Recommend me a keyboard!

hrvoje

06 Jul 2015, 11:20

I tried your advice to put something between the keyboard and the desk, and I got fewer death threats from the significant other, but it's still loud as hell at 2 AM. I wonder if wrapping towels around *her* would be a cheaper solution. :)))

What would I need to do in order to use the AEK II on a modern computer? Put a new controller in or get an adapter? I know my way around a soldering iron, but I'd keep it simple if possible. :)

jou

06 Jul 2015, 12:58

You can build an adapter with a Teensy or a cheap Arduino Pro Micro clone and TMK firmware. The converter can be either put in an external box. If you don't have an ADB cable around, it uses the same connector as S-Video. Or you can put the converter inside the keyboard, there's plenty of space to fit one inside.

fohat
Elder Messenger

06 Jul 2015, 15:53

Muirium
µ

06 Jul 2015, 16:14

Yeah, it's doable. Don't know about other platforms, but a USB adapted AEK II works great on a modern Mac. So long as you like latching Caps Lock or don't mind attacking that switch…

Just don't expect to be wowed by its build quality compared to your Model M. The caps are nice though. If you can find one with a decent spacebar that is!

hrvoje

06 Jul 2015, 23:30

Now I'm seriously scared I'd like anything except the M, but I'll surely try. :) Are the SSK model M's maybe more quiet due to their size? How much do they cost on average? (and I don't mean the expensive industrial version). :)

And you got me seriously interested in Topre, I'll ask around the local IT stores if anybody has a Topre keyboard I could try (but seriously doubt it, gaming keyboards with cherry mx are basically everything you can find here. :)

This is a great forum btw!!

fohat
Elder Messenger

06 Jul 2015, 23:43

hrvoje wrote: Now I'm seriously scared I'd like anything except the M, but I'll surely try.
It is hard to appreciate plastic toys when you are accustomed to *the one true keyboard* and the vastly superior Model F is even louder.

You can stuff padding inside the case, raise the case off the desk with something resilient, and floss-mod the springs (the floss must be more than half the length of the spring or it won't work, but the difference between floss as long as the spring and a couple of millimeters less is subtle but noticeable).

Beyond that, my best (in my personal opinion) but quietest 2nd-tier keyboards are my Omnikey 101 with transplanted tactile Matias and my Dell AT101W with transplanted orange Alps. But those take time, money, and a soldering iron.

Muirium
µ

07 Jul 2015, 00:33

hrvoje wrote: Now I'm seriously scared I'd like anything except the M, but I'll surely try. :) Are the SSK model M's maybe more quiet due to their size? How much do they cost on average? (and I don't mean the expensive industrial version). :)
Nope, I love my SSKs but they're just as loud as a full size Model M. And they're generally quite expensive. I was just talking with someone about that today. SSKs are typically about the same price as a new Realforce! I'm glad I got mine for less. Luck, patience, and Cindy.
hrvoje wrote: And you got me seriously interested in Topre, I'll ask around the local IT stores if anybody has a Topre keyboard I could try (but seriously doubt it, gaming keyboards with cherry mx are basically everything you can find here. :)
There is in fact a tour for that:

http://deskthority.net/try-f29/the-real ... 10148.html

002's Realforce was my very first taste of Topre a couple of years ago. I got hooked.
hrvoje wrote: This is a great forum btw!!
Yeah, I really like what we have here too!

ShivaYash

09 Jul 2015, 14:43

hrvoje wrote: Thanks, it's a pleasure to be here! :)

Had to Google what TKL is, but yes - that form factor would be very desirable since I've never gotten used to numeric keypad.

Backlights ... I don't know what I'd do with a back-lit keyboard, seems like an unnecessary complication.

I used to own a Cherry G81 20 years ago, but frankly - I don't remember what it was like. From what I've read on Deskthority Wiki, MX Brown or Blue would be my number because it gives a good tactile feedback (which I *love* on the Model M). I'm still having difficulty figuring out what keyboard you need to own to be able to get different keycaps offered through the forum for customization, I especially liked the VIM key I saw recently. Cool! :)

What could I buy for not too much money? Used/via forum is OK by me. :)
I have a delightful Filco with Blues for sale... http://deskthority.net/for-sale-f55/fil ... 10939.html

Muirium
µ

09 Jul 2015, 15:32

So delightful you want shot of it now you've found browns? That's not exactly encouraging!

Disclaimer: I'm a Topre snob. But I got there by trying, and loathing, MX.

ShivaYash

09 Jul 2015, 15:34

Subjective old boy. We all start our journey somewhere, if you don't know what white is, how can you know black... Typed on my touchscreen. I too am a massive snob but will keep one brown board in my life, for the Mrs.

Muirium
µ

09 Jul 2015, 15:52

Aye, the whole keyboard thing is most subjective indeed.

Blues can be fun, specially if you like the sound of rice crispies while you work. But they're hardly either a quiet alternative to Model M, or a peer for it in feel. They're fun for playing with dolls caps, rather, (and I'm not beyond doing that myself!) but they're a frivolous switch once you're used to IBM. For me, certainly.

ShivaYash

09 Jul 2015, 16:02

Indeed. However would I have understood the beauty that is IBM, without the journey. I think not. Browns were my first switch and hence hold a special place in my heart. Colleagues often try my HHKB and don't get it, in terms of the switch. It's like a pair of shoes... My other passion. It takes time to get to know the leather and understand it, how it will age and crease. Whilst keyboards don't age, it does take time to understand what you like and what suits you. Having a Cherry blue in your starting arsenal is no bad thing. Topre isn't the best starting switch I feel.

Muirium
µ

09 Jul 2015, 16:14

The OP has a Model M, so we're not dealing with a tabula rasa. In fact, we've quite a challenge on our hands!

I was the same way. My first mech was a Model F. That meant my first experience with MX in a finished keyboard was full of disappointment. All the more frustrating because I'd built the board myself! MX green felt fine in the hand to me, but actually typing on them was just no comparison to my IBM XT. I learned my lesson: try before you build!

My next MX experience was with MX red when I won a keyboard in Ducky Nordic's contest. Red worked a lot better for me. Still far from perfect, but linear MX is at least true to itself. With the fake plastic bump mechanism out of the way, I quite liked that light and scratchy switch! Not that I could be bothered tearing the board apart to lube them and all the rest. Then someone made me an offer out of the blue and I sold the keyboard to them gladly. I used to money towards my first SSK.

My goodness, what an improvement! Lesson learned: listen to your fingers. No amount of rationalisation to yourself can make a bad switch good. Find what you like and embrace it. For me that's IBM for the loud stuff and Topre for the quiet.

My Topre journey started with 002's touring Realforce. That was a significant eye opener. I suspected I'd like it a lot. But when I actually tried Topre, I fell for it for different reasons. The wonderful caps, the subtle design, the solid construction without a hint of gamer childishness about it. And, oh, of course, the feel.

So I bought an HHKB Type S and never looked back. Well, besides for snagging more IBMs! Damped Topre is my favourite version, I even used it at night in hospital the other week without as much as a glance from the staff or a missed snore from the patients! It's a marvel.

MX… if they were alone in the world, perhaps. But, for joy, they are not!

Return to “Keyboards”