The SurpriseBox Worldwide Trip 2

Muirium
µ

19 Feb 2015, 22:32

I can't even remember what value I put on the box last time. It might have been high (in case it got lost and we claimed the insurance which came with the tracking service). But as the EU countries charge tax even on small imports like this, better to play it down.

What's the value limit in Germany for free imports anyway? In Britain it's a miserable $22 *including* shipping! Which is why it's not coming here. The only tax to be paid is when it enters the EU. After that, no problem.

Ascaii
The Beard

19 Feb 2015, 23:11

Fifted, ill pm you my address.

jacobolus

20 Feb 2015, 02:01

I’m happy to toss in another $5 for transatlantic shipping, if that helps whoever is handling it.

Halvar

20 Feb 2015, 14:30

If I read this correctly:

http://www.zoll.de/DE/Privatpersonen/Po ... _node.html

it should in fact be possible to send the package as a gift as long as its value (without shipping costs) is less than 45 €. The sender must not be a business.

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

20 Feb 2015, 14:35

Ascaii wrote: Fifted, ill pm you my address.
@Ascaii, when you get the package shoot me a message with the import taxes and I'll cover that part as promised also the shipping to me.
I'm sorry I couldn't be the first one in Europe, but I just didn't want to take any chances, the package belongs to the community and I don't want to be the one who lost it just because Romanian Postal Services are crap :x

Compgeke

24 Feb 2015, 04:37

Great news guys:

Just a heads up I did remove the location and tracking number; fifted just has Washington set as a location not the town.

fifted

24 Feb 2015, 15:50

I've been scooped! :O Yep, package arrived yesterday (on my front porch, too; creepy!). I've already got Ascaii's address and have added my contributions. I'm engaged today in finding a suitable box for it -- the one it arrived in had a blown-out corner and is therefore not suitable for transoceanic travel. I'll have it out (and pics posted) within the requisite three days.

Compgeke

24 Feb 2015, 16:52

Eek, sorry about the box then, I repackaged it due to the same issue of the original box bottom was ripped and they had retaped over the rip - I didn't trust that either.

Muirium
µ

24 Feb 2015, 16:55

Last year the box was pretty hairy when it reached me, too. And I bet the hop over the Atlantic beat it up a bit after my turn. This is a global tour of bursting boxes…

jacobolus

24 Feb 2015, 19:54

Damn, when the box left me, it was in great shape. (I think I just re-used the previous box, but maybe it was a new one, don’t remember.)

Anyway, I added a ton of bubble wrap, so hopefully everything inside has stayed okay. :-)

Ascaii
The Beard

24 Feb 2015, 23:01

I suggest the good old double box if that is manageable.

7bit

24 Feb 2015, 23:51

Will I be the next after you?
:?

DanielT

25 Feb 2015, 06:18

7bit wrote: Will I be the next after you?
:?
Nope, I will be. Ascaii and I traded places only to avoid the box being handled by the Romanian Customs.

wheybags

25 Feb 2015, 10:41

They're both in Germany though right? Makes sense to go to everyone in Germany first.

DanielT

25 Feb 2015, 10:54

Yes they are, but with that logic it will go next to another country that is closer and with each step it will get farther away from Romania :(
I have asked for this switch only because there are problems with packages from US to Romania, and I said that I will cover the import taxes and shipping to me because at the beginning I promised to be the first in Europe and cover all of that. That was before I had some issues with lost packages or packages that reached me after more than a month with no ability to follow the tracking.

If it's a problem put me on the list were is more comfortable for everybody ...

Muirium
µ

25 Feb 2015, 11:39

The box tends to get bigger with each stop. So being later is good anyway. Unless you were first, you were never going to get a Mrinterface cap!

Ascaii
The Beard

25 Feb 2015, 13:38

I will be shipping the box to Daniel, it is only fair.

fifted

27 Feb 2015, 00:54

Package posted to Ascaii. Pictures forthcoming; I left them at home.

wheybags

27 Feb 2015, 01:03

What happens to the leftovers?

fifted

27 Feb 2015, 16:17

What I took out:
Spoiler:
Miscellaneous
Miscellaneous
DSC_9411.JPG (241.88 KiB) Viewed 4548 times
* Shiny metal dragon keycap (looks like a silver tooth on my Granite Ergodox)
* Several DSA blanks of blue and grey hue
* One plastic ring keypuller (always just had handmade ones before; what luxury!)
* Two MX switches (I had no spares since I bought my Ergodox second-hand)
* One blue LED (already taught my daughter about diodes with it)
* (in the background blur) One hammer and sickle keycap
* (also blurry; low-light conditions forced my camera to open wide) One smiley keycap
Spoiler:
A full-size keyboard?
A full-size keyboard?
DSC_9416.JPG (354.48 KiB) Viewed 4548 times
An Apple Extended Keyboard II! Unfortunately, it suffered a few broken keys (tab, grave, 0, 1 [oh no, my binary coding days are over!]). It also had to come out because it broke two of the SurpriseBox rules: keeping weight under 3kg, and keeping the box smaller than a full-size keyboard (hard to do that with a full-size keyboard, no?). Don't worry, I still replaced with equivalent value.
What I put in:
Spoiler:
Just kidding. Like I would tell you! I did, however, "put in" about $70 of postage to track it across the Atlantic to ascaii. :)

Muirium
µ

27 Feb 2015, 16:20

Good on you. That's a sweet haul, too. If there's any metal caps still in there by the time it reaches me, I'll do likewise!

DanielT

27 Feb 2015, 16:25

Can't wait to see this box :) after Ascaii pops it's cherry :P

fifted

27 Feb 2015, 17:00

...or its ALPS. You know, 'cause those could be in there, too. :)

7bit

27 Feb 2015, 19:54

fifted( US ) ( PONGED )
EUROPE:
Ascaii ( Germany ) ( Last in Germany list ) ( AUTOPONGED )
DanielT( Romania ) ( PONGED )
Nuum ( Germany ) ( PONGED )
7bit( Germany ) ( PONGED )<----------------------me :-)
Halvar( Germany ) ( PONGED )
madhias ( Austria ) ( PONGED )
HAL( Austria ) ( PONGED )
scottc( Ireland ) ( PONGED )
wheybags( Ireland ) ( PONGED )
HzFaq ( UK ) ( PONGED )
urbancamo ( UK ) ( PONGED )
Andrewjoy ( UK ) ( PONGED )
Muirium( UK ) (PONGED)
hoggy ( Isle of Man ) ( Able to ship across atlantic ) ( PONGED )
JotaCe ( Portugal ) ( PONGED ) ( First 3 weeks of november not available )
chzel( Greece) ( PONGED )
flopix ( BE ) ( Can collect in Ireland ) ( PONGED )
GOING HOME ( The Netherlands )

gogusrl

27 Feb 2015, 20:05

Don't forget me please, I got vouched in a few pages ago.

scottc

27 Feb 2015, 20:12

Oh, I'm in after HAL, and not long after 7bit... that's exciting!

Halvar

27 Feb 2015, 20:17

gogusrl wrote: Don't forget me please, I got vouched in a few pages ago.
Seems like MrInterface forgot to add you to the sorted list in the OP, maybe you should contact him about that by PM so you can have the box while it's in Romania.
Last edited by Halvar on 27 Feb 2015, 21:33, edited 1 time in total.

fifted

27 Feb 2015, 20:49

... and the European contingent goes wild! I hope you guys love it.

I was going to make a comment about the SurpriseBox being halfway through its route, but that seems to not be the case---there are a lot of Europeans on this board! Or maybe Americans don't like to be surprised...

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

27 Feb 2015, 20:52

Yes there are quite a few Europeans here.[emoji6]

Muirium
µ

27 Feb 2015, 21:01

EuroThority!

I'm across the ocean during April though, keep it away from me until May.

Return to “Keyboards”