What are you listening to at the moment?

Mal-2

30 May 2015, 23:43

photekq wrote: And rediscovered after having not heard it in a few years. The song that got me interested in electronic music. Real oldschool :maverick: :
You just know the Funky Drummer D&B is coming, but it makes you wait for it.
photekq wrote: Window Licker probably isn't my favourite by Aphex but it's catchy. Polynomial C, X-Tal, Avril 14th and Alberto Balsalm all beat it I think.
I don't think Windowlicker is even my favorite song on the EP, and the video (not what you posted, but the actual music video) completely rubs me the wrong way. The song with an equation as a title is probably the one I dig the most.

Stabilized

30 May 2015, 23:45

photekq wrote:
SL89 wrote:
Spoiler:
Burial!

Homeless & Pirates are my favourites by him.. Archangel is good too. In fact, that whole album is gold.

Window Licker probably isn't my favourite by Aphex but it's catchy. Polynomial C, X-Tal, Avril 14th and Alberto Balsalm all beat it I think.
Haven't heard Burial for a while, really enjoy Archangel myself as well as Shell of Light.
Wasn't a big fan of his more recent collaborations though (especially the one with Thom Yorke), seemed a bit forced.

photekq
Cherry Picker

31 May 2015, 00:14

Yeah, some of his collabs are a bit iffy to say the least. I prefer his solo stuff.

@Mal, I linked one without the video for a reason.. :lol:

+Another D&B one for you.. The song that gave me my forum name :mrgreen:

SL89

31 May 2015, 00:25

Burial is a go to band lately to erase the noise from my head as alluded to in my past posts.

@photekq have you randomly heard the version of come to daddy by the dillinger escape plan?

ik these are like his 'greatest hits' but it takes a lot of digging to get into Aphex sometimes.

also +1 for Avril 14th, Kanye sampled it and used it very well.

davkol

01 Jun 2015, 11:29

JustLiQuiD

01 Jun 2015, 17:29

Muirium
µ

03 Jun 2015, 01:49

Blue Boy? You think this is the nineties? No, no, back to the source.

Ace
§

03 Jun 2015, 04:26

I remember when this song came out. :cry:
I was in 5th grade at the time..............................

derzemel

03 Jun 2015, 13:26

Q: what comes out when an Avantgarde Metal band experiments with electro?
A: my new favorite song:
Here is the Bandcamp Link for better quality

Ace
§

03 Jun 2015, 17:36

derzemel wrote: Here is the Bandcamp Link for better quality
Can you explain how Bandcamp has better quality? In not trying to challenge you or anything, but I've heard this more than once. Is there any real difference? :|

derzemel

03 Jun 2015, 17:40

Ace wrote: Can you explain how Bandcamp has better quality? In not trying to challenge you or anything, but I've heard this more than once. Is there any real difference? :|
Well... I played the song on BandCamp, then I played it on Youtube and I noticed differences.
I am not saying that bandcamp has more quality ussualy than youtube, or the other way around. It was simply a hearing preference when I listened to the song earlier today

Ace
§

04 Jun 2015, 05:13

Oh. I'll have to look into that. Maybe they use a lossless format?

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

04 Jun 2015, 05:17

This is great for when I am doing homework. :D

Ace
§

04 Jun 2015, 07:56

@Redmaus Noice! :mrgreen:

Mal-2

04 Jun 2015, 11:35

Ace wrote: Oh. I'll have to look into that. Maybe they use a lossless format?
Bandcamp requires lossless uploads, and makes lossless available for download, but streams compressed. Their streaming compression is kinda shitty, as is YouTube's, but they're different kinds of shitty. Notably, the Bandcamp compression distorts at high volume levels, when the lossless original is still within acceptable range.

However, if you download the track and select FLAC or WAV, it should be pristine.

wlhlm
~

04 Jun 2015, 11:37

I guess one should buy the music instead of ripping the stream files, so I'm ok with that. Works good as preview regardless.

mr_a500

04 Jun 2015, 13:14

Redmaus wrote:
This is great for when I am doing homework. :D
Not necessarily a comment about music, but... how in the hell can anybody "love the 90's??'

I consider the 90's the first decade that absolutely sucked. (yes, the entire decade)

Muirium
µ

04 Jun 2015, 13:30

Yeah, the collapse of the USSR really sucked. Where are all our cool Cold War movies now?

I would say any time can trigger nostalgia if that was when you were young. But I was 10-20 years old through the 90s and really loathed the music. Thank Christ for the internet that took off towards the end. That's where I found my way into the good stuff.

hj-s

04 Jun 2015, 13:53

Psychedelic / stoner-doom anyone?

derzemel

04 Jun 2015, 17:08

hj-s wrote: Psychedelic / stoner-doom anyone?
yes, of course :D
It make me think the the song Empress Rising by Monolord: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCc901E02eY

and to keep it in the same note, I was just listening to something from highschool:

davkol

04 Jun 2015, 17:24

mr_a500 wrote: I consider the 90's the first decade that absolutely sucked. (yes, the entire decade)
Muirium wrote: Yeah, the collapse of the USSR really sucked. Where are all our cool Cold War movies now?
As someone, who lives in the former Eastern Bloc: Where are all our cool Cold War movies now?

Muirium
µ

04 Jun 2015, 17:33

The Hunt for Blue July: Hero of the Revolution, Igor Randomov, fights a battle of the mind with Jamesdean Bobhope, an American nuclear submarine captain who wishes, against the orders of his corporatist imperial commanders, to liberate his ship to the sons of Lenin. Rated 5 red stars by Kim Jong Il. Must see. Or you will be arrested.

mr_a500

04 Jun 2015, 17:41

There's another cold war coming along - and after that, a few hot ones. If we aren't all dead or dying, I'm sure Hollywood will churn out a few more war movies. (with the now-obligatory superhero robots with special powers)

Muirium
µ

04 Jun 2015, 17:47

I'd say I can't stand all these comicbook superpower movies, but that'd be unfair as I've never actually bothered to go see any of them.

Not enough Queen soundtrack. Not enough Jane Fonda in fetish wear. Not enough… ungh!

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

04 Jun 2015, 17:49

mr_a500 wrote: Not necessarily a comment about music, but... how in the hell can anybody "love the 90's??'

I consider the 90's the first decade that absolutely sucked. (yes, the entire decade)
I have no idea. I just barely experienced the 90's. 8-)

kbdfr
The Tiproman

07 Jun 2015, 17:50

My absolute favourite cover version of a Beatles song:
Spoiler:
Peter Sellers performs 'A Hard Day's Night' by The Beatles, in the style of Laurence Olivier's interpretation of Richard III.

davkol

08 Jun 2015, 23:46

Storm the Sorrow O_o

Ace
§

11 Jun 2015, 00:41

Mal-2 wrote:
Ace wrote: Oh. I'll have to look into that. Maybe they use a lossless format?
Bandcamp requires lossless uploads, and makes lossless available for download, but streams compressed. Their streaming compression is kinda shitty, as is YouTube's, but they're different kinds of shitty. Notably, the Bandcamp compression distorts at high volume levels, when the lossless original is still within acceptable range.

However, if you download the track and select FLAC or WAV, it should be pristine.
Ah. I see. So Bandcamp's considered the go-to place for lossless music (which I know is a must-have for audiophiles)?

BTW, what sort of compression does Soundcloud use? It's where I go to listen to all the brilliant pieces of music that haven't been published.

Ace
§

11 Jun 2015, 00:46

Muirium wrote: Yeah, the collapse of the USSR really sucked.
Don't be ridiculous! :x
The USSR is still around. It may have another name (Russia), but it is still there, still slowly growing. :shock:

webwit
Wild Duck

11 Jun 2015, 00:46

You might find this interesting:
http://www.npr.org/sections/therecord/2 ... io-quality

I read somewhere the result is that 320kbps vs uncompressed couldn't be distinguished (except of course by the super human audiophiles), while 128kbps was clearly inferior.

Return to “Off-topic”