[Interest Check] 10x G81-8308 NIB (240 programmable keys)

Prelim

30 Jan 2015, 18:02

Hi guys,

I'm able to get 10 units of this G81-8308LPAPO which is a rare keyboard and MX/MY hybrid (top two programmable rows are MX, rest of keyboard MY) with 240 programmable keys - 10 layers available.

Cost per keyboard will be 35€ (price for this model is about 130€). Boxed keyboard is more than 2kg (~2.4Kg) so shipping to EU is 28€ up to 67€ elsewhere (maximum do different zones): http://www.ctt.pt/correio-e-encomendas/ ... l#panel1-2

The keyboard have full Cherry support, with it's specific software up to Windows 8 64bit:

Here's also some homemade photos:

one little review here: https://translate.google.pt/translate?s ... edit-text=

Let me know who is interested on this!
Last edited by Prelim on 22 Apr 2015, 13:50, edited 12 times in total.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

31 Jan 2015, 07:24

For those who don't know, this is the model which replaced the legendary G80-2100.
The 24 keys on top are programmable in 10 layers, and you can even see which layer is active at any moment.
The software is not needed (but can be used) for programming, any programmed configuration can be saved and retrieved.

Not interested myself, but I know the keyboard and think I can reply questions about it.

chzel

31 Jan 2015, 09:32

Do you have knowledge of the internal layout? Where is the controller, if the top part is a separate PCB, etc?
My idea is hacking the actual keyboard off, and using the top part as a "macro bar" of sorts, to pair with whatever keyboard I am using at the moment (I understand that it will not be able to be programmed without the software)! :o

kbdfr
The Tiproman

31 Jan 2015, 09:53

Just taken 2 pics, first one with top part of case lifted, second one with complete plate assembly also lifted:
G81-8308 innnards-1.jpg
G81-8308 innnards-1.jpg (210.88 KiB) Viewed 8056 times
G81-8308 innnards-2.jpg
G81-8308 innnards-2.jpg (122.8 KiB) Viewed 8056 times
Hope it helps.
And please tell if what you intend appears feasible.

chzel

31 Jan 2015, 10:07

It certainly does look feasible! I think that unplugging the membranes from the controller is all it takes!
I am now debating with myself if 55€ is a good price for what it will become!
The top switches are PCB-mount, correct?

Prelim

31 Jan 2015, 12:14

Hi,

Top MX switches are pcb mounted yes.

You can program the keyboard without software but you cannot bind several important things, such as using the "open program" by choosing it .exe etc, so the software remains very useful for advanced programming.
Last edited by Prelim on 31 Jan 2015, 14:23, edited 2 times in total.

AlleyViper

31 Jan 2015, 14:07

I'll paste here a small review I've done on GH for this exact board, in case someone's interested in the programmable functions:
I'm spinning this little aircraft carrier at the moment. G81 board with lasered caps on a hefty cherry case, coiled PS2 cable, MX blacks on P1-P24, two Super Black MX on the Prog and Layer keys (you'll thank for them when reaching blindly for the Esc!), old school LED indicator, a colorful Cherry sticker ....and great programming features!

Other than regular direct and easy programming ("Prog" > target P1-24 key > type macro > "Prog") and delay settings, if you intend to customize it via software, the Cherry downloadable works fine under 8.1 x64 via native PS2 (you'll surelly won't use the provided disquettes!). Be sure to install it with the KB plugged first. Software and manuals are available at http://www.cherry.de/cid/download.php? (MultiBoard G81-8308).
First it'll update firmware, and then you can create/modify/upload or download the current config file that can use either hardware macros or Cherry software dependent macros/OS functions (longer macros, program/file shortcuts, etc). Reading or writing a file to the KB via PS2 requires a bit of patience. Unfortunately, directly pressed and unprogrammed P1-24 keys don't send unique keycodes for third party software to manage (such as Autokey).

This software also allows you to program Pkeys to send hardware keystrokes (without relying on Cherry software later) for keys not present on the board, such as f15-f24 or media keys. Either by selecting from a provided list, or via respective hex codes. Other than manually changing program layers ("Layer" > F1-F10, indicated via 1-(1)0 LED) for alternative key functions, you can also use and combine modifiers such as shift, alt, ctrl that add +1, +2, +4 to the currently used layer, making it practical to access many functions on a single key via regular (or combined) modifiers.
It comes packaged with 2 A4 sheets of pre-cut key labels, but printing your own on clear acetate sheets will surely look top notch.

Despite the lesser appeal of MYs for a typist, it's a very fine working tool if you need a programmable board for any sort of editing software.

Prelim

02 Feb 2015, 16:24

price correction - can get it for 35€!

moda38

04 Feb 2015, 10:59

index me please
I want two 8308 :D

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

04 Feb 2015, 12:02

Bottom row 1.25u keycaps doesn't have their stem centered, right?

Prelim

04 Feb 2015, 13:08

off-center bottom row yes, like all G81 series

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

04 Feb 2015, 13:18

Isn't it just the more recent ones?

photekq
Cherry Picker

04 Feb 2015, 13:26

Any 1.25 bottom row keys from a G81 = off center.

Any 1.5 bottom row keys from a G81 = centered.

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

04 Feb 2015, 13:54

photekq wrote: Any 1.25 bottom row keys from a G81 = off center.

Any 1.5 bottom row keys from a G81 = centered.
Thank you for the clarification. ;)

Prelim

15 Apr 2015, 14:25

just to let you guys know that the status remains the same, if I can't get more 7 interested on this in the next couple of months this IC/GB will be cancelled.

Gatlank

15 Apr 2015, 15:14

I'll ask around. I could have 1 or 2 friends that might be interested.

Ascaii
The Beard

15 Apr 2015, 18:08

Do you think it would be possible to take the 24 key MX module with the LED display and turn it into a programmable bar of keys with minimum effort? I don't need an MY board, but I would love to have a bar of hotkeys for my CAD work, especially with ten layers.

Prelim

15 Apr 2015, 18:27

as I told @Ivan on GH (he also asked for a keyboard without MY pcb) I prefer not do it as I can damage something in the process and don't want to have that work or responsibility, as you might understand :/

However I can proxy to someone who might do it, as @JaccoW who was willing to help on this: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=68 ... msg1639952

Ascaii
The Beard

15 Apr 2015, 18:53

Looks like i found one locally already O_o

moda38

20 Apr 2015, 05:53

it seems like happen now,thanks Prelim :D

Spikebolt
√(4) != -2

20 Apr 2015, 10:12

Prelim are you in Lisbon? I might be interested in this if there are no shipping costs :D

Prelim

20 Apr 2015, 17:09

oi Skipebolt,

ya moro em Odivelas portanto posso entregar em mão na zona de Lx ;) já só tenho 2 disponíveis (um em layout PT, outro ANSI US)

aqui uma foto rápida piramide :p

Prelim

20 Apr 2015, 20:23

hi again guys,

just to let you know that I ended up buying all the keyboards, as you may saw.

however and since there were many Portuguese people interested I only have one more left available (in ANSI US layout), so /pm me who is still interested!

scottc

20 Apr 2015, 20:24

Is the ANSI version lasered and MY too?

Prelim

20 Apr 2015, 20:34

Hi scottc,

Yes, same but in ANSI ;)

scottc

20 Apr 2015, 20:57

Thanks. I'm not interested in that case. Good luck with the sale!

Prelim

20 Apr 2015, 22:12

no problem, thanks anyway!

Spikebolt
√(4) != -2

21 Apr 2015, 20:44

Just got the ISO version from Prelim, the keyboard is really NIB. I found it funny that it has some setup floppy disks lol! :P
Last edited by Spikebolt on 21 Apr 2015, 22:21, edited 1 time in total.

Prelim

21 Apr 2015, 20:54

Spikebolt wrote: Just got the ISO version from Prelim, the keyboard is really NIB. I found it funny that it has some setup DISKETS lol! :P
"floppy disk" @Spikebolt, old school all the way! also feel free to post any photos here ;)

here's a link to the current drivers and manual: http://www.cherry.de/files/software/Che ... _59_EN.zip / http://www.cherry.de/files/manual/64405 ... -8xPS2.pdf

Spikebolt
√(4) != -2

21 Apr 2015, 22:30

Only managed to take a single picture, I left it at work:
Spoiler:
The keyboard is very nice, the build quality is good and I am yet to explore all the programmable keys functionality. I had never tried Cherry MY before so this was a great opportunity to explore new worlds.

Return to “Group buys”