Unicomp - Keyboards with all-white keys

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

09 Jul 2015, 19:23

But you don't know the Unicomp SSK is dead for sure right?

Muirium
µ

09 Jul 2015, 19:37

No, I don't have direct primary evidence. But I can infer it from multiple secondary sources that I've heard and the production difficulties we've seen on their regular stuff. I wouldn't rule it out entirely, Unicomp can be a little crazy, but it's not looking good.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

09 Jul 2015, 19:42

I believe that. Unfortunately.

bhtooefr

09 Jul 2015, 19:46

The other thing is that we're not Unicomp's customer base.

Unicomp's customer base has old IBM equipment that requires weird keyboards that are unique to it, and for whatever reason, they've not been able to migrate off of that equipment. It's all service contracts for that, as I understand, that they service, and that's a market that simply doesn't care at this point, as long as stuff works.

zts

09 Jul 2015, 20:24

^ I'm afraid you may be right. Intuitively, I've been stocking up on a few complete keycap sets since early June ... just in case ... :lol:

romevi

09 Jul 2015, 22:28

Well, they did update on their TKL announcement in February of this year, and that's a little under a year from their initial announcement in April of last year. I'm still hoping for a TKL version, though they've got that weird 75%-ish layout.

I had no idea the black blanks no longer were in stock. I got my Spacesaver back in 2009 and ordered a set of black blanks for $20. I found out last week, when browsing their site, that they altered the bottom row of their keyboards, so now any full set of caps I order won't fit mine. I really wanted those sweet brilliant white caps, but alas the spacebar and Alt and Win keys won't fit right.

zts

10 Jul 2015, 10:52

romevi wrote: ... I had no idea the black blanks no longer were in stock. I got my Spacesaver back in 2009 and ordered a set of black blanks for $20. I found out last week, when browsing their site, that they altered the bottom row of their keyboards, so now any full set of caps I order won't fit mine. I really wanted those sweet brilliant white caps, but alas the spacebar and Alt and Win keys won't fit right.
Sometimes ... or most of the time, they don't have everything listed on the website. Give them a call and see. There are some very friendly people there that will help you if they can.

romevi

10 Jul 2015, 14:51

zts wrote:
romevi wrote: ... I had no idea the black blanks no longer were in stock. I got my Spacesaver back in 2009 and ordered a set of black blanks for $20. I found out last week, when browsing their site, that they altered the bottom row of their keyboards, so now any full set of caps I order won't fit mine. I really wanted those sweet brilliant white caps, but alas the spacebar and Alt and Win keys won't fit right.
Sometimes ... or most of the time, they don't have everything listed on the website. Give them a call and see. There are some very friendly people there that will help you if they can.
I did, and while they said they have some older spacebars in stock none were in brilliant white. :(

Return to “News”