What are you listening to at the moment?

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

10 Feb 2015, 17:27

I oscillate between Triple J's Hottest 100 and the KCEA Internet stream (http://kcea.org/). KCEA is a big band radio station located in Menlo Park, CA. Their transmitter is weak and the reception poor in much of the Bay Area but the live stream works anywhere with an Internet connection!

My wife owns a Korg Triton Pro-X (Yamaha weighted keys and MIDI connection; a different kind of keyboard). It seems like it would be really fun were I not so incompetent with musical things.

Topre Enthusiast

10 Feb 2015, 22:53

That's cool, I didn't realise Triple J had much exposure outside Australia. The hottest 100 happens every year on Australia Day (Jan 26th) and has become a bit of a tradition for a lot of Aussies. Do you listen to the station normally or just tune in for hottest 100?

webwit
Wild Duck

10 Feb 2015, 23:55

Just some guys and gypsy jazz...

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

11 Feb 2015, 01:42

I heard about Triple J through Slashdot many years ago (2011 - the year the "Warmest 100" came out that largely predicted the Hottest 100). I had a listen and found it was an interesting way to get exposure to independent bands from the UK, Australia and New Zealand - stuff I had never heard before. Gems like "Knife Party - Internet Friends".

So, every Australia Day, I follow along if I can, acquire the songs, and have a playlist for the year.

There are a few Triple J parties in the US but none that I have attended. It's not really a big thing here at all.

Mal-2

11 Feb 2015, 03:24

Muirium wrote: Superb!
I am reminded of Isotope 217, which you may also like.

BussoV6

15 Feb 2015, 21:56

I love Guilty Gear. So metal.

Muirium
µ

21 Feb 2015, 22:09

Romanian jazz.
1973 vintage, older than my beamsprings, and me…

Muirium
µ

22 Feb 2015, 00:10

All Romanian tonight.

mr_a500

22 Feb 2015, 11:53

Compgeke

23 Feb 2015, 03:03

One of those songs that weirdly just doesn't get loud, you can turn the speakers up a lot and it just doesn't get louder, just bass can be felt more.

SL89

23 Feb 2015, 05:04

Going back in time with Flying Lotus

Mal-2

23 Feb 2015, 06:51

SL89 wrote: Going back in time with Flying Lotus
Someone pointed me at "You're Dead!" and I was very, very impressed. Where do you think I might want to start on the back catalog?

fifted

24 Feb 2015, 23:39

Mal-2 wrote:
SL89 wrote: Going back in time with Flying Lotus
Someone pointed me at "You're Dead!" and I was very, very impressed. Where do you think I might want to start on the back catalog?
I love the sounds in 1983 (album, not track in particular); it is different (more glitchy?) than "You're Dead!", but still has the hallmark of FlyLo.

But what I'm actually listening to now:

macmakkara

27 Feb 2015, 00:19

what im listening at the moment. Not just this song but whole album.

mr_a500

27 Feb 2015, 00:26

I like that.

photekq
Cherry Picker

01 Mar 2015, 16:35

Stuck on Aphex Twin loop again. The music is so mesmerizing, I can't stop listening..

Polynomial C
X-Tal
Avril 14th
Alberto Balsalm
Ageispolis

Medowy

02 Mar 2015, 14:18

My evening jam!
Enjoy. 8-)

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

02 Mar 2015, 14:22

Muirium
µ

02 Mar 2015, 21:32

Mighty Mongo.

fifted

04 Mar 2015, 19:45

Doozy Dimlite!

photekq
Cherry Picker

04 Mar 2015, 23:10

Some garage.

Muirium
µ

04 Mar 2015, 23:34

Meanwhile, back in the house, my (current) favourite cover of the immortal Inner City Blues.
That's the kind of choir a jazz and funk hound like me can love. The string section's quite something too.

Mal-2

05 Mar 2015, 08:37

I'm currently looping my latest track, Rabiac. It's loosely based on the song "Maniac" from "Flashdance", but incidentally ended up wandering into "Eleanor Rigby" territory along the way. (This works for me, as the character it represents feels isolated and lonely despite being fairly popular.)

It just sort of ends because it's game music and intended to loop seamlessly.

Muirium
µ

06 Mar 2015, 12:29

Looping? You need longer songs. Afrobeat's notorious (and glorious) for that. Here's Akoya's PDP. Not the computer

Eszett

07 Mar 2015, 07:38

It may be hard to understand for us western people, that there is a symphony orchestra in Japan, which plays “cartoon soundtracks” and this is even celebrated as a cultural holy cow ...

Muirium
µ

07 Mar 2015, 09:43

Some of the first music I got into in the Napster days was the orchestral Zelda soundtrack. I was amazed I'd never heard of it. The crusty local record shops were jam packed full of trance for the kids and baby boomers greatest hits for their parents.

The hard thing to understand is the other way around. How can we explain to the Japanese that although we like that music, real classical musicians should be snobs and not play it? And to the Chinese that gold is tacky, and yes we totally value it too, it's a precious metal, and goes back thousands of years as a sign of power, but you totally shouldn't get your phone and watch and car covered in it… because… well, yeah you can afford to, and sure it catches attention and we're jealous of the money you spent, but like just don't okay?

I'm glad Asia doesn't respect our bullshit.

Ander

07 Mar 2015, 10:43

The fabulous and amazing Timbre Russian Accordion Quintet. They play one-of-a-kind custom instruments designed to imitate instruments of the orchestra. Even if you don't like accordion music, expressions they make when they play are great.

Mal-2

07 Mar 2015, 11:49

Ander wrote: The fabulous and amazing Timbre Russian Accordion Quintet. They play one-of-a-kind custom instruments designed to imitate instruments of the orchestra. Even if you don't like accordion music, expressions they make when they play are great.
It's good to see people that are just totally into what they are doing, especially when they really are performing at a high level, as they are.

I was most impressed by the one or two instruments made to sound like clarinets. They really nailed it.

Also, the guy on the left of the sample pic for the video looks exactly like a former cow-orker.

photekq
Cherry Picker

12 Mar 2015, 20:55

Muirium
µ

12 Mar 2015, 22:06

This is what the inside of my head sounds like when I'm looking through pictures of sweet, sweet unobtainium:
And another trip by Lonnie Liston Smith, simply gorgeous:

Return to “Off-topic”