Sourcing Cherry MX RGB Switches?

ElectroPulse

14 Sep 2015, 09:26

Hello, all!

I've read around online about these Cherry MX RGB switches (deskthority.net/posting.php?mode=post&f=7), that are essentially switches with clear housings and lenses for SMD LEDs to shine through. Most of the information I am seeing about them are from last year, stating that Corsair owns exclusive rights to them until the end of 2014.

Fast forward to now, and I'm not seeing them available anywhere... Any idea what happened? Did Corsair renew their exclusive rights to these switches? If not, any ideas of where they can be sourced? (short of buying a keyboard and desoldering them)

Thanks!
ElectroPulse

hypkx
Chasing the Dream

14 Sep 2015, 09:32

They are avaible at taobao, but I can't find the link now, it was posted some days ago.

tofagerl

14 Sep 2015, 10:00

ElectroPulse

15 Sep 2015, 08:46

Thank you for the replies!

Any way to verify that a specific seller is selling legit Cherry MX switches, and not clones? Or is there a known-legit seller?

hypkx
Chasing the Dream

15 Sep 2015, 13:42

Btw there is a poll with many voters at massdrop, but it seems it will never goes outside this phase

Muirium
µ

15 Sep 2015, 14:51

Because Cherry won't sell them.

MassDrop requires a higher voting threshold before they will authorise a raid!

andrewjoy

15 Sep 2015, 15:37

So has someone contacted cherry and asked them ? Do they even sell MX to the public ?

Muirium
µ

15 Sep 2015, 16:01

They sell MX via some guy that 7bit meets from time to time in a multi story car park. But even he can't sell the stuff they're under exclusive contract for. Specifically: shitty RGB switches, and the much more interesting new damped ones announced some time ago.

hypkx
Chasing the Dream

15 Sep 2015, 16:15

I dont think RGB switches are shitty. Exclusive partnerships with companys like Corsair are shitty and I think the new dampened ones will have the same future :(

Muirium
µ

15 Sep 2015, 16:22

It's so obvious they will be an exclusive, and surely to the same shitty guys, that Cherry was quite right not to even bother mentioning it.

The shitty thing about RGB switches is the whole concept of LED backlighting. You get shit caps, and they're unevenly lit. Flat non-mech chiclet boards do a better job of backlighting than any mechanical:

Pretty shitty state of affairs!

CRi

30 Sep 2015, 12:34

I ordered a few from this seller on taobao and I received them just now. I'm amazed they arrived that fast :shock:

Sorry for the potato pics, I'm at work and can't do better... I can take better ones this evening if you want !
cherry-mx-rgb-01.jpg
cherry-mx-rgb-01.jpg (281.12 KiB) Viewed 3206 times
cherry-mx-rgb-02.jpg
cherry-mx-rgb-02.jpg (321.56 KiB) Viewed 3206 times

Return to “Workshop”