SCM Profile

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

03 Jun 2015, 07:39

Some you already know I am in the process of opening an injection molding business and have taken on the task of reproducing Model F Barrels and a few other keyboard related components as a hobby distraction for what will be the monotonous production of some specialized alignment shims for masonry construction and souvenirs for the local tourism industry. I have also been working on plans for a set of key caps. I decided that if I was going to commit the resources to custom after market caps that I would do something different since what I wanted personally wasn’t readily available. I have been working for a couple of months now and the current design is significantly different from what I started with. The changes are a result mostly from comments and pictures posted here on DT and through personal observation of others while they type. I have also reached out to a few forum members for some initial review and direction and am grateful for the input that has been offered as well as samples to engineer from. I plan to have these caps available in the near future and will be sending out prototypes for testing in a few weeks to those who have helped to guide me to this point.

I would like to introduce you to a new profile that I am referring to as SCM Profile.

There are six distinct row profiles and row five will have two options, a 14 degree face or an 11 degree face. The rows are numbered from the top down. All keys will be reversible.

ROW1 -16 degrees -12 degrees
ROW2 -12 degrees -9 degrees
ROW3 -9 degrees -6 degrees
ROW4 +4 degrees
ROW5 +14 / +11 degrees
ROW6 +/-3 degrees (+/-2 degree space bar)

Vertical keys will be sculpted to match the theoretical curve between the rows they cover. Keep in mind that this is just entering the prototyping stage and there may be some adjustments based on feedback or other unforeseen issues, but I am eager to see it move forward as quickly as possible.
My plan is to ultimately offer as many key sizes as possible and focus on short to possibly moderately sized runs. If time permits I will probably even consider requests for special one-off projects. I really enjoy custom work and will try to be available for it as much as it is feasible.

I have posted this in the workshop because nothing is for sale at this point. However I am open to suggestions for an initial offering.

The images below are rendered with the 14 degree row 5.

*** edited for updates / images
Last edited by rsbseb on 10 Jun 2015, 04:38, edited 4 times in total.

Topre Enthusiast

03 Jun 2015, 10:48

Renders look great!

Reminds me of the delicious Just Systems 108 HiPro :)

Muirium
µ

03 Jun 2015, 12:46

This is even more awesome than you think, folks. Because did you notice that he said nothing about MX mount? A small workshop, like Rsbseb is putting together, can handle really small and custom jobs. No need for daunting MOQs. He's not afraid of going Topre the way SP etc. never do. Alps, Beamspring, you name it: we've been talking! I passed along a good sense of our madness for all the other switches here at DT. This profile is designed with several of them in mind.

Rsbseb plans to help us manufacture several of our most sought after components in real plastic. I don't want to spoil his announcements (or presume too much about his initial projects) but there's exciting stuff aplenty being considered right now. Not least of all these caps!

He's one of us. Let's see what we can make.

scottc

03 Jun 2015, 12:58

Excellent work, Rsbseb. The profile looks fantastic. Of course we'll need to feel it to be sure but it's got all the right looks for something amazing already. Very excited about this.

SL89

03 Jun 2015, 13:56

The renders are spot on to what I had in my minds eye. Great work rsbseb! This is one of the most exciting endeavors I've seen on any of the keyboard forums by a longshot.

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

03 Jun 2015, 14:00

Looks awesome. So many things happening on DT right now!

chzel

03 Jun 2015, 16:11

Yeap...Spherical buckling spring...gimme!

Muirium
µ

03 Jun 2015, 16:50

Buckling spring will be tricky, but it's under consideration. Believe it or not: beamspring is easier!

chzel

03 Jun 2015, 16:55

I imagine so, BS is quite complicated if one-piece and a bit on the thin side of easy molding if two-piece.

Muirium
µ

03 Jun 2015, 16:57

Not to mention: IBM did it in PBT while Rsbseb is working in ABS. Could have different properties. Those buckling spring caps must flex for installation and removal in a different way than other caps.

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

03 Jun 2015, 16:58

Muirium wrote: This is even more awesome than you think, folks. Because did you notice that he said nothing about MX mount?
Ahhh, but there will be an MX mount for SCM ;)

chzel

03 Jun 2015, 17:00

BTW, what does SCM stand for? Spherical Cap Madness?

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

03 Jun 2015, 17:10

chzel wrote: BTW, what does SCM stand for? Spherical Cap Madness?
My initial inspiration was a set of Smith Corona keys I have. There really is nothing left of them in the design at this point but SCM was (Smith Corona Modified). It is just an arbitrary nod to my original inspiration.

andrewjoy

03 Jun 2015, 17:13

this needs to exist for cherry :) and BS :) oo and Space invaders :)

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

03 Jun 2015, 17:20

andrewjoy wrote: this needs to exist for cherry :) and BS :) oo and Space invaders :)
Ding, Ding, Ding. All those are on my want to do list, it just takes time.

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

03 Jun 2015, 17:25

002 wrote: Renders look great!

Reminds me of the delicious Just Systems 108 HiPro :)
You nailed it. That was the inspiration for the color in the render

Muirium
µ

03 Jun 2015, 17:45

rsbseb wrote:
andrewjoy wrote: this needs to exist for cherry :) and BS :) oo and Space invaders :)
Ding, Ding, Ding. All those are on my want to do list, it just takes time.
Space Invaders was one I nagged for politely suggested once or twice! I have some sample keys to send Rsbseb for analysis. It's low priority though as only a few of us have those boards. I suggested Topre should be on his first tier right beside MX, and it is! I keenly await samples to try it out.

andrewjoy

03 Jun 2015, 18:42

i have wanted tall spherical like keys for MX for a while.

Ever since i got round 4 i was like

They are awesome , but think how amazing they would be if they where PBT :)

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

03 Jun 2015, 18:56

Here are some individual renders of the rows. I have also updated the images in the original post as the color and resolution were horrible. I should mention that all my modeling is being done by by son who has joined with me in this venture. He is rapidly becoming a keyboard enthusiast himself. He has an account here at DT and will probably chime in at some point when he is ready.

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

03 Jun 2015, 19:01

andrewjoy wrote: i have wanted tall spherical like keys for MX for a while.

Ever since i got round 4 i was like

They are awesome , but think how amazing they would be if they where PBT :)
Once I am familiar with the flow characteristics of the mold profiles for these keys I will experiment with PBT. However it will probably require a whole new set of tooling and testing. PBT is definately a development goal for me but I certainly cannot offer or commit to a time frame at this point.

SL89

03 Jun 2015, 19:18

Also it seems silly to ask, but have you considered doing each of the keys that are >1u (Shift, space etc) with row appropriate shapes or will it be one size fits all? (Including rotations for Numpad Enter and +)

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

03 Jun 2015, 19:40

If there is a need for key width in any given row profile I will probably tool for it. I want to keep this as flexible as possible so non standard keyboards and personal preferences can be accommodated.

Muirium
µ

03 Jun 2015, 19:49

What do you think about stepped caps? Like the Shifts on this beamspring:

IBM tended to put them all over the place, until they all but vanished in the Model M. Since then, the one and only stepped cap is Caps Lock, on IBM and many others. Though not everyone!

Stepped Caps Lock often has an offset mount (to the left of centre) while classic stepped caps like those above are still centred.

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

03 Jun 2015, 19:58

I want this key set to have as many options as possible. Once the profile is vetted and production ready. Things like special sizes, steps, shapes and mounts will definitely be considered.

Muirium
µ

03 Jun 2015, 20:01

That's the spirit. We'll always be pestering for ever more obscure edge cases, so be brave and say no from time to time! What matters most is going for popular stuff at first. So long as Topre's included!

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

03 Jun 2015, 20:10

Ok. I will will say NO right now to a 5u vertical space bar!

mr_a500

03 Jun 2015, 20:11

Aren't there enough bloody Cherry keycaps out there? I desperately want Amiga Mitsumi mount. I've got about 20 Amiga keyboards in varying shades of horrible yellowed beige that would look so much better with double-shot sphericals.

Muirium
µ

03 Jun 2015, 20:17

I wonder about MX as well. There's so much competition already. Definitely a large installed base though who are trained used to handing SP & pals large sums for plastic.

Those of us on vintage switches are smaller in number and an unproven market. I think we're worth it, if only we could all agree on switches! (Correct answer: beamspring then space invaders, natch.)

Topre, meanwhile, is in the middle. Expensive boards, still sold new, with next to no caps options at all. People spend princely sums on HiPro boards just for the caps. You have to join a lottery to get the chance to buy a bloody Clack! I reckon Topre is the sweet spot. But I would say that…

mr_a500

03 Jun 2015, 20:19

I think there's a pretty big market for buckling spring. Most people who are interested in keyboards know about the Model M. (but many are strangely ignorant of the Model F)

Muirium
µ

03 Jun 2015, 20:23

mr_a500 wrote: I think there's a pretty big market for buckling spring. Most people who are interested in keyboards know about the Model M. (but many are strangely ignorant of the Model F)
Yeah, buckling spring has some promise too. Large numbers of potential customers out there. Beloved boards. But less bad off than Topre for caps though: Unicomp does a load of options these days for fair money, just shame they're not as good as IBM originals.

Buckling spring could be hard to do, physically. Worth exploring, mind.

Return to “Workshop”