The Realforce Euro Tour - Round 4

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

22 May 2015, 19:47

That's it, but that's webwit's beamspring version.

Muirium
µ

22 May 2015, 20:10

Good luck finding that one: the Kishsaver of beamsprings! (Just don't call it that when Webwit's around, you'll cause an angry flap.) Anyway, failing that, you could always slum it with one of these:

@Seebart: Linears all the way down, eh? Have you tried a clicky switch you really liked? Topre's king of tactile. Beamspring's king of clicky swing.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

22 May 2015, 20:42

No, I do like blue Alps and Monterey's. Both clicky. I forgot to mention buckling spring. Capacitive much more so than membrane. My IBM F and AT are still right up there in preference.

Muirium
µ

22 May 2015, 21:00

Then you should be good to go. Beamspring shares a fair bit in common with Model F. But it's nicer. It has that Topre-like swing after actuation, which is the real magic. Must be tried to be believed!

robpaulson

26 May 2015, 15:52

The realforce hits the road again :D
Tracking here. You have to insert the tracking number ADCM5NG, click on "aggiungi codice" (add code) and then click on "esegui la ricerca" (search).

I want to thank 002 and everyone that made the tour possible :)

Really nice keyboard in terms of comfort and ergonomics, it's the only keyboard I tried that made my pinkies feel comfortable.

amospalla
let's go

26 May 2015, 18:37

Hi,

I have just bought a Realforce from x0x02 member.

Could you sphinx please send the keyboard to andrewjoy?

Please remove me from the list, and sorry for this late change, but I couldn't resist buying it :D.

Thank you again 002.

shreebles
Finally 60%

26 May 2015, 18:49

That means the shipping shuffle was all for naught...
Spikebolt wrote: I'd also like to request that the guy next/previous to us portuguese is amospalla from Spain. Shipping is considerably cheaper to Spain than everywhere else on EU.

acolombo

29 May 2015, 22:43

Image the Realforce is here! At first impression I don't like Topres that much, they remind me a bit of MX Red which I don't like also. I prefer the clickyness of MX Blue. Maybe I just need to get accustomed
Last edited by acolombo on 29 May 2015, 22:58, edited 1 time in total.

wlhlm
~

29 May 2015, 22:47

What do you think about the variably weighted switches?

Muirium
µ

30 May 2015, 00:09

My impression: variable!

Give Topre time to get accustomed. It's a grower. A little too subtle at first for its own good, until, without noticing, you get used to it and crave it everywhere.

acolombo

30 May 2015, 12:11

After some use I noticed I'm less keen to bottom out on Topres, which I usually do on MX, even if the wiki says it should be the opposite. I can describe the whole experience as "softer" than the MX Blues and Buckling Spring I'm used to. I can use less force to write on the keyboard, as the membrane is bouncing my fingers off the key better than what MX springs do.

At first it reminded me of MX red, which I used for a small period of time and didn't like. I think I will give MX red another try after the Realforce has to go...

About the variable weight, I don't like it. I use the same finger for modifiers and for alphas, and when I use modifiers I apply more force than needed. I would probably like the lighter weight also for the alphas though.

But I really miss the click and the whole idea of having mechanical switches under my fingers.

acolombo

04 Jun 2015, 15:28

Realforce on its way to Portugal, BRT tracking number AA00459643483 6

Spikebolt
√(4) != -2

04 Jun 2015, 16:18

Yay :D

wlhlm
~

04 Jun 2015, 16:35

I'd like to give my spot in this tour back. I was able to join the Novatouch tour (and I'm currently typing on one ;)) and also struck a good deal on a Realforce TKL in the meantime. I think I've collected enough impressions already. I don't think that the variable weighting is the right thing for me since I'm using the keyboard for gaming as well and it can be very irritating. I actually tried something similar with Cherry switches and wasn't a fan of it.

sphinx
Major Bummer

16 Jun 2015, 13:23

any progress here?

Spikebolt
√(4) != -2

16 Jun 2015, 15:09

It's on my way, but we're having a bit of trouble with the transport service. Hopefully it's all sorted out by now and they will deliver the keyboard soon :/

acolombo

17 Jun 2015, 12:34

Yeah here is a link for the tracking: http://as777.brt.it/vas/sped_det_show.h ... ne=Ricerca
They tried 3 times and then marked the address as incorrect, now I asked for another try...

Spikebolt
√(4) != -2

19 Jun 2015, 12:30

Delivery failed again, I was home the entire time. No ring, no notice in the mail. Will try to contact the local guyz grrrr, Sorry for the delay,

Spikebolt
√(4) != -2

23 Jun 2015, 16:22

I have finally been able to talk with the local transport company, they only had partial address and phone number in their system even though it was supplied correctly multiple times. The delivery with the full address is scheduled for tomorrow.

I'd like to thank acolombo very much for his assistance in this long and painful process, he's the best.

Spikebolt
√(4) != -2

24 Jun 2015, 12:52

Hi again guys. Pleased to tell you that I am finally writting on the Realforce :) I am terribly sorry for the delay, had this amazing problem with the transport company but it's all solved now. Check the images below if you're curious to find out what happened.

I will try to be fast with the keyboard, I hope I can give it to sphinx by Monday, I feel like I already used too much of your time.

Again, many thanks to acolombo for everything.
Spoiler:
Address written by acolombo: perfect placement, very readable, ignored by the transport company

Sticker 1 by the transport company:

Sticker 2: How...?

wlhlm
~

24 Jun 2015, 12:53

Glad it finally arrived. :)

Enjoy the cup rubber! :evilgeek:

Spikebolt
√(4) != -2

25 Jun 2015, 10:58

Been typing on it for almost a day but honestly I don't feel like the variable weight is for me. I actually like the 30g keys and all but the fact that the modifiers are 45g really confuse me. It's a very weird experience.

Topre Enthusiast

25 Jun 2015, 12:32

Love how divisive Topre is :)
Every time I drop into the Tour thread I either find someone who is not keen or someone who is a convert to the Church of Oneness.

Muirium
µ

25 Jun 2015, 13:41

Where do you think Spikebolt falls on that axis? Sounds like he doesn't mind Topre itself, but is struggling with variable weight.

I must admit that although the variable weight on your Realforce didn't really bother me, I never considered one for myself! I'm not a well enough behaved touch typist for it to really pay off.

Spikebolt
√(4) != -2

25 Jun 2015, 14:04

I love my 88UB and especially my HHKB, the problem is not with the Topre itself but the variable weighting. I am super used to use the Caps lock as control (on Windows) and it is really confusing to require more pressure on the Caps Lock than the "A" key, for instance. The spacebar also seems to require more pressure than I'm used to. Maybe Realforce 45g > HHKB 45g? :S

The variable weight on the modifiers really kills it for me. I do enjoy le topré, but I guess standard weighting is my thing.

I'll be passing down the keyboard to sphinx later today, since I was starting to get anxious to get back to the HHKB XD

Muirium
µ

25 Jun 2015, 14:14

I think you're right about HHKB switch weight feeling lighter than the same figure (and domes) in the Realforce. Feels like the similar difference I get between plate and PCB mount MX keyboards. Only without all the obvious flex! Plates make switches heavier. As well as the keyboard.

<Insert nitpicking about the HHKB having a plastic plate here, why don't you.>

When I had 002's Realforce for a week or so, I think I typed in a credit card number on the numpad once. You're really missing out!

sphinx
Major Bummer

25 Jun 2015, 16:27

I've received the Realforce! Its kinda weird, i'll post my impressions during the week.

also i never used anything that wasnt iso pt layout so that's also weird

shreebles
Finally 60%

25 Jun 2015, 16:55

Spikebolt wrote: I am terribly sorry for the delay, had this amazing problem with the transport company but it's all solved now. Check the images below if you're curious to find out what happened.
Pretty funny, I mailed your package to that adress a few weeks back.
I was quite anxious whether it would arrive, as I have terrible handwriting, and got confused by the portugese address. It has so many numbers :lol:

On topic, I'm actually very curious of whether I will like this keyboard. It could be my final Topre "decider" keyboard. I had a Novatouch a few weeks ago but sent it back because the rattle-y ness and general lack of quality feel were a turnoff for me. This did not improve with thicker keycaps. I did not feel the oneness with cup rubber, then. Maybe I will this time. Or maybe I actually need to try a Type-S, as that is the best sounding Topre keyboard I have heard.

EDIT: Can someone tell me the weight of the package? If it's over 2KG I'm out, Switzerland is not in the EU so it would be 27€ just to ship it there. Literally any other country in Europe is 16€.

jou

25 Jun 2015, 19:51

Don't worry about the shipping. I have a shipping address in Germany which make both shipping cost for you much less and saves me customs charges.

Muirium
µ

25 Jun 2015, 21:41

sphinx wrote: I've received the Realforce! Its kinda weird, i'll post my impressions during the week.

also i never used anything that wasnt iso pt layout so that's also weird
This will be quite the learning experience then! You can set your computer to Portuguese when using an ANSI US keyboard like this. But it's down to you to remember where the keys should be. And there's one less key of course. Not a useful one in ISO UK, but the other ISO languages often need it more.

Return to “Try before you buy”