Universal Model M Controller

CommonCurt

05 Jul 2015, 07:15

Very cool man :)

chzel

05 Jul 2015, 21:37

I got mine on Friday, and installed yesterday, and worked fine, Numpad layer and all, but as of tonight, after a restart, I get a msg "USB device not recognized" under Win7 64-bit and of course it doesn't work.
I tried restarting the PC and changing USB ports, but no luck.
Anyone got any idea before I start poking around more?

phosphorglow

05 Jul 2015, 23:22

Hrmm...

Well, either I did something wrong or Windows is doing what it likes to do best - mess with me. :P

You wouldn't by chance have another machine running Linux hanging around would you?

The thing that I find peculiar is that it stopped working after a restart, which makes me think a driver got installed/configured during the next boot. I've found that the front panel USB port on my machine gets "stuck" sometimes and I have to turn off the computer and pull the power cord and press the power button, then plug it back in and power it up.

Have you tried plugging it back in after the system has booted up?

phosphorglow

05 Jul 2015, 23:46

Even another machine running Windows would be a pretty good indicator as to it being a problem with the board or the OS, though for kicks and grins I'd also be curious about using a different USB cable (doubt it, but worth a try).

If it's the board I'll send you another one!

chzel

05 Jul 2015, 23:51

I'm leaning towards windows/driver stupidity too...I usually put the PC to sleep instead of power off so it could indeed be a conflict.
I did try to plug it after the system comes up, but no luck.
I haven't tried a full power cycle (cord unplugged etc) yet.
I'll try it tomorrow on the Raspberry with Raspbian.
Also I'll try it on an XP box I have.
I did try another cable.
Right now I'm half asleep...I rode 790km today...
More testing tomorrow!
Thanks!

phosphorglow

05 Jul 2015, 23:57

Oof! That's a long day of driving!

Looking forward to seeing the results of the other tests. We'll get it worked out one way or another. :)

phosphorglow

05 Jul 2015, 23:57

(Side note/update: typing over bluetooth at the moment. SSK with mouse keys makes a great lap board. I plan on testing it throughout the week to make sure nothing is finicky, but so far so good!)

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

06 Jul 2015, 00:14

chzel said "rode". Motorcycle, bicycle, what?

phosphorglow

06 Jul 2015, 00:15

I just caught that as well and was wondering... 790km on a bicycle would be one incredible feat!!!

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

06 Jul 2015, 00:24

790km is less than the 24 hour record for a bicycle, recently set by Christoph Strasser. (Father-in-law is a RAAM finisher so we hear about ultracycling news.)

I'm guessing motorcycle. I also hope I'm wrong!

chzel

06 Jul 2015, 05:54

On a motorcycle guys!
Don't expect any superhuman feats from me!

Muirium
µ

06 Jul 2015, 10:53

Chzel's on the run!
phosphorglow wrote: (Side note/update: typing over bluetooth at the moment. SSK with mouse keys makes a great lap board. I plan on testing it throughout the week to make sure nothing is finicky, but so far so good!)
<Squeals with glee.>

andrewjoy

06 Jul 2015, 10:54

Looking forward to the bluetooth :)

Khers

06 Jul 2015, 11:31

Wonderfully wireless! Really looking forward to having some BT in my SSK!

andrewjoy

06 Jul 2015, 11:46

Well its useful for using a TV or something far away , don't know why you would ever use it on a desktop :)

chzel

06 Jul 2015, 12:38

To type an sms with style?

Khers

06 Jul 2015, 13:03

On desktop, no. On laptop with not so many USB-ports (such as a mac), there is definitely an interest in wireless...

Muirium
µ

06 Jul 2015, 13:11

Hey, I'd use it on my desktop. Fucking wires, they're never symmetrical. Never perfectly!

andrewjoy

06 Jul 2015, 13:14

I admit they can be a bit annoying sometimes.

But thats why i have a desk the same colour as the cables :P

Muirium
µ

06 Jul 2015, 13:19

Ah, we'll be OCD brothers yet!

Also, I love typing on my lap in a lounge chair. Wireless really helps when I do that. The number of times I've tugged my laptop around accidentally…

chzel

06 Jul 2015, 20:31

Quick update, doesn't work on the Pi, no response. If anyone has anything to suggest command wise, feel free! Total linux noob here!
Didn't get a chance to check on the XP machine, but I doubt it will work.
Maybe I could try to reflash?

Muirium
µ

06 Jul 2015, 22:29

Bugger. Hopefully Phosphor's got just the instructions you need to try just that.

My SSK with this controller did flip out a bit a few days ago. I just woke up the Mac Pro with it, like usual, and the board was nowhere to be seen. Did a sleep/wake cycle and no dice. Unplugging the board did the trick though. Not sure whether it was the controller or my admittedly hacked Mac Pro's fault. I do get weirdness like this sometimes from modern USB native boards too.

phosphorglow

06 Jul 2015, 23:02

Okie dokie. I'll be home in a few hours and I'll help out some more. In the meanwhile, can you verify you're getting 5v on Vcc, and something along the lines of 3.2V on the positive side of C2?

I'm wondering if the sleep/wake weirdness is firmware related? Muirium - do you have Soarer's Controller firmware on another board as well? Curiosity has a hold of me... :P

Anyone else run into weird quirks as well? There are about 25 of these in the wild and I'd like to know what they're up to!

chzel

06 Jul 2015, 23:16

Voltages nominal, 4.93V Vcc and 3.24V on C2.

Edit:Upon reset the DFU shows up trying to install, so it must be firmware related.

phosphorglow

06 Jul 2015, 23:34

Yay! That's good news! Erase and flash it with this hex and let me know what happens!

Muirium
µ

06 Jul 2015, 23:52

phosphorglow wrote: I'm wondering if the sleep/wake weirdness is firmware related? Muirium - do you have Soarer's Controller firmware on another board as well? Curiosity has a hold of me... :P

Anyone else run into weird quirks as well? There are about 25 of these in the wild and I'd like to know what they're up to!
Ooh, didn't realise you already had so many out there!

I have mine running Soarer's controller, of course, which I'm used to using on my homemade 60%. I'll see about hooking both of them up to the Mac Pro and watching for weirdness. To be fair, your controller's been good and solid besides that glitch, which may not be its fault anyway. I've used that SSK loads lately!

chzel

07 Jul 2015, 00:01

It is alive again!!!!!!!!!
Erased and reflashed, and works fine!
If it reoccurs I'll try to get more details!
Thanks Phosphorglow!

phosphorglow

10 Jul 2015, 06:03

Wonderful wonderfulness! Glad it's happily running again. That hex is TMK, by the way. I still need to tidy up my TMK folder and upload it.
Muirium wrote: Ooh, didn't realise you already had so many out there!

I have mine running Soarer's controller, of course, which I'm used to using on my homemade 60%. I'll see about hooking both of them up to the Mac Pro and watching for weirdness. To be fair, your controller's been good and solid besides that glitch, which may not be its fault anyway. I've used that SSK loads lately!
Glad to hear! I'm interested to see what happens. Yeah, there's a few roaming around the world now which is pretty neat. :D

phosphorglow

10 Jul 2015, 06:28

Here's a video update/excuse to play with a GoPro that I borrowed. I had to re-do this because I accidentally deleted the first file before it was done uploading, and since I was frustrated I accidentally hit crtl/alt/backspace which kills the X server... Amusing after the fact. Volume is low since the GoPro is in an enclosed case.
(Also forgot to mention that I've tested it from about 20' away with good results. And forgot that I need to change the design for the next round of sub-boards to move the through-holes for the JST battery connector so it doesn't interfere with the mounting stud, eliminating the jumper wire coming off of it.)

Picture of the battery charged indicator:
2015-07-09 21.49.07.jpg
2015-07-09 21.49.07.jpg (36.63 KiB) Viewed 5272 times

andrewjoy

10 Jul 2015, 09:51

looking good . Will you be selling it as an add-on and can we supply a larger battery if we want to ?

Return to “Workshop”