Nintendo Famicom Family Basic Keyboard - What's it like?

wyatt8740

30 Sep 2015, 06:11

Hi, I'm considering buying a Famicom BASIC keyboard. The Famicom was the Japanese version of the NES, and there was a special cartridge and peripheral you could use to write BASIC programs on your famicom. If you had the cassette deck you could even save your programs to it, in home computer style :)

My question is, does anyone here own one, has anyone here ever used one, and can anyone tell me what kinds of switches they use? Barring knowledge of the actual switch type, can anyone tell me what it feels like to type on one?

Thanks.
I own a famicom and am additionally thinking of trying to make a USB converter. But before I buy one I'd like to know what it feels like.

Topre Enthusiast

30 Sep 2015, 06:31

Although it's not noted on the wiki, I am pretty sure that the Famicom HVC-007 uses Mitsumi hybrid switches. You can read a bit more about them here: http://deskthority.net/wiki/Mitsumi_hybrid_switch

It's a cool looking keyboard but I think the Mitsumi hybrid is a bit of a 'meh' switch.

wyatt8740

30 Sep 2015, 06:51

what's 'meh' about it? how would it compare to, say, mitsumi mechanicals like the m0110/m0110a apple keyboards have?
My only other mitsumi switch experience is with miniature mechanicals found in the tandy 1400LT.

Are they linear switches?

If they were the same things used in the commodore 64/vic-20, I know exactly what I'm dealing with... that was a very meh switch for me. Is it like that?

Topre Enthusiast

30 Sep 2015, 06:58

Sorry, from my response it might not have been clear: I haven't actually used Mitsumi switches, but from what I've read, it seems that they are nothing to write home about.

I am not sure if the Famicom keyboard has the tactile or linear variant, but I found a video of Japanese keyboard collector, rzwv typing on one -- thing is I can't actually watch it right now as I'm at work and YouTube is blocked...hope it helps: www.youtube.com/watch?v=z42FPc3sA1w

romevi

30 Sep 2015, 07:50

If anyone has one, I'd love to find out more first-hand experience! I'm trying to recreate the set for a keyset IC, and I'm having a hard time recreating the legends. The hardest part is learning Inkscape, but I'm slowly learning and getting the hang of it.

terrycherry

30 Sep 2015, 09:15

It's linear but it seems like a variant of Mitsumi dome with spring. Not Mitsumi hybrid switch because the slider is the non-movable part of keycap. And the keycap is differ to Mitsumi hybrid switch.

The video article from here:
http://kbd.rzw.jp/mitsumi_/nintendo_fam ... #more-2813

Chyros

30 Sep 2015, 09:18

That video is rather loud for Mitsumi hybrids. Which is good because those are not very good; they're quite mushy and don't at all live up to the premise of such a relatively complicated dome with slider design (they are conductive slider with buckling rubber sleeve/coil spring over single membrane; I own both variants). What the Famicom does use I have no idea.

Topre Enthusiast

30 Sep 2015, 10:25

Home now -- had a chance to check the video and rzwv's post. Certainly doesn't look like Mitsumi Hybrid, but it does look like something I have. A crappy Panasonic numpad I bought a few years back.

Ill dig it out and post some pics.

Topre Enthusiast

30 Sep 2015, 11:07

Hmmm OK -- not quite the same:

Spoiler:

Wow...11,000 Yen for this thing?!

Chyros

30 Sep 2015, 13:33

Oh no! That looks just like Amstrad spring over membrane! In that case, stay the fuck away! XD

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

30 Sep 2015, 13:46

Stay the fuck away? Not very british Mr. scientist! :D

Chyros

30 Sep 2015, 14:07

I'm not British :P .

Some Brits swear like absolute sailors though xD .

Muirium
µ

30 Sep 2015, 14:30

Most all of us are right foul mouthed fuckers, as a matter of fact. And so are our moms!

Of course, the same can be said for most of Europe (surely the north!) and indeed most of America, excepting the parts where God'll get ya.

seebart

30 Sep 2015, 14:37

Come on I was joking you guys. But I did think that Chyros was a British scientist. :p

Muirium
µ

30 Sep 2015, 14:42

I think you're thinking of Bripster.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

30 Sep 2015, 15:17

Chyros wrote: I'm not British :P
Where are you from, then?

Chyros

30 Sep 2015, 16:00

XMIT wrote:
Chyros wrote: I'm not British :P
Where are you from, then?
Normally I make people guess, but I'll just say it this time; I'm from the Netherlands :) . I moved to the UK to do my PhD, but I'm not from there originally :) .

Muirium
µ

30 Sep 2015, 16:12

And like everyone from the Dutchdeutschenlaands, you were originally from somewhere else besides! You're all winged summer seekers over there, I hear.

seebart

30 Sep 2015, 16:23

Muirium wrote: You're all winged summer seekers over there, I hear.
Trust me that's not gernerally the case:
Spoiler:
Punks-1-HA-Bilder-Fotogalerien-HH.jpg
Punks-1-HA-Bilder-Fotogalerien-HH.jpg (121.01 KiB) Viewed 14150 times

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

01 Oct 2015, 09:52

Muirium wrote: And like everyone from the Dutchdeutschenlaands, you were originally from somewhere else besides! You're all winged summer seekers over there, I hear.
:maverick:

Chyros

01 Oct 2015, 09:59

Muirium wrote: And like everyone from the Dutchdeutschenlaands, you were originally from somewhere else besides! You're all winged summer seekers over there, I hear.
Heheheh xD . Well I do travel a lot, that's true xD .

Crazy Canadian XXIV

01 Oct 2015, 10:33

Have you gotten that keyboard yet, Wyatt? Because you totally should. For science, of course. And because that keyboard looks absolutely ballin'.

Raumfahrer

20 May 2019, 09:42

necropost from hell ... sorry
I see one for sale here in Tokyo now, and I wonder how to connect it/make it work with a modern machine. The sale item even has 2 or 3 of the original cartridges

side note: that Japanese youtuber has a ton of interesting keyboard reviews - but sadly has stopped posting

metai

29 May 2019, 09:42

Edited/deleted. I didn't think I would get a lot of feedback, but the deafening silence is disheartening.

Return to “Keyboards”