Cherry G80-3422LAMIT *NIB* | MX Blacks and weird Keycaps

Nuum

09 Jun 2015, 19:13

It feels quite nice to me, too. Maybe I'm a fan of PCB mount keyboards, my FaceU is also PCB mount and I love it. The 3 blank 1.25u keycaps are on it now and it's almost full of PBT now, apart from the Esc, the CMYW caps and the spacebar.

Muirium
µ

09 Jun 2015, 19:17

I'm also one of those guys who prefers the HHKB over the Realforce, for much the same reason I suppose. Or maybe not. Realforces don't strike me as scratchy, the way MX black does in plate mount (when it's no Nixdorf).

Just swapped over now to today's other arrival: the brand new Cherry MX 6.0 keyboard. Amusing contrast between the two! First up: literally. This guy lights up like an Antichristmas tree. It's also physically smaller, as you can see in my pics, but way heavier. The twist test is just worlds apart, what with this one being metal. Key feel is definitely different. Plate mount reds are a bit lighter than PCB mount blacks, but not as much as when they're both in a plate. Sure scratchier too! The caps on this are chintzy, and the profile is pretty weird. I prefer the beige ones! Quite tempted to pop them straight on this board actually. The stabs on this are better too.

Intriguing: the NKRO on this board shows up right over USB on my Mac like Soarer's converter. Cherry's done it well!

beltet

09 Jun 2015, 22:03

Got mine aswell. Looks good. But I got the caps from the G81-8008LPAIT aswell without realising that all the mods have a strange stabaliser... It was the mods I was going to use on regular MX board... :o :(

Anyway, that was my own fault for not checking it up. :oops:
Thanks for organising this acolombo!

acolombo

09 Jun 2015, 23:33

beltet wrote:Got mine aswell. Looks good. But I got the caps from the G81-8008LPAIT aswell without realising that all the mods have a strange stabaliser... It was the mods I was going to use on regular MX board... :o :(

Anyway, that was my own fault for not checking it up. :oops:
Thanks for organising this acolombo!
Yeah I also didn't know it before receiving them ): It looks like you could cut the excess part of the cap, that didn't look like a big problem. Still I don't remember if there are also the mounts for standard Cherry stabilizers or not, I packed them pretty quickly

Muirium
µ

10 Jun 2015, 18:11

Anyone know if any part of these keyboards yellows in UV light? I hate to give pale keyboards a tan! The caps are PBT, which is always a plus. But what about the spacebar? And what about the case?

chzel

10 Jun 2015, 18:13

Case most definitely yellows. Spacebar is PBT IIRC.

Muirium
µ

10 Jun 2015, 18:44

Fair enough. Thanks for the warning. Another one to keep out of the sun.

facetsesame
Mad Dasher

10 Jun 2015, 18:54

Received safe and sound, thanks again acolombo! Seeing these caps in person I'm no clearer what they're actually for.

I forgot that the NCR case from lolpes is winkeyless, so I may remove the two switches in the way. Then it'd fit, I'd just have two 0.5u gaps where the control keys sit. Maybe this is where I'll need to research the availability of stepped keys. Or offer a trade for another PCB...

acolombo

14 Jun 2015, 13:02

Did you all get your keyboard? If everyone is sorted I might start to take orders for a second run, as there's some people very interested and I also need another keyboard to gift to a friend ;)

chzel

14 Jun 2015, 13:07

I got mine!
Thanks!

beltet

14 Jun 2015, 18:39

acolombo wrote: Did you all get your keyboard? If everyone is sorted I might start to take orders for a second run, as there's some people very interested and I also need another keyboard to gift to a friend ;)
Iwould be interested in a second run. But maybe only for the caps.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

15 Jun 2015, 13:49

Got my caps today.

A curious mixture of different shades of beige/grey.
RightShift, Enter, NumPadEnter and Backspace are thick while all other caps are thin.
If anybody happens to be able to decipher the legends (e.g. "VP MV" or "AVV") on the two upper rows, please tell,
including why there is an EVE but no ADAM key :mrgreen:

Thanks, acolombo!

Sayso

16 Jun 2015, 18:24

Got mine today.

Thank you acolombo for this ;)

SL89

18 Jun 2015, 19:59

@acolombo How many do you still have on hand.

@kbdfr If you had to guess would you think the cap coloration are due to the unique nature of the legends? Possibly sourced from different manufacturing runs or something else?

acolombo

18 Jun 2015, 20:01

SL89 wrote: @acolombo How many do you still have on hand.

@kbdfr If you had to guess would you think the cap coloration are due to the unique nature of the legends? Possibly sourced from different manufacturing runs or something else?
None for the moment, but orders are open for the second run of the GB

Muirium
µ

18 Jun 2015, 20:08

You might get a few more since I just posted some tasty pictures of this board wearing Round 5 caps! It suits them quite well I think.
SL89 wrote: @kbdfr If you had to guess would you think the cap coloration are due to the unique nature of the legends? Possibly sourced from different manufacturing runs or something else?
The colours are on purpose. Here's mine in its original set:

There's nothing accidental about those various greys. Like everything about those deeply oddball legends, they surely mean something. We just don't know quite what! The Illuminati board…

SL89

18 Jun 2015, 20:12

Mu is 100% the reason I was here. Also, get some HONEY on that Uniqey!

acolombo

18 Jun 2015, 20:21

Muirium wrote: You might get a few more since I just posted some tasty pictures of this board wearing Round 5 caps! It suits them quite well I think.
SL89 wrote: @kbdfr If you had to guess would you think the cap coloration are due to the unique nature of the legends? Possibly sourced from different manufacturing runs or something else?
The colours are on purpose. Here's mine in its original set:

There's nothing accidental about those various greys. Like everything about those deeply oddball legends, they surely mean something. We just don't know quite what! The Illuminati board…
Damn, with that keycaps on it's awesome! I really need to buy a nice set of keycaps now!

I hope you won't mind if I used your photo for the first post, I think it describes the keyboard better than the potato photos that were there before.

Muirium
µ

18 Jun 2015, 20:24

The ones with Round 5 caps on? The only pics I shot of the keyboard with its own caps were with my iPhone. I could always open up the second box and shoot that…

@Sleighty: Remember to factor in the price of shipping from Italy to you in America. I know that equation all too well from the other direction! But at least you shouldn't have to worry about customs on top.

t!ng
Awake Sheep

18 Jun 2015, 20:53

I would like to know whether the bottom row has off-stems.

guk
1896 Vintage Reds

18 Jun 2015, 21:11

t!ng wrote: I would like to know whether the bottom row has off-stems.
Would be an oddity on a G80. But since Mu's R5 caps fit, they're center-stemmed anyway.

t!ng
Awake Sheep

18 Jun 2015, 21:33

Oh nice. Havent seen Mu's pics.
Now I would be interested in one without keycaps : )

Muirium
µ

18 Jun 2015, 21:47

Nothing Round 5 can't handle…

The only off centre stems on the whole board are Caps Lock and the spacebar. SP's universal spacebars handle it fine.

acolombo

19 Jun 2015, 00:47

t!ng wrote:Oh nice. Havent seen Mu's pics.
You can arrange something with beltet which wants only the caps

beltet

20 Jun 2015, 13:33

acolombo wrote:
t!ng wrote:Oh nice. Havent seen Mu's pics.
You can arrange something with beltet which wants only the caps
Sure! Order a board and I will take the caps from you. Details we can sort out through PM.

CRi

23 Jun 2015, 16:08

Is the second round still in progress? When is the deadline?

acolombo

23 Jun 2015, 16:54

CRi wrote:Is the second round still in progress? When is the deadline?
I didn't fix a deadline, we have to reach a minimum number of people before ;) currently the orders are 2, 3 considering mine

CRi

25 Jun 2015, 23:07

acolombo wrote:
CRi wrote:Is the second round still in progress? When is the deadline?
I didn't fix a deadline, we have to reach a minimum number of people before ;) currently the orders are 2, 3 considering mine
Ok great, I just paid for 2 keyboards :)

How many do you have for this order?

acolombo

25 Jun 2015, 23:10

Thanks for the payment. We are at 7 keyboards now. I'll order them from the seller after we reach 10 people. Estimated shipping is around the first or second week of July

acolombo

30 Jun 2015, 14:48

we reached the moq, order will close 6 July 2015

Return to “Group buys”