce the cost of the foam ;)

EDIT: More seriously, any thoughts on using microfiber instead?
These cheapy mini cloths that are always bundeled with even cheaper screen protectors could actually work quite well i guess.

Muirium
µ

18 Jan 2015, 22:31

Dampers have got to do all of these things:
  • Be soft enough to actually damp the impact of the slider on the switch shell.
  • Be thin enough not to get in the way of switch travel.
  • Be strong enough to remain intact after millions of keystrokes. (Thousands is not enough.)
  • Be easy enough to cut to shape and install on the sliders.
  • Be cheap enough for us to get our hands on.
Not the simplest set of criteria. Cookie's thin foam seems to be up to the job. It definitely does a better job of the actual damping than the silicone he also sent me. That other stuff was too thin to really make much difference.

cookie

19 Jan 2015, 13:17

That is right mu, but the actual material strength is something I can't test right now. This is something I have to guess and the time will show if I guessed well. But be sure that I won't use cheap stuff!

Monkay

19 Jan 2015, 20:04

If you find a solution you like I will buy and I am sure some others will, too. Then we will see how long it lasts.

Muirium
µ

19 Jan 2015, 20:45

As long as he can get more of the same foam for a reasonable price to cover a full TKL, we can consider it already in testing. My NovaTouch is still damping quite nicely on the mods I have rings installed on. And I give it a lot of work as one of my main keyboards.

chzel

19 Jan 2015, 21:37

I haven't really followed the discussion about the foam, but could the thin foam sheet they use to protect stuff in transit be any good? It cheap and in different thicknesses! Something like this (1/32" thick) or this (1/16")

saldot

20 Jan 2015, 09:17

I think what they're looking for is something around 0.4mm thick which would be about 1/64.

Has anyone tried using microfibre cloth, the thin one used to clean glasses ? If it works it would be the perfect material since it's cheap and easy to get hold of everywhere so anyone could make their own dampeners using only a pair of scissors.

cookie

20 Jan 2015, 10:02

I don't think microfibre is good for what I plan. It is too thin, does not damper enough and I assume that it is hard to cut.
The packaging material Chzel is the stuff I already sent to Mu, but I personally don't like it... There must be a better solution.

Monkay

20 Jan 2015, 13:33

What about thin "Moosgummi" ?

Muirium
µ

20 Jan 2015, 13:40

Trim some for yourself!

Now I know that Cookie's foam is just the packing stuff, I could try the art of ringmaking for myself. It works pretty damn good, as I've said before. And I still don't have my HHKB Type-S yet so…

cookie

20 Jan 2015, 13:45

Unfortunately there is no "Moosgummi" with a 0,5 mm thickness! :(
jeah it works really well but there must be a better material out there, I have the feeling this material tend to feel a bit scratchy.

I just got a reply from a manufacturer, he is willing to send me a sample so I can check it out!

Return to “Keyboards”