heretofore undocumented Visual terminal board with SKCL browns

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

25 Sep 2015, 09:39

Visual terminal keyboard. no label on the back and so far no discernable model information other than MADE IN KOREA molded into the bottom case. I think there's a terminal that goes with it so I'm gonna check that out and post more information when I have some time.
Doubleshot keys, brown SKCL switches. Compose key!! A little scratchy but not too bad. I cleaned most of the real nasty crap off of it but it could do with a real scrubdown.

Chyros

25 Sep 2015, 09:51

Wooo, SKCL Browns. You don't hear about them very often. Does it have the Alps switchplate? Should be genuine Alps if so.

Also, what's the keyfeel like? Anything like Greens?

Nice board :) .

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

25 Sep 2015, 09:54

Chyros wrote: Wooo, SKCL Browns. You don't hear about them very often. Does it have the Alps switchplate? Should be genuine Alps if so.

Also, what's the keyfeel like? Anything like Greens?

Nice board :) .
I have never used green Alps :(

I will open it up sometime today when i have a bit more time -- salvaged this on the way to my office (cleaning crew is clearing out old offices in my building and i snuck into their storage room for this guy :evilgeek: )

andrewjoy

25 Sep 2015, 10:38

Looks nice , would love to give some of the stranger alps a go, the layout looks like the keyboard that came with my wise terminal

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

25 Sep 2015, 10:55

No Alps branding whatsoever :| has a nice little speaker though!

Chyros

25 Sep 2015, 11:11

That's a speaker? Oo does it do anything? Also, lots of diodes; does it have NKRO then?

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

25 Sep 2015, 11:14

i dont have any way to test it right now. i think it's a terminal buzzer!

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

25 Sep 2015, 11:20

ooh, looky here! it's alps all right :)

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

26 Sep 2015, 05:11

O.o Linear brown! How is the switch feel? I am very curious. I have tactile alps, which is like topre but not with domes.

A little too heavy for me however. But these browns are very intriguing do tell.

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

26 Sep 2015, 11:30

well i haven't had the chance to try any other linear alps and this is a terminal board, so i haven't been able to plug it in and actually use it, but i gotta say -- for linears, they feel pretty good! since they're complicated they are pretty non-wobbly. i dont really think this board is anything special, i might use (maybe mod them with a tactile leaf) the switches for another project (or try to trade them for something tactile :D ).

kps

26 Sep 2015, 17:06

sth wrote: Compose key!!
DEC LK201-style layout, but better.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

26 Sep 2015, 17:16

Very nice sth! That's a rare one. SKCL Brown is one switch that I am missing in my Alps collection. I'm sure these are as nice as Alps SKCL Green. Definitely worth cleaning. Sweet. ;)

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

26 Sep 2015, 20:02

sth wrote: well i haven't had the chance to try any other linear alps and this is a terminal board, so i haven't been able to plug it in and actually use it, but i gotta say -- for linears, they feel pretty good! since they're complicated they are pretty non-wobbly. i dont really think this board is anything special, i might use (maybe mod them with a tactile leaf) the switches for another project (or try to trade them for something tactile :D ).
I wouldn't mod these switches, a little too rare for that in my opinion.

Save the mods for black and white alps + matias switches. These should not be compromised. :)

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

28 Sep 2015, 10:11

hmm. well since i have no intention of using this board as is, will the DT Alps police arrest me for desoldering the switches for use in my own project? :twisted:

andrewjoy

28 Sep 2015, 11:04

If you do that the alps police will come and get you, but if you sell me the caps at a reasonable price i will get rid of the police for you.

Chyros

28 Sep 2015, 12:50

Yeah if you do have to desolder them I'd love one if you've got one left :) . I'm quite interested in these!

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

28 Sep 2015, 13:05

if i do desolder, it will be for a 60% board, so i will definitely have extras to go around. but still i might be interested in trading most of them for another rare but tactile Alps switch :)

andrewjoy

28 Sep 2015, 13:07

I have 1 tactile none click white alps ! I made it by putting far too much lub on it :P. I would be up for a few browns if you do have leftovers , would make nice modifiers for when i finally one day i get an ANSI SGI granite with dyesubs :)

seebart

28 Sep 2015, 13:10

I am the DT Alps police, no desoldering on this one sth! :D

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

28 Sep 2015, 13:11

seebart, got anything good to trade??? :D

seebart

28 Sep 2015, 13:13

Sure, what you looking for?

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

28 Sep 2015, 13:34

something tactile and complicated! clicky could do as well but i don't like switches that make sounds apart from their integral operation :P

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

28 Sep 2015, 18:30

complicated tactile browns (the ones with the extra dummy leaves, not the newer tactile leaves) are interesting :geek:
so are amber alps.

Ander

03 Oct 2015, 11:58

I love the "Do" key. It's like you could type anything, then press "Do", and that thing would automatically be done.

Mattr567

11 Oct 2015, 04:40

Guess its time the wiki page gets updated http://deskthority.net/wiki/Alps_SKCL_Brown

Whats the weight of the switch?

Return to “Gallery”