Why HHKB isn't carried in Europe

davkol

13 Mar 2015, 12:42

I was browsing /r/MechanicalKeyboards and came across this in The Keyboard Company's AMA – why don't they sell Happy Hacking Keyboards?
keyboardco wrote:The truth is we would love to have them in our line up and I spoke to them at length about 5 years ago but they were not CE approved back then so we could not handle them. PFU did not feel that they wanted to do the approvals in case they had to dilute the design. It is frustrating but we always respect the decisions of manufacturers relating to their products.
Is it common knowledge?

Topre Enthusiast

13 Mar 2015, 12:55

I didn't know that. Thanks for sharing!
I can't imagine what aspects of the HHKB design that PFU feel would be infringing on the CE requirements. HHKB is a quality product and I'm sure a lot of other stuff made much cheaper gets the CE marking...

davkol

13 Mar 2015, 13:02

For the record, HHKB Lite 2 is CE approved, but made by Chicony. Topre Realforce is apparently CE approved too; The Keyboard Company carries it after all. HHKB Pro 2 would probably have the CE logo on its sticker, if it were already approved.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

13 Mar 2015, 13:07

002 wrote: I didn't know that. Thanks for sharing!
I can't imagine what aspects of the HHKB design that PFU feel would be infringing on the CE requirements. HHKB is a quality product and I'm sure a lot of other stuff made much cheaper gets the CE marking...
Exactly. Seems almost ridiculous. Surely PFU would find distributors in Europe. The CE approval could be a tedious process though. But these productss have been on the market for a while now. Strange.

Muirium
µ

13 Mar 2015, 13:14

Funny, I'm sure we talked about this some time ago. I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that the HHKB is PFU's one and only keyboard, and they think of it as a super niche item surely only of interest in Japan.

Is the FC660C sold in Europe and CE approved?

webwit
Wild Duck

13 Mar 2015, 13:18

It's pretty common knowledge I think, this has been a problem for a while.
If I remember correctly, the exact reason is the use of materials which would not conform to meet fire safety requirements for materials and components. It's toxic. If you burn your HHKB, don't inhale.

Topre Enthusiast

13 Mar 2015, 13:29

webwit wrote: If I remember correctly, the exact reason is the use of materials which would not conform to meet fire safety requirements for materials and components. It's toxic. If you burn your HHKB, don't inhale.
That's weird though when you consider that the Realforce meets CE standard.
Assuming that the sliders, keycaps, PCB and domes are pretty much the same, that really only leaves the case which I am pretty sure is ABS but I guess not the same level of fire resistance as the Realforce? I have no idea about the toxicity though...

seebart

13 Mar 2015, 13:36

I`m pretty sure the FC660C is not sold in Europe.

Muirium
µ

13 Mar 2015, 16:10

Anyone who's got one: look for a CE mark.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

13 Mar 2015, 16:11

maybe it has something to do with the material used not being 100% recyclable (or even being considered toxic in EU). Europe is pretty strict on these things, more than US for sure.

PS: FC660C is CE approved.

seebart

13 Mar 2015, 16:14

matt3o wrote: PS: FC660C is CE approved.
Interesting. I don´t think I have ever seen one sold commercially though, at least not in Germany.

Muirium
µ

13 Mar 2015, 16:15

Cool, and surprising! Someone open up shop already.

Thinking about their unavailability here the other day, I'm collecting HHKB serial numbers. My Type-S is surprisingly low numbered, as is Hypersphere's. If anyone wants to contribute data, get in touch.

Return to “Keyboards”