My old mouse 'Logitech MX518'

kbdcraft

08 Jun 2015, 14:32

This one is so very old.
I like this MX518 mouse.
In these day...I can't get this anymore...

HzFaq

08 Jun 2015, 14:59

Very nice, I had the same one for years and loved it. I think I got rid of it for an old IMO or something...at one point I was super concerned about prediction and acceleration back when I took gaming far too seriously so went right back to basics. I have a Zowie FK1 at home now which is fine for the little gaming I do and use a Rollermouse at work which is probably the greatest (and most overpriced) ergo mouse ever but the MX518 will always have a special place in my peripheral heart :D.

\/\/oll3

08 Jun 2015, 15:30

kbdcraft wrote: In these day...I can't get this anymore...
That might be because it is obsolete these days. ;)

elecplus

08 Jun 2015, 16:40

They are still available new from $120, or used from $19.

scottc

08 Jun 2015, 17:51

Used for $19! I had no idea they were so cheap nowadays. Such a comfortable mouse.

davkol

08 Jun 2015, 19:52

\/\/oll3 wrote:
kbdcraft wrote: In these day...I can't get this anymore...
That might be because it is obsolete these days. ;)
I don't see how it's obsolete… as long as there are people with non-4k+ screens and USB ports.

chzel

08 Jun 2015, 20:46

I am using my Avior at 800 dpi on a 2560x1440 screen...

Daniel

08 Jun 2015, 22:21

I've painted mine black (http://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/pain ... t3706.html) and still use it until this day for playing shooters. For everything else I switched to trackballs. Great mouse indeed.

\/\/oll3

09 Jun 2015, 06:48

davkol wrote: I don't see how it's obsolete… as long as there are people with non-4k+ screens and USB ports.
It has nothing to do with CPI, A3080/A3080E + 125hz only simply is obsolete in Comparison to 402´s AM010.

davkol

09 Jun 2015, 10:47

No, it isn't as long as it doesn't perceivably limit the users. "Moral" obsolescence is bullshit.

\/\/oll3

09 Jun 2015, 14:51

davkol wrote: No, it isn't as long as it doesn't perceivably limit the users. "Moral" obsolescence is bullshit.
Well, if you cant perceive the difference between angle snapping + 125hz and minimal angle snapping and 1000hz you frankly dont need a gaming mouse.

chzel

09 Jun 2015, 15:10

If you can discern 8ms vs 1ms of "lag" due to polling rate you are not a gamer, you are a machine.
Angle snapping maybe, polling rate...no...First of all you are most likely refresh rate limited. If you cannot see with better resolution than 17ms, you can't even begin to react fast enough for polling rate to be a major issue...
If you can reliably tell one from another in a ABX test, then by all means get a new mouse.
But don't fall for the trap of stats and specs and snake oil. Or the audiophiles might find you.

\/\/oll3

09 Jun 2015, 16:06

chzel wrote: If you can discern 8ms vs 1ms of "lag" due to polling rate you are not a gamer, you are a machine.
Angle snapping maybe, polling rate...no...First of all you are most likely refresh rate limited. If you cannot see with better resolution than 17ms, you can't even begin to react fast enough for polling rate to be a major issue...
If you can reliably tell one from another in a ABX test, then by all means get a new mouse.
But don't fall for the trap of stats and specs and snake oil. Or the audiophiles might find you.
Well, then there are quite a few machines out there, regardless of that, polling rate affects the smoothness of mousemovement alot because for example 1000hz syncs up better with 100hz(monitor refresh) than 125hz. Not to mention that AM010 is overall more responsive than the old Avago´s(including 3090, which is very old from a technical viewpoint).

davkol

09 Jun 2015, 16:18

\/\/oll3 wrote:
davkol wrote: No, it isn't as long as it doesn't perceivably limit the users. "Moral" obsolescence is bullshit.
Well, if you cant perceive the difference between angle snapping + 125hz and minimal angle snapping and 1000hz you frankly dont need a gaming mouse.
…and your logical fallacy is the false dilemma.

A whole bunch of developers, architects, designers,… is getting "gaming" mice, because of
  • mid-/high sensitivity on HiRes-/multiscreen setups,
  • more shape options,
  • extra buttons and on-board memory with support for macros,
despite the "edgy" design.

\/\/oll3

09 Jun 2015, 17:16

davkol wrote:
\/\/oll3 wrote:
…and your logical fallacy is the false dilemma.

A whole bunch of developers, architects, designers,… is getting "gaming" mice, because of
  • mid-/high sensitivity on HiRes-/multiscreen setups,
  • more shape options,
  • extra buttons and on-board memory with support for macros,
despite the "edgy" design.
You are only reinforcing my point that the MX518 is obsolete, a lot of office mice already offer rebindable buttons and similar CPI. I also like how you are trying to sound smart by throwing "fancy" words around.

chzel

09 Jun 2015, 18:00

A product is not obsolete when a new and better one comes out.
It becomes obsolete when it can no longer perform it's original function good enough to satisfy the needs of the user.
Really, just do an ABX test. It's easy,test both settings and then have a friend change the poll rate and see if you can find reliably which setting he used.
If you really need all the new bells and whistles, can you explain why A LOT of gamers still play and actively search for IME 3.0s?
I mean, it's just 400dpi and polling up to 500hz...should have been obsolete many moons ago.

Also, do you routinely play on a 100hz monitor at 100fps? or is it more like 50-60 fps?
Any of this talk has a point only if we are talking offline gaming. Enter online and all bets are off. Your ping will almost certainly have more variation than the 7ms difference of 125/1000hz.

And davkol wasn't trying to sound smart. You were indeed ignoring the big grey area between.

\/\/oll3

09 Jun 2015, 18:18

chzel wrote: A product is not obsolete when a new and better one comes out.
It becomes obsolete when it can no longer perform it's original function good enough to satisfy the needs of the user.
Obsolete also means outdated, which the MX518 is.
chzel wrote: Really, just do an ABX test. It's easy,test both settings and then have a friend change the poll rate and see if you can find reliably which setting he used.
Polling rate is easily identified simply by Cursorpath.
chzel wrote: If you really need all the new bells and whistles, can you explain why A LOT of gamers still play and actively search for IME 3.0s?
I mean, it's just 400dpi and polling up to 500hz...should have been obsolete many moons ago.
MLT04 is still one of the most responsive platforms with nearly zero anglesnapping, thats why, A3080 on the other Hand while being responsive has massive Angle snapping.
chzel wrote: Also, do you routinely play on a 100hz monitor at 100fps? or is it more like 50-60 fps?
Actually i play with 120hz and 240fps.
chzel wrote: Any of this talk has a point only if we are talking offline gaming. Enter online and all bets are off. Your ping will almost certainly have more variation than the 7ms difference of 125/1000hz.
Been there, done that, also ping doesnt change the importance of cursorbehaviour, my point also wasnt about the 7ms, too many mice have latency similar to that anyway.
chzel wrote: And davkol wasn't trying to sound smart. You were indeed ignoring the big grey area between.
And the MX518 doesnt serve neither well according to the points he mentioned.

Muirium
µ

09 Jun 2015, 19:20

Obsolete? Outdated!? That's fighting talk around here! Don't you know how old our keyboards are? And we endeavour to use ever older ones!

Sure enough, mice are different in that they've continued to get better in recent decades while keyboards just got ever cheaper to make. So I won't dive into this argument. But watch your words!

davkol

09 Jun 2015, 20:45

\/\/oll3 wrote: You are only reinforcing my point that the MX518 is obsolete, a lot of office mice already offer rebindable buttons and similar CPI. I also like how you are trying to sound smart by throwing "fancy" words around.
So, what specific non-gaming mice have the shape and size of MX518? What specific non-gaming mice have multiplatform support for button remapping? What specific non-gaming mouse can be expected to last as long as the OP's MX518? What should the poor MX518 owners get to avoid using an outdated device and please the gods of consumerism?

Or… going back to your cute little fallacy… Here goes a counterexample. What if I want to persistently configure my mouse natively on GNU/Linux? Well, I'm stuck with Roccat AFAIK.

Elrick

04 Jul 2015, 07:40

davkol wrote:
\/\/oll3 wrote: What if I want to persistently configure my mouse natively on GNU/Linux? Well, I'm stuck with Roccat AFAIK.
So what's wrong with Roccat :evil: ?

davkol

04 Jul 2015, 10:46

Wrong? Well, Kova[+] has the old wheel (ugh), and so does Pyra. Lua is tiny and lacks side buttons. There's no other option for left-handed use. I've had a chance to get Mionix Avior or CM Storm Recon, but turned both offers down, as well as resold Zowie FK, because of configuration software (Windows-only, if at all). HID-specific remapping sometimes exposes bugs in other tools I use, and the rest messes with my Wacom tablet and trackball.

cookie

13 Aug 2015, 11:03

Do not throw it away! Once you start searching for a great mouse, you will probably be disappointed all day long until you get back to this little fella!

KEEP IT!

Nappy

28 Oct 2015, 20:59

The only problem with this mouse is the coating, it will diminish at some point.

Linkert

11 Nov 2015, 18:27

It's a great mouse. Had one years back, huge portions of coating were gone. Before that I had the quite odd MX310 model with the back and forward buttons placed on the left and right side of the mouse, ouuff (otherwise great).

Return to “Mice & other input devices”