The Realforce Euro Tour - Round 4

Topre Enthusiast

14 May 2015, 23:45

Well the rule states that someone from the DT community eligible for this tour can vouch for you. acolombo is eligible for this tour and he is from DT community :)
A successful transaction between two members is a relatively good sign that they are not dodgy, so I think we can add jou to the list!

The tour begins!

wlhlm
~

14 May 2015, 23:52

I wonder if shipping from Spain to Switzerland is cheaper than to UK? :roll:

Topre Enthusiast

14 May 2015, 23:55

You guys have to offer your suggestions on the order as I have no idea of postage costs. Should we move jou to be after amospalla?

jou

15 May 2015, 00:05

Yay! Thanks 002. Switzerland is not in the EU and thus there will be customs involved when shipping from and to here.

Fortunately, I live next to the German border and have a shipping address in Germany, so I would be much better if it sent there for me. The duty free limit when bringing stuff over the border in person is ~270 EUR so that would cover the RealForce easily. And I will also send the keyboard to the next person from Germany so the recipient won't need to pay customs.

robpaulson

15 May 2015, 00:16

Yayyyy It's happening :mrgreen:

matt3o
-[°_°]-

15 May 2015, 08:33

I will be shipping the keyboard to the first in line next Monday and post the tracking number here!

Let's this party started.

wlhlm
~

15 May 2015, 08:48

Yay, can't wait! :D

chzel

15 May 2015, 08:49

Let the TOUR begin!

andrewjoy

15 May 2015, 11:33

shreebles
Finally 60%

15 May 2015, 12:04

002 wrote: The tour begins!
Yes!

amospalla
let's go

15 May 2015, 12:14

Lolol. Can' wait.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

19 May 2015, 17:37

Sorry guys for the delay.

The keyboard has been shipped. You can follow the delivery on this site (in Italian, click on the "Avvia la ricerca" button).

fumble note: I removed the spacebar from the keyboard to test the topre PBT prototypes... I really can't remember if I placed the spacebar back... I believe so... in case please let me know and I'll send you a white spacebar.

wlhlm
~

19 May 2015, 17:39

Yisss, it's rolling!

shreebles
Finally 60%

19 May 2015, 18:40

robpaulson

20 May 2015, 15:04

Just arrived here!!! (with the spacebar XD) :D

chzel

20 May 2015, 15:10

Get on typing then!
And share impressions!
:mrgreen:

robpaulson

21 May 2015, 04:42

Impressions will be shared soon, I want to get used to it a little bit first :P

robpaulson

22 May 2015, 03:45

So here we are.
I was kind of disappointed at first. I don't know what I was expecting, maybe Jesus appearing before my eyes or something XD
It's nice. The switches are lighter and smoother than I thought, I was expecting something a little bit more tactile and snappy, but i guess there is a limit on the tactility you can achieve with 45g. They feel a bit lighter than than MX reds. With MXs the force keeps increasing after the actuation point (which is something I hate), doesn't happen with topre.
I see why someone might describe them as "boring". I wouldn't say "boring", I would say "relaxing", the typing is definitely enjoyable.
I love the lighter keys for pinkies. I tend to avoid using pinkies, mine get tired quickly, especially when programming with all the ctrl and shift and symbols. I feel like with a realforce I could change my typing habits for the better. (is there any cheaper board with variable weight switches? :D)
I type faster with scissor switches on my laptop keyboard (which feels similar to an apple aluminum). The key press is instantaneous, the keys bounce back immediately and my hands move faster. I don't know if it's a limitation of keybords with normal key travel or if it's just a matter of habits.

To sum up: I like it, my pinkies love it, I cannot afford it XD

jou

22 May 2015, 10:26

You can swap springs or switches to get variable weight keys. With Cherry MX switches, you don't even need to desolder anything if they're PCB mount or if the mounting plate that supports opening switches. On my Ergodox, I have clear switches on the alphas and red switches on the modifiers.

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

22 May 2015, 10:38

Even if that might be true, I would never have said that Topre 45g feels lighter than MX Red. Actually, I'm used to reds and on my way for some 35g cup of rubber oneness. :)

robpaulson

22 May 2015, 15:29

I said "a bit" lighter, probably I should have explained better.
Maybe it's just that I'm not used to MXs, but I feel the springs are pushing my fingers away too hard after the first 2mm, where the spring is more compressed and it reaches 50 to 60g. And I find it a waste of energy to have a stronger push after the actuation point. I mean, the job is done, just collapse and stop bugging my fingers :D

Mal-2

22 May 2015, 18:50

robpaulson wrote: And I find it a waste of energy to have a stronger push after the actuation point. I mean, the job is done, just collapse and stop bugging my fingers :D
Sounds like you're a prime candidate for a beam spring, because that's EXACTLY what they do.

Muirium
µ

22 May 2015, 19:03

Aye. I've been comparing beamspring to Topre since the moment I tried one. They're different of course — beamspring is just as loud as buckling spring, even with the clicker solenoid turned off — but the swing they have, and the dive after actuation, that's a nice similarity they share.

Topre is a subtle switch. A point that comes up again and again. Beware the meh! But once you've gotten into their flow, like after a long evening session of busy typing, they're magnificent. The opposite of so many chintzy clicky switches (MX blue I'm looking at you) that make you smile the first time you meet them, but get tiresome when you're really getting things done.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

22 May 2015, 19:12

Even though I like my HHKB2, for some reason the Topre switch is not making it into my top 5 favourites. It's too subtle for me. Don't you go telling me beamspring is like Topre Mu! Don't crush my dreams and hopes. On the other hand I'm probably just not reading you right!

Muirium
µ

22 May 2015, 19:15

There's a huge difference between them too. What I mean is that beamspring is surprisingly subtle…for a great big heavy metal clicky beast! It honestly makes buckling spring feel toy-like. Not as bad as blues, of course, but you'll see what I mean when you get your wish.

seebart

22 May 2015, 19:23

I'll still keep my hopes up. Honestly my favourite switch (felt) are those Linear Micro Switch of mine. I never liked MX blues. Space Invaders impressed the shit out of me.
Last edited by seebart on 22 May 2015, 19:41, edited 1 time in total.

Muirium
µ

22 May 2015, 19:29

Which ones?

Mal-2

22 May 2015, 19:32

Muirium wrote: Topre is a subtle switch. A point that comes up again and again. Beware the meh! But once you've gotten into their flow, like after a long evening session of busy typing, they're magnificent. The opposite of so many chintzy clicky switches (MX blue I'm looking at you) that make you smile the first time you meet them, but get tiresome when you're really getting things done.
This was the surprise that made me come to really like the Cherry G86 — simple, unadorned rubber dome though it may be. The activation point is below the buckling point, unfortunately, but still well above the bottom. This means that off-center mis-hits that don't go down all the way (almost always, it is just possible to hit the dead spot between buckling and activation) still register, something that cannot be said of typical rubber domes. I find my habit of stopping typing on the "uh oh I missed" feeling gradually going away, which is great for these keyboards but not so great if I have to use cheap crap again. I'll just plow right on through the ghost keys, because on my keyboard, they wouldn't get eaten. The activation point is low enough not to hamper double-tapping though, since I don't want to swap keyboards for games. Considering there is no way to adjust this short of physically altering the dome sheet and/or every single key, I'm glad it's just about perfectly balanced.

The one down side of G86 over cheaper domes is that they are pretty much full-mechanical volume level without having all of the mechanical benefits. They have enough of them though (along with being programmable) to make it totally worth it though, at least to me. The down side, of course, is that like every other dome (except Topre), it's "love it or leave it". It either works for you or it doesn't.
Last edited by Mal-2 on 22 May 2015, 19:34, edited 1 time in total.

seebart

22 May 2015, 19:33

Whoops I'm dreaming a little here... Micro Switch green stems... in the "naked cage".

robpaulson

22 May 2015, 19:45

Mal-2 wrote:
robpaulson wrote: And I find it a waste of energy to have a stronger push after the actuation point. I mean, the job is done, just collapse and stop bugging my fingers :D
Sounds like you're a prime candidate for a beam spring, because that's EXACTLY what they do.
So I just need to connect one of these to my laptop and I'm ready to go :D
It's sad that they stopped manufacturing a lot of nice switches just because cheaper alternatives came up.

Return to “Try before you buy”