Great/Interesting Finds

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

29 Apr 2015, 22:20

Hmm. Seems like some of the UK folks need to rent a van and take a field trip to Leeds.

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

29 Apr 2015, 23:22

Ascaii wrote: edit: bought. time to make a million bucks off you suckers, mwahahaha
I ask a participation for providing the link. Thanks Ascaii. :evilgeek:

Anticube

30 Apr 2015, 00:25

Ascaii wrote: alright, ill grab them now. looks like the cost will be about 17-18€ per board plus shipping from my place to you.
If possible, I would be in for one with missing caps, you can also consider to bring caps from mine if you can make me a cheaper price :P

Interesting the other items, I would go for the spherical one because of nice caps, but the price...
I smell that under there are old m5/m6/m7 cherries,
so not much interesting switch for that price right?

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

30 Apr 2015, 03:44

This is an absolutely delightful keyboard as I like MX Clears. Both of mine arrived today. One is in rather better condition than the other. We'll see if I decide to sell one. The trackpad works well. The card reader works! It makes two beeps after use. One is missing many of the clear relegendable key caps :-( I have only tested one so far. They do have NKRO diodes.

The price went up by $5 since I bought mine :-(

G80-8113LRCUS is indeed the part number. Cherry dye sublimated PBT key caps. Lovely key caps, the first time I've used them. Why I may just have a new daily driver here, after a good cleaning...

The same seller has the same keyboards new in box for 100 USD.

pyrelink

30 Apr 2015, 06:42

Lasered PBT caps* If it had dyesubs for $35 I would have bought all 9! :lol:

kbdfr
The Tiproman

30 Apr 2015, 09:52

XMIT wrote: […] One is missing many of the clear relegendable key caps :-( […]
Do you mean the whole caps or just the transparent covers? If the former, which? If the latter, how many?
After all you've been and still are doing for others here on DT, It's time your needs are cared for :mrgreen:

HzFaq

30 Apr 2015, 11:30

Just a quick PSA, before anyone gets excited and jumps on this just check the picture of the label.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cherry-Electr ... 214wt_1399

Seller has it listed as HQMGB when it's actually LCSGB....I know we're nerdy enough to know the difference but just in case...

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

30 Apr 2015, 17:07

pyrelink wrote: Lasered PBT caps* If it had dyesubs for $35 I would have bought all 9! :lol:
Is this in reference to my keyboards, the point-of-sale Clears?

I thought it was interesting that, while most of the key caps are dye sublimated, the legends of the relegendable keys are all lasered. But, yes, many of the key caps /are/ dye sublimated PBT. The molding under the dye sublimated caps reads PBT.

EDIT: They may just be well worn lasered PBT.

On this one thirty-six (36) of the transparent covers are missing. The other has them all.
Last edited by XMIT on 30 Apr 2015, 17:31, edited 1 time in total.

scottc

30 Apr 2015, 17:24

Are you sure that they're dye-sublimated? The Cherry article number is G80-LXXXX, meaning that they should definitely be lasered PBT. Also, the presence of those "nubs" on F and J back this up -- dye-sublimated and double-shot Cherry profile keycaps have "scooped" keycaps in these positions, not "nubbed".

I don't know why some Cherry caps have PBT written on them. I have a Cherry doubleshot set with some keys and a spacebar that have this marking, but are definitely ABS, without a doubt.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

30 Apr 2015, 17:35

I guess I stand corrected. The laser etching pattern is clear. They really felt dye sublimated as there was no ridging. But they are certainly PBT.
DSC_7930.jpg
DSC_7930.jpg (389.94 KiB) Viewed 7318 times
DSC_7932.jpg
DSC_7932.jpg (556.58 KiB) Viewed 7318 times
Ah well. I have no shortage of key caps around here.

(I really need to get a macro attachment lens. Someone recommended one earlier. I took these with a magnifying glass over my camera thus the chromatic aberration.)

scottc

30 Apr 2015, 17:39

Sorry! I hate to ruin your fun. :P Still, a full working board of MX clears for $35 is a big win!

pyrelink

30 Apr 2015, 18:02

I agree. I might order one myself. Can never have too many cheap switches.

HzFaq

30 Apr 2015, 21:21

HzFaq wrote:
photekq wrote:
derzemel wrote: WEY Banking Keyboard made by GMK with Cherry Clear:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/321730533985?ssP ... 1438.l2649
WHEY!

Caps are shiny as balls and some of the switches are so well used they could almost be linear but I love it all the same :D.

scottc

30 Apr 2015, 21:27

Nice! Looks great. :mrgreen:

derzemel

30 Apr 2015, 21:29

HzFaq wrote: Caps are shiny as balls and some of the switches are so well used they could almost be linear but I love it all the same :D.
So who used it for banking really did some serios banking on that banking keyboard...

I'll show myself out

HzFaq

30 Apr 2015, 21:31

Indeed, some bankers were seriously banking with this thing :D.

Thanks for the tip ;).

IvanIvanovich

30 Apr 2015, 22:57

Those WEY boards are indeed pretty cool... it's just too bad they nearly are always sold without the required keyboard controller/KVM module so you can't use them. Finding the module to buy alone can be quite a chore.

HzFaq

30 Apr 2015, 23:18

It is a bit of a shame, I just opened it up to see how feasable a conversion was...probably not very.

I've run out of time/inclination this evening, but I'll get the PCB out of the case later on and see from there. Initial (terrible, potato cam) pictures in the link below.

Side note as well actually, torx security screws holding the case together and holding the PCB down (as well as about 4 soldered grounds), and random ass hex bolts holding the guff to the top of the case.If I didn't have my handy dandy £3 screwdriver set I'd never have got into it!

http://imgur.com/a/uYoX9

Mal-2

01 May 2015, 00:12

HzFaq wrote: It is a bit of a shame, I just opened it up to see how feasable a conversion was...probably not very.
Maybe you could poll the matrixes directly from a Teensy. Then you could do anything you wanted with the keys.

GuilleAcoustic

01 May 2015, 09:26

HzFaq wrote: WHEY!

Caps are shiny as balls and some of the switches are so well used they could almost be linear but I love it all the same :D.
Very nice keyboard. A controller box is sold on ebay for them: http://www.ebay.fr/itm/WEY-Modular-Keyb ... 233bef7429

HzFaq

01 May 2015, 12:09

Ooo, converter could be handy...well out of my budget at the moment though. Nice to know that they pop up every now and then though, I thought it was going to be a straight "nope".

@mal, I'm going to do some more internal digging over the weekend, I think I need to remove the caps to get the main PCB up (more torx screws :roll:) which should tell me a little more. At the moment, it looks like all the seperate islands are dumb and connected to the main PCB which has the controllers. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing at this point, the only thing I can think of if that is the case is seperate controllers (and firmware) for each island and joining them all in a hub...

gogusrl

01 May 2015, 12:30

scottc

01 May 2015, 12:40

I love that keycap colour on Ms. Very very nice. Though it's a bit nicer as a modifier colour...

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

01 May 2015, 13:09

The board look terrible to me. :lol:

Who took this before the end of auctions?
http://www.ebay.de/itm/5x-DIN-Tastature ... true&rt=nc

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

01 May 2015, 13:16

ramnes wrote:The board look terrible to me. :lol:
More strange than terrible. It may be rare but I would not pay £ 79 for that.

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

01 May 2015, 13:19

There's nothing rare here, just some DIY dyed key caps.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

01 May 2015, 13:21

Then it's even more overpriced.

scottc

01 May 2015, 13:30

They're not DIY dyed, are they? I'm pretty sure Unicomp did sets of that colour before.

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

01 May 2015, 13:47

Maybe, I don't know. Still doesn't appeal me, though. :)

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

01 May 2015, 14:10

Return to “Other external”