Interest Check - European Poker Group buy Round 2

Minskleip

10 Sep 2011, 23:21

Programmable like the Aikon, or programmable like the Teensy?

JBert

10 Sep 2011, 23:23

webwit wrote:KBC has released a controller called Chameleon which they say is "the most powerful programmable controller":
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=12539447015
There are some topics about it on the KBC forum. I don't know much more than that though. But I bet it works well with the Poker. Maybe sixty can inquire with his contacts and import some. Or you buy directly from taobao. 20 EUR is a good price.
That controller might certainly be nice if you want to build your own keyboard, but I guess it won't be easy to get it working with the Poker.

I have taken a look at the backside of the PCB and it's still much the same as the one you showed in your review thread (the only obvious changes are the different PCB color and bumped revision number). The controller is still a surface-mounted chip in an SSOP package with pin spacing of .64mm, which means it is a bitch to solder.

I've thought about using a PS/2 converter as Minskleip suggested, but I didn't bother to check it before he suggested it. Luckily, the Poker supports PS/2, so a converter will fix most of my problems. I still want to keep the detachable cable though, which means I'd either have to run out a female mini-USB-B connector on a wire out of the Poker or reuse the port on the Poker's PCB.

So far, I've seen that I could solder onto the +5V and ground lines due to reserved spots on the PCB for buffering capacitors (at least that's what I think it's reserved for). I still need to check if I can wire the Teensy in between the data lines though, but I think I can remove two surface-mounted resistors. Since these sit on the data lines, replacing these with regular ones and using their solder pads to solder on jump wires should be easier than replacing the entire KB controller.

webwit
Wild Duck

10 Sep 2011, 23:32

You gotta work on your soldering skills! (not that I can do it...)

Minskleip

11 Sep 2011, 00:46

What's the wipe he uses at the end there?

JBert

11 Sep 2011, 01:08

See at 11:35, it says only "Skin cotton", "Disposable Alcohol Cotton" and "Ethanol 80% ...". Looks like a generic brand, but it seems to clean flux alright...

Mackem

12 Sep 2011, 19:35

These keyboards look really nice. I'd be interested in one with blues if it had the UK ISO layout (With the big Enter key etc. like my normal rubber dome :lol:).

EDIT: Forget what I said about the arrow keys. If I can get one of these with the standard UK ISO layout, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

webwit
Wild Duck

03 Oct 2011, 20:38

Chinese Poker mods by arieswoow:
mic1.jpg
mic1.jpg (61.3 KiB) Viewed 6275 times
mic2.jpg
mic2.jpg (49.78 KiB) Viewed 6275 times
mic3.jpg
mic3.jpg (32.17 KiB) Viewed 6275 times

FlikstRR

05 Oct 2011, 19:11

id buy one in a heartbeat if they could sort the tilde/esc issue.. that is jsut from reading online and no personal experience with the issue. That said I am still interested. Not really fussy on switches as I've only experienced the browns.

Any idea on the lead time on this? Else I might just nab one off ebay.. cheers

sixty
Gasbag Guru

07 Oct 2011, 09:11

I have been informed that we do not need to reach a minimum order quantity for the second round, so we could go at any given time.

Those of you WHO DO WANT another KBC Poker with the ANSI US layout - Pleas post again and we will wrap this up.

FlikstRR

07 Oct 2011, 10:44

I'm in. Someone needs to suggest a switch set to try (currently on filco + browns) and tell me who/where to pay :)

Im thinking reds becuase they are supposed to be the bad-ass rare ones right? :lol:
Last edited by FlikstRR on 07 Oct 2011, 15:25, edited 1 time in total.

Brian8bit

07 Oct 2011, 13:29

Brian8bit: 1xblack 1xbrown

TheSoulhunter

07 Oct 2011, 14:44

1 blue and 1 red

ihhbui

10 Oct 2011, 20:01

I would like 1xRED to the UK.

By the way sixty when are you taking payments for the VorTex PBT Keycaps MO. Is it possible to ship combine my keycap order keyboard in one package?

sixty
Gasbag Guru

10 Oct 2011, 20:15

Sorry, payments will have to be separated.

JBert

11 Oct 2011, 21:40

Have you asked if they planned any new revisions?

Apart from fixing a few firmware things that Webwit and I have noticed, it would rock if they could revise the PCB to add a few through holes on the matrix and USB traces. This way, you could desolder the Holtek controller and wire in a Chameleon, Aikon or Teensy controller.

Daniel Beardsmore

11 Oct 2011, 21:46

Perhaps they should bundle those revisions in with some universal matrix wiring and switch holes that would allow ANSI and ISO to share the same circuit ;-)

Maarten

16 Oct 2011, 11:07

Maarten 1x MX Brown, the Netherlands :D

FlikstRR

16 Oct 2011, 16:40

any idea when this order will be placed? timescales etc.. not in a seerrrious rush but at same time its gonna be after xmas i might just buy one from ebay / GH etc.

cable

28 Oct 2011, 11:03

FlikstRR wrote:any idea when this order will be placed? timescales etc.. not in a seerrrious rush but at same time its gonna be after xmas i might just buy one from ebay / GH etc.
I'm kind of curious too regarding this.

I'm in for a blue one if it's around November. Oh, and I'm from Sweden.

Tarkoon

29 Oct 2011, 22:40

I would take one of each kind (= four) to germany.

Lenny_Nero

31 Oct 2011, 15:32

agor wrote:I might be interested for an ISO version, too.
+2
Thats what I am after as well

Sugoi

01 Nov 2011, 06:54

Guys, ISO is not available.

Tarkoon

02 Nov 2011, 13:05

@Sixty
The interest check is running for 10 weeks now.
When do you plan to start the group buy?
Backgroud of my question: I would love to have one as christmas present for my brother.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

02 Nov 2011, 22:08

Tarkoon wrote:@Sixty
The interest check is running for 10 weeks now.
When do you plan to start the group buy?
Backgroud of my question: I would love to have one as christmas present for my brother.
I'm not sure. Interest seems to be extremely low. With the current amount it might cost me more to import them than I would collect in total. Even if the order went out last month, a Christmas delivery would be nearly impossible.

I'll check with VorTex though. If you need one fast, I suggest grabbing one from eBay to be safe though.

Tarkoon

02 Nov 2011, 23:02

With only one fast look over the posts I find about 12 keyboards wanted. How many did you think to get to reach this good price?

sixty
Gasbag Guru

02 Nov 2011, 23:17

Tarkoon wrote:With only one fast look over the posts I find about 12 keyboards wanted. How many did you think to get to reach this good price?
One OEM box from VorTex consists 20 keyboards, they cost nearly $200 to ship. Then there is 19% VAT added to everything (including shipping cost). I was hoping to reach at least 20 to not make this as bad. However, I have a check going with Vortex to see how much shipping comes out as. Maybe it will happen still.

TOZZIL

02 Nov 2011, 23:27

I'm eventually in for one (so, am I already interested then?)
I'd like an MX-Brown one then.

Regards

lal

03 Nov 2011, 13:51

blue++

Wait, this is Poker X Round 2, right? I'm in for one with blue MX. Lal's buying clicky keyboards only.

mushabelly

05 Nov 2011, 21:06

I am interested.
1 x MX Brown.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

06 Nov 2011, 17:50

Okay it will happen. New topic soon.

Return to “Group buys”