Who cycles?

mr_a500

03 Jun 2015, 18:12

Then it seems I'll need to kick your ass too.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

03 Jun 2015, 18:13

I crashed only twice in over thirty years. So you guys all ride like madmen then right? :O

Muirium
µ

03 Jun 2015, 18:13

This whole forum's a tool for Webwit's collecting. Don'tchya know?

mr_a500 wrote:
Muirium wrote: Big dude. What else to say?
How tall are you? ...just wondering, in case we get into a fight over Cindy's beam spring haul and I need to kick your ass.
You and whose Arnie?

(Holds for applause. Or vegetables. Whatever.)

Huh. That would have been funnier last page…

derzemel

03 Jun 2015, 18:17

mr_a500 wrote:
Muirium wrote: Big dude. What else to say?
+
Muirium wrote: My current one's a 64 cm XXL

How tall are you? ...just wondering, in case we get into a fight over Cindy's beam spring haul and I need to kick your ass.
Based on the above clues, I think he is a healthy Highlander who probably plays Caber Toss as a hobby and is a professional Rugby Player

Probably he is the size of Hafthór Björnsson

So my conclusion would be that you grab the beamspring and make a run for it
Last edited by derzemel on 03 Jun 2015, 18:22, edited 2 times in total.

webwit
Wild Duck

03 Jun 2015, 18:18

seebart wrote: I crashed only twice in over thirty years. So you guys all ride like madmen then right? :O
I think I only crashed once in the past decades spanning far back in the previous millennium. The road was covered with ice and I slipped. Sore hip. I ride my bike almost every day, I think it would take special effort, or racing downhill, to hit the road with your head first. Luckily there is no downhill here.

seebart

03 Jun 2015, 18:18

You could also use the beamspring as a weapon. But that would be my last choice.

webwit
Wild Duck

03 Jun 2015, 18:20

Muirium wrote: This whole forum's a tool for Webwit's collecting. Don'tchya know?
Unfortunately not. Both gh and dt have been a mistake. This has vastly raised prices.

seebart

03 Jun 2015, 18:43

webwit wrote:
Muirium wrote: This whole forum's a tool for Webwit's collecting. Don'tchya know?
Unfortunately not. Both gh and dt have been a mistake. This has vastly raised prices.
No come on don't say DT has been "a mistake" ?!?

Mal-2

04 Jun 2015, 06:33

webwit wrote:
They have also vastly improved selection and availability, so don't complain too much.

mr_a500

04 Jun 2015, 14:20

derzemel wrote: Based on the above clues, I think he is a healthy Highlander who probably plays Caber Toss as a hobby and is a professional Rugby Player

Probably he is the size of Hafthór Björnsson

So my conclusion would be that you grab the beamspring and make a run for it
Oh no. I can't get into a fight with a guy who tosses cabers. He might... you know... toss a caber at me. Then what'll I do? I've never tossed a caber in my life.

Muirium
µ

04 Jun 2015, 14:26

Some lumberjack you are!

mr_a500

04 Jun 2015, 14:27

Well yeah - I've chopped down trees and lifted tree trunks... but I just haven't tossed cabers.

fifted

04 Jun 2015, 20:13

This thread is off topic! Oh, wait...

Well, anyway, I cycle too! In my neck of America (Pacific Northwest) there's a lot of road biking, so drivers are cognizant of cyclists. That said, my bike's not nearly as fancy as most around here: it's a 1995 Giant hybrid that I got off Craigslist for $150 last month; it hadn't seen a lot of use, and I've just finished truing the wheels and repacking the hubs, so it rides great. Plus, it has fenders and a rear rack for better rainy-day commuting.

I ride to and from work (15 miles round trip -- 20 km -- goodness, this forum gets me good at mental metric-imperial calculations) regularly, as long as it's not rainy -- I haven't got the rain gear to do that in comfort yet.

Picture of my bike (at the church rummage sale where I bought it):
Spoiler:
Re: bike size, mine's a 21-inch -- that's ~54cm but I'm not sure the measurements are the same as for Mu's giant bike. Or was that a 64cm helmet? Maybe head size and bike size are correlated?

derzemel

04 Jun 2015, 20:22

fifted wrote: it's a 1995 Giant hybrid
Oh, very nice! It looks like an ideal commuter bike
fifted wrote: Plus, it has fenders and a rear rack for better rainy-day commuting.
I wished soooo hard to have had fenders today. I got caught by a torrential rain while riding home from work. At least the bike got a good wash :lol:

seebart

04 Jun 2015, 20:28

Very solid bike fifted. After madhias crazy hub accident I took a look at my MTB hubs and some other stuff on that bike before hitting the road today.

mr_a500

04 Jun 2015, 20:36

I'm thinking of getting one of these electric bikes.

It might be best to wait for improvements in battery technology though.
Last edited by mr_a500 on 04 Jun 2015, 20:38, edited 1 time in total.

seebart

04 Jun 2015, 20:37

I see them quite a bit recently. Not styled like that one though.

Muirium
µ

04 Jun 2015, 20:46

A friend has one. £2500! Ah well, guess he can afford it with his pension…

seebart

04 Jun 2015, 20:49

Yes the good ones cost something like that, or more... :O

idollar
i$

04 Jun 2015, 22:14

Hi, I also cycle to work (sometimes).

I just came from a nice ride with my wife. The weather is beautiful. We saw a little wild pig crossing in front of us direction to the forest !

bpiphany

06 Jun 2015, 13:01

Madhias wrote: This happened yesterday when driving to work - I already contacted the producer of this hub and wheelset and I will get a repaired one back:

I'm not sure what the hub manufacturers say about radial (0-cross) spoke patterns. Since so many bikes come with the front wheel built with them it's probably supposed to be ok with them. However, apparently, all hubs don't stand up to the task. Ask for a wheel built with a 3-cross pattern instead. Having a look at it it's quite obvious how it improves durability. (At least that's what I'm going to say. Unless someone comes along and proves the resulting forces are equal regardless of spoke pattern...)

Read all about it http://sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html

(RIP Sheldon)

Edit: A 3-cross pattern with only 20 spokes(?) may perhaps not be possible, 2-cross perhaps.

seebart

06 Jun 2015, 15:47

Very good point bpiphany. I ride a lot and really never think about stuff like that. Probably because I never had any problems with my hubs and spokes. Good link too thanks. This here is a Cannondale omega hub on my F600 from 2003. It's seen quite a bit of off road action.

Mal-2

06 Jun 2015, 15:49

bpiphany wrote: I'm not sure what the hub manufacturers say about radial (0-cross) spoke patterns. Since so many bikes come with the front wheel built with them it's probably supposed to be ok with them. However, apparently, all hubs don't stand up to the task. Ask for a wheel built with a 3-cross pattern instead. Having a look at it it's quite obvious how it improves durability. (At least that's what I'm going to say. Unless someone comes along and proves the resulting forces are equal regardless of spoke pattern...)
I do know that Rohloff specifically states that using a radial spoke pattern with a Speedhub voids the warranty, and the Speedhub is about as bulletproof as it gets.
Small wheels:
Wheels smaller than 26“ must be laced using a single cross lacing pattern in order to
guarantee the spokes will have the correct angle of entry to the rim.
Radial lacing the Rohloff SPEEDHUB 500/14 is not permitted!

Khers

06 Jun 2015, 16:12

Mal-2 wrote: I do know that Rohloff specifically states that using a radial spoke pattern with a Speedhub voids the warranty, and the Speedhub is about as bulletproof as it gets.
The load on the rear hub (particularly the drive side) is quite different from that on the front, so this sort of an apples to pears comparison. You do see radially spoked front wheels, but not rear (at least not drive side). Same with disc brakes, where you also have a different hub load as comparedto rim brake, and therefore you'll never encounter a radially spoked disc wheel.

bhtooefr

06 Jun 2015, 16:52

That said, radial spoking is going to be less strong than a proper cross pattern, and I personally wouldn't do it, especially at lower spoke counts.

Findecanor

06 Jun 2015, 18:26

webwit wrote: Luckily there is no downhill here.
There is no downhill anywhere in your entire country... :P

I crashed once when I was 14 y/o while trying to race downhill and lost control of the bike. Could have gone a lot worse. The helmet saved my life. Long jeans and shirt saved the arm and leg on my left side from being torn up, except for the knee where there had previously been a tiny hole in my jeans.

A couple of years ago, ran into a curb when a bus tried to squeeze past me on a narrow road. I was OK but the bike got a broken break line.
Last week, a shoelace got wound around the pedal and I came to a sudden stop and fell. Luckily, I had just decided to do a 180° turn to try a new hamburger place that I had just passed, so I didn't have any speed. I caught the ground with my arms, and have had a mild ache in it since. The doctor don't think anything was broken.

webwit
Wild Duck

06 Jun 2015, 19:21

:shock: You should start using one of these! They are very safe.

derzemel

06 Jun 2015, 19:26

webwit wrote: :shock: You should start using one of these! They are very safe.
Spoiler:
Not really:

bhtooefr

06 Jun 2015, 19:29

Hey now, I know a forum that, if you sold it to them as a "MBB FWD recumbent trike", and made it adult-sized, would probably buy it.

(MBB == Moving Bottom Bracket. Something I'd like to try to ride in bicycle form, but with a somewhat steep learning curve in the bicycle case (you have to balance out your pedaling by countering the steering). The advantage to most MBB FWD bikes is that you get a recumbent with a chainline that's identical to an upright.)

http://www.bentrideronline.com/messageb ... p?t=102879

seebart

06 Jun 2015, 20:01

Those look dangerous. Close to the ground going fast on three wheels. :O
Must be noisy as hell with that metal when drifting.

Return to “Off-topic”