Community interview with Professor Eiiti Wada

livingspeedbump
Not what they seem

31 Jul 2015, 09:21

Hey guys,

I am honored to be able to tell you that Professor Eiiti Wada, "Japan's first hacker" and creator of the HHKB has agreed to do a community wide interview!

Question Poll here:
https://www.massdrop.com/vote/What-woul ... f-the-HHKB

It is a huge privilege to be able to talk to Professor Eiiti Wada, and all I'd ask is that the conversation stay respectful and relevant.

So please just ask what questions you may have here :)

Due to the fact that I do not want anyone to have to sign up for Massdrop to read the poll questions I will try to update them here for you as well. When the interview is finished I will try to ask a few extra DT posed questions and email Muirium and allow him to post the full thing here for you all to read as a way to try to respect DT as a forum.

Current Qustions (will update as needed):
  • 1. What is the role of the Macintosh keyboard as the HHKB's inspiration
    2. What is the best position and format for an arrow cluster on a secondary layer?
    3. What were features on keyboards that existed at the time you created the HHKB that you disliked, thus driving you to create your own keyboard?
    4. What do you think of the communities attempts at 60% keyboards (will include album), especially with the emphasis that many have on features founded by the HHKB?
    5. Are you still using an HHKB today? If so what variant?
    6. Who's idea was it to use Topre switches in the HHKB, seeing as the original had Fujitsu dome?
    7. What influences, if any, did you have while creating the HHKB's layout?
    8. What is your computer setup? (will ask for pictures)
    9. Were you influenced by the Tron initiative? Can you tell us any details about the Tron initiative?
    10. What are your thoughts on the variants of the HHKB? (JP, Type-S, Standard)
Last edited by livingspeedbump on 03 Aug 2015, 16:34, edited 3 times in total.

Topre Enthusiast

31 Jul 2015, 09:35

Nice one!
I would like to know his thoughts on the Japanese layout HHKB. I'd also like to know if he has any input or opinion on the move to Topre switches from the original HHKB or if that was purely PFU's decision.

livingspeedbump
Not what they seem

31 Jul 2015, 09:43

Ah, very good question 002! I will make sure to add that to the poll in the AM!

I will be getting a brief history of its entire life cycle up to this point, so hopefully that will cover the question about Topre. Matt3o asked the same question I believe :)

KRKS

31 Jul 2015, 13:07

That is the best thing...
Massdrop

Muirium
µ

31 Jul 2015, 15:38

Yeah. Just post your questions here instead! (I'm still not registered at MassDrop and have no plans to be. It's a good trick to keep me out of getting regularly hurt as a foreign customer.) The interview isn't an automated process. Livingspeedbump is asking the questions, and we're providing input for him, not a machine.

Anyway, here's some ideas I discussed with him in PM:
I can think of several questions for the Professor off the top of my head, sitting here typing on one of his boards no less.

One is about the rôle of the original Macintosh keyboard as the HHKB's inspiration.

Another is what he reckons is the best position and format for an arrow cluster on a secondary layer (I'll need to write that better!), as I've heard the HHKB originally had no navigation layer, which I find odd and doubt actually.

I'd like to ask if the Professor was still involved when the HHKB transitioned to Topre switches with the HHKB Pro. I do think the fact the HHKB is a spectacular layout *and* on some of the best switches in world, that makes it the all round stellar package that it is.

I'd also like to know what he makes of the community's attempts at 60% keyboards (we would need to show him a gallery I think) especially with the emphasis many of us have in running with all of his ideas!
I suspect like 002, I'd really like to know what he thinks is the supreme version of the HHKB, truest to his concept. What does he think of Topre switches? What does he make of the fact so many HHKB fans are obsessed with them!

If he does like Topre switches, does he prefer Type-S?

And the ultimate question: how does like like his HHKB: legends or no legends? Black or white?

There's several design themes we could talk about. Big ones include:

The evolution of compact layout keyboards. Where did the 60% come from? What inspired the HHKB?

The evolution of navigation keys. Separate cluster. as is popular beyond 60%s, vs. HJKL in vi, vs. the diamond layout on the HHKB.

The useability of layers. The prime stumbling block many people have to using the HHKB. But yet its best feature for those of us who the love the little board.

The evolution of the HHKB itself. The switch to Topre, and the other siblings to the classic HHKB, including whatever he thinks about the HHKB JP!

There's so much to talk about! Amazing opportunity you've opened up for us here, Livingspeedbump! Really looking forward to working out the final question list and of course the interview itself.

webwit
Wild Duck

31 Jul 2015, 16:55

Massdrop is a commercial entity with a registration wall and illegal terms of service. How are they part of the keyboard community?

Muirium
µ

31 Jul 2015, 17:01

webwit wrote: Massdrop is a commercial entity with a registration wall and illegal terms of service. How are they part of the keyboard community?
Indeed. I think he's overly concerned with not getting GH, Reddit's or indeed our knickers in a twist by doing things at what's supposedly a neutral place. But fortunately the only thing that really counts is the Wada interview itself. Post your questions here.

livingspeedbump
Not what they seem

31 Jul 2015, 18:04

Muirium wrote:
webwit wrote: Massdrop is a commercial entity with a registration wall and illegal terms of service. How are they part of the keyboard community?
Indeed. I think he's overly concerned with not getting GH, Reddit's or indeed our knickers in a twist by doing things at what's supposedly a neutral place. But fortunately the only thing that really counts is the Wada interview itself. Post your questions here.
Despite the company's shortfalls, the people that work there are just as much community members are anyone here. I also know that while they may be restricted by the company they work for, they indeed care and try very hard to provide good items for the community. But I don't care about Massdrop opinions in this case, even though I can understand where both of you are coming from.

But yes, this should be about questions as you said.Thanks! We all just genuinely love the HHKB are are pleased he will be talking to us. We have also gotten Hasu on board to translate, I feel like it may help the professor be more comfortable if allowed to answer in his native tongue. So that is good.

Muirium
µ

31 Jul 2015, 18:11

Yup.

I've actually visited MassDrop HQ talked to some of the guys there in person. They're good people. But as you say the commercial prerogative of their company gets in the way at times. That's why I like doing everything old school, out on a forum.

livingspeedbump
Not what they seem

31 Jul 2015, 18:27

Muirium wrote: Yup.

I've actually visited MassDrop HQ talked to some of the guys there in person. They're good people. But as you say the commercial prerogative of their company gets in the way at times. That's why I like doing everything old school, out on a forum.
Definitely understand and can't argue there. I essentially told ZealPC that exact same thing the other day, about how I was extremely glad to hear he was handling his new switches on his own when someone else asked about having them on MD. Forum run GB's are still my favorite to participate in as well. The journey from [IC] to [GB] to doorstep is also half the fun.

And agreed, on a personal level the small team there that deals with keyboards are some of the nicest people I get to interact with.

livingspeedbump
Not what they seem

31 Jul 2015, 18:35

Muirium wrote: Yeah. Just post your questions here instead! (I'm still not registered at MassDrop and have no plans to be. It's a good trick to keep me out of getting regularly hurt as a foreign customer.) The interview isn't an automated process. Livingspeedbump is asking the questions, and we're providing input for him, not a machine.

Anyway, here's some ideas I discussed with him in PM:
I can think of several questions for the Professor off the top of my head, sitting here typing on one of his boards no less.

One is about the rôle of the original Macintosh keyboard as the HHKB's inspiration.

Another is what he reckons is the best position and format for an arrow cluster on a secondary layer (I'll need to write that better!), as I've heard the HHKB originally had no navigation layer, which I find odd and doubt actually.

I'd like to ask if the Professor was still involved when the HHKB transitioned to Topre switches with the HHKB Pro. I do think the fact the HHKB is a spectacular layout *and* on some of the best switches in world, that makes it the all round stellar package that it is.

I'd also like to know what he makes of the community's attempts at 60% keyboards (we would need to show him a gallery I think) especially with the emphasis many of us have in running with all of his ideas!
I suspect like 002, I'd really like to know what he thinks is the supreme version of the HHKB, truest to his concept. What does he think of Topre switches? What does he make of the fact so many HHKB fans are obsessed with them!

If he does like Topre switches, does he prefer Type-S?

And the ultimate question: how does like like his HHKB: legends or no legends? Black or white?

There's several design themes we could talk about. Big ones include:

The evolution of compact layout keyboards. Where did the 60% come from? What inspired the HHKB?

The evolution of navigation keys. Separate cluster. as is popular beyond 60%s, vs. HJKL in vi, vs. the diamond layout on the HHKB.

The useability of layers. The prime stumbling block many people have to using the HHKB. But yet its best feature for those of us who the love the little board.

The evolution of the HHKB itself. The switch to Topre, and the other siblings to the classic HHKB, including whatever he thinks about the HHKB JP!

There's so much to talk about! Amazing opportunity you've opened up for us here, Livingspeedbump! Really looking forward to working out the final question list and of course the interview itself.
All extremely good questions. I will be asking him to give some kind of history on the HHKB, so hopefully a few answers to some of these questions come to light during that. I am adding the rest now to my list!

davkol

01 Aug 2015, 11:48

TBH many of the current questions sound (a) like preaching to the choir or (b) redundant, if we actually had access to a translation of Wada's papers.

I'm more interested in his background in regards to Japanese computing history. There's a question about TRON keyboards, and I'd expand it the whole initiative (and perhaps why it didn't catch on in the long-term). They had an OS, an encoding… ergonomic keyboards and an input method (with a DSK-like layout). Speaking of that, the microTron…

webwit
Wild Duck

01 Aug 2015, 12:27

Massdrop are not nice people. It's a nasty company. I know this because I actually read their terms of service. If you do the following as a company, you are a nasty company which should die a horrible death. It's plainly illegal in Europe.
You acknowledge and agree that Massdrop may, in its sole discretion, modify, add or remove any portion of these Terms of Service at any time and in any manner, including the terms of Massdrop membership, by posting revised Terms of Service on the Site. You may not amend or modify these Terms of Service under any circumstances. The current version of these Terms of Service is available at http://www.massdrop.com/terms-of-service. It is your responsibility to check periodically for any changes we make to the Terms of Service. Your continued use of this Site after any changes to the Terms of Service means you accept the changes.

Muirium
µ

01 Aug 2015, 12:38

Correct. I don't like MassDrop the firm, which is why I don't sign up. But there's no good in attacking its workers. People keep their brains and personalities when they work for a company. We haven't reached quite that point in corporate evolution yet!

webwit
Wild Duck

01 Aug 2015, 15:30

That doesn't make sense. One could work for a company which kills puppies, and not be held accountable.

Muirium
µ

01 Aug 2015, 15:59

Are you killing puppies, or are you just counting furry little bodies?

Uh, nice metaphor. Anyway, do you personally feel responsible for all that evil shit you believe the Dutch royal family is waist deep in, because you pay taxes? Clearly you should leave the vile entity that is the criminal state of the Netherlands! Take a stand man!

Meanwhile, cuckoo.

livingspeedbump
Not what they seem

01 Aug 2015, 16:02

davkol wrote: TBH many of the current questions sound (a) like preaching to the choir or (b) redundant, if we actually had access to a translation of Wada's papers.

I'm more interested in his background in regards to Japanese computing history. There's a question about TRON keyboards, and I'd expand it the whole initiative (and perhaps why it didn't catch on in the long-term). They had an OS, an encoding… ergonomic keyboards and an input method (with a DSK-like layout). Speaking of that, the microTron…
Well he will obviously answer questions along the way and I will make sure redundant or answered questions will be asked twice. I've also done a good bit of research on my own and can fill in certain answers myself (and source them, of course) , I will also be asking for more information such as some of his history and the history of the HHKB as well. Knowing more about the TRON keyboards and the whole initiative is definitely something I want to make sure is asked.

cswanic

01 Aug 2015, 17:31

I think a nod to the community forums with a simple question in regards to all of them. Perhaps:
With respect to the many online keyboard enthusiast forums, where are your thoughts on where the trends have gone? Thinking ahead, do you share the same direction with the HHKB?

With all respect to the OP, and in light of his previous admission on a past IC, in consideration of the neutrality of this forum, in light of his possibly implied connections in the first post, and with the utmost consideration to the spirit of the great Deskthority forum, I humbly make a suggestion. 1. Allow the forum to be used as a forum and collect the questions as provided by the humble members of the Deskthority community. 2. Remove the link to the massdrop poll.

"Deskthority is an official club which is run democratically by club members, not by private owners. The community which forms deskthority runs and owns it, and club members pay a small, yearly contribution to cover our hosting and other costs. "

livingspeedbump
Not what they seem

02 Aug 2015, 01:17

edited OP.
Last edited by livingspeedbump on 02 Aug 2015, 01:20, edited 1 time in total.

livingspeedbump
Not what they seem

02 Aug 2015, 16:04

cswanic wrote: I think a nod to the community forums with a simple question in regards to all of them. Perhaps:
With respect to the many online keyboard enthusiast forums, where are your thoughts on where the trends have gone? Thinking ahead, do you share the same direction with the HHKB?

With all respect to the OP, and in light of his previous admission on a past IC, in consideration of the neutrality of this forum, in light of his possibly implied connections in the first post, and with the utmost consideration to the spirit of the great Deskthority forum, I humbly make a suggestion. 1. Allow the forum to be used as a forum and collect the questions as provided by the humble members of the Deskthority community. 2. Remove the link to the massdrop poll.

"Deskthority is an official club which is run democratically by club members, not by private owners. The community which forms deskthority runs and owns it, and club members pay a small, yearly contribution to cover our hosting and other costs. "
I did think about it taking the link away for you, and I am trying very hard to help make everyone happy. Fact is Kunal at MD is the one that made contact, and we definitely worked as a team to get the interview, and as it will be published there you'll have to read it there anyways. I am sorry if MD is not up to certain standards here, but I want to give credit where credit is due. Besides, checking the link to see what else is being asked from other communities will help questions not be repeated and so forth.

I very much appreciate the questions and will add them. The trend one is definitely something I can see him having some good insight on. I can tell you he is not currently developing keyboards or the HHKB any longer, PFU is in full control of the HHKB, so future direction of the HHKB itself won't be something I can see him commenting on.

Muirium
µ

02 Aug 2015, 16:06

livingspeedbump wrote: it will be published there you'll have to read it there anyways.
Without accounts, right? Because I'd like to actually be able to read it too.

livingspeedbump
Not what they seem

02 Aug 2015, 16:10

Absolutely. I will make sure nobody has to sign up for anything to read the interview, I do not agree with that type of thing, this is for all to see. I will have a copy of it posted on KC as well :)

webwit
Wild Duck

02 Aug 2015, 17:02

Wada deserves better than be used in a MD promotion. DT too.

Muirium
µ

02 Aug 2015, 17:54

Every time MassDrop comes up, anywhere on DT, things turn poisonous. Good luck with that kind of promotion!

Anyway, thanks for ensuring the interview won't be published behind a wall. I'd be in a flap about that too. I never register for sites that hide their content. Doesn't fit the culture of the web. And often indicates the kind of attitude behind the scenes that I don't want to waste my time with.

livingspeedbump
Not what they seem

02 Aug 2015, 19:37

I don't blame you one bit. I wouldn't have agreed to it if this was going to be used as some ploy to get new people to sign up, because that isn't what this is about. I also respect the fact that there is no drop or sale of any kind associated with this drop, again, that would have been a deal breaker for me.

I won't argue with peoples opinion on that subject, everyone is entitled to have their own opinion. I make my own judgments based on my own experiences, not what internet people tell me to think. I can both appreciate other peoples opinions, even if I don't personally agree with them. So as sorry as I am that MD is a sore subject here, would it have just been better not to include DT at all in the "community" in terms of the scale of this interview? If all it does is cause problems I surely won't post anything of that nature here again.

As a Finn, my ideal day means sitting around in a sauna, taking a long walk in the woods, and not talking to anyone, at all. When I do have to talk to others I always make sure I'm as kind as possible though.

Muirium
µ

02 Aug 2015, 21:54

To be honest, it does strike me as odd that MassDrop's involved in this at all. Are they buying the good professor a handsome lunch to compensate for his time? There's no product involved. We're talking about text… composing questions and of course posting the interview when it's done. The web is fairly good at that.

I'm not anti-MassDrop the way Webwit is. (Most of the time I jump into threads where they come up, I'm warning about European shipping and import taxes. Something MassDrop is quite uninterested in making easy for us over here, as a typical US centred company.) I just don't get why this is spiralling into apparent complexity.

livingspeedbump
Not what they seem

02 Aug 2015, 22:22

Best I can guess is that it will just be a fun article to have up as the featured article to replace the current article on keyboard programming that has been up the past few months by HaaTa.

And again, this is not me working with Massdrop, this is me working with a friend that is also a huge HHKB fan and just happens to work as Massdrop. And I saw why not publish it there too? A lot of MD shoppers are very casual users that probably aren't even aware keyboard forums even exist, why not give them a taste of the enthusiast side of things?

And confirming that no money at all is being exchanged in this entire process. Not to me, not to MD, not to the professor. This started out as two friends getting the chance to talk to a brilliant man, nothing more :) Is the outcome a bit of a clustercuss? Sure. But there wasn't many ways around that, and trying to get everyone in the community involved without favoring anyone was already going to be basically impossible. We are trying the best we can though.

livingspeedbump
Not what they seem

02 Aug 2015, 22:27

webwit wrote: Wada deserves better than be used in a MD promotion. DT too.
If you would like to delete this thread that is fine with me.

webwit
Wild Duck

02 Aug 2015, 23:50

We don't do that over here. ;)
Also I was just voicing my personal opinion about md's involvement, not deskthority's opinion, if there is such a thing.

cswanic

03 Aug 2015, 00:20

livingspeedbump wrote: Absolutely. I will make sure nobody has to sign up for anything to read the interview, I do not agree with that type of thing, this is for all to see. I will have a copy of it posted on KC as well :)
You can't see the questions without first registering with their site. Not sure where you are getting your assurance from. Also, not going to feed this issue either. So I guess the decision to support Professor Eiiti Wada's contributions also requires us to reserve our misgivings with Massdrop. I like what you are trying to do in all our community forums, so I won't disagree with your passion, but the hobbyist loyalty to DeskThority (geekhack, reddit among others) is agnostic to the direction of Kunal, Alex, Will at that site, or any of us for that matter.

Spend some time on these sites to get to know the community members. There are loyal members who serve the community well and not so loyal members (not referring to anyone at all) that misuse the community's members in undeserving ways. If you keep a "Wiki" of sorts available at the beginning of the post that lists your collected questions, same as you are doing, I'm guessing, with Massdrop you'll get better results and more community involvement perhaps, that is all.

Return to “News”