Random keyboards, lovingly photographed

scottc

27 Jul 2015, 15:35

photekq has another set of those caps around, doesn't he..?

wlhlm
~

27 Jul 2015, 15:39

Muirium wrote: He's a dyesub fundamentalist. Bet it's just for switch harvesting. You should keep those tasty caps!
They are indeed nice to type on (except for the spacebar). My first experience with sphericals and I'm impressed!

The layout is a bit unusual. :roll:

wlhlm
~

27 Jul 2015, 15:49

scottc wrote: photekq has another set of those caps around, doesn't he..?
The Nixdorf Photekq had before had lasered caps. They done't seem as nice as the doubleshots.

scottc

27 Jul 2015, 15:55

Aw, shame. :(

That KOMBI ZEICHEN cap is great. I read it as ZOMBI KIECHEN first though, which is a bit more interesting.

wlhlm
~

27 Jul 2015, 16:05

How to shutdown your computer after work:

Commands in Business BASIC (German explanation).

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

03 Aug 2015, 20:36

Naked KeyTronic
IMGP0277.JPG
IMGP0277.JPG (954.23 KiB) Viewed 7288 times
IMGP0268.JPG
IMGP0268.JPG (975.13 KiB) Viewed 7288 times

Madhias
BS TORPE

03 Aug 2015, 21:07

Nice pictures, the colors are matching nice! That black keycap has an interesting shape.

seebart

03 Aug 2015, 21:29

Thanks Madhias, I'll do a review on it sometime. I had the rest of the caps in a bath when I shot that picture. That keytronic is from 1980. While it's very interesting from a pure practical point of view I'll tell you we should be very happy with our modern keyboards!

Muirium
µ

01 Oct 2015, 13:54

Here's my Cherry G80-3482LAMIT in (my not quite complete) Granite.

First the text mods. Note all the missing symbols. This is my secondary set, which I didn't even intend for a TKL, let alone a fullsize board!
G80-3482LAMIT Granite text mods overview.JPG
G80-3482LAMIT Granite text mods overview.JPG (410.82 KiB) Viewed 7160 times
G80-3482LAMIT Granite text mods Mu shot.JPG
G80-3482LAMIT Granite text mods Mu shot.JPG (317.21 KiB) Viewed 7160 times
And now my canonical Granite: the awesome icon mods.
G80-3482LAMIT Granite icon mods - left.JPG
G80-3482LAMIT Granite icon mods - left.JPG (471.48 KiB) Viewed 7160 times
G80-3482LAMIT Granite icon mods - right.JPG
G80-3482LAMIT Granite icon mods - right.JPG (315.27 KiB) Viewed 7160 times
Those vintage Cherry sphericals are the closest thing I have to a DSA numpad! I never realised how much shorter they are than DSA until now. And yet they're deeper scooped, too. Epic keys, just a pity they're incomplete and never designed for "modern" numpad use in any case.

Anyone with a spare Granite numpad they'd like to sell? Longshot, I know…

Anyway, I shot these pictures for some Granite trades I'm doing. They turned out pretty nice, and the Cherry definitely feels best with these keys. Actually a fairly nice keyboard with a full PBT set on the TKL block. Reassuring, given my plans for a chop!

andrewjoy

01 Oct 2015, 15:29

That looks awesome. Keep meaning to photo mine with its doubleshot PBT.

I was surprised how nice this board was too, nicer blacks that one of my wyse.

Muirium
µ

01 Oct 2015, 15:37

What condition was your Wyse in? I think the "broken in" thing with MX blacks might be bullshit. Also, these boards are PCB mount, and quite bendy at that! Wyse was all plate mount, I think.

andrewjoy

01 Oct 2015, 15:42

i have 4 wyse.

2x PCE
1x 50
1x 85

one PCE was totaly trashed but the switches where loverly , the other was clean but they feel like modern blacks

the 50 was outstanding and the 85 is nice too , i know the 85 has been in very heavy use in a factory when i got it but it always had a sealed plastic cover on it .

seebart

01 Oct 2015, 15:52

Alright some better shots of this one...I really need to get a better DSLR.
IMGP0558.JPG
IMGP0558.JPG (1017.87 KiB) Viewed 7128 times
IMGP0571.JPG
IMGP0571.JPG (920.54 KiB) Viewed 7128 times

guk
1896 Vintage Reds

01 Oct 2015, 15:58

I remember providing the link for that cutie, but it wasn't NIB. ;)

seebart

01 Oct 2015, 16:05

Sure it could have been used, very little. I'll say it's NIB, and I'm looking at it live. ;)

Muirium
µ

01 Oct 2015, 16:30

My ANSI US (from Germany) is the same way. Not sealed, and actually a bit of tearing on the label on the underside as I recall, but no yellowing whatsoever on the spacebar.

Nice find! Pity Apple didn't use another ink colour for the secondary legends. Granite does it better!

seebart

01 Oct 2015, 16:34

Muirium wrote: Nice find! Pity Apple didn't use another ink colour for the secondary legends. Granite does it better!
Well guk found it like a lot of other stuff. Yeah red for the secondary legends would have been nice. But that's Apple.

Madhias
BS TORPE

01 Oct 2015, 20:43

We see a little bit more of Muiriums home, now a plant! And sun! In Scotland! I remember being there for about 3 weeks, with every day rain and people outside with t-shirts at 7 °C. Great pictures BTW!

I really like that Apple keyboard, especially that logo on the top left corner. Lovely detail.

Muirium
µ

01 Oct 2015, 22:15

This is the widest angle you're getting of my one room with a decent bit of natural light!

http://deskthority.net/photos-f62/post- ... es#p253072

The plant's a pretty massive yucca actually, which is just touching the ceiling now this summer. But didn't anyone notice my 17 year old cat? Even older than the wifi basestations (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz) that she habitually uses as warming pads!

I won't argue about Scottish weather and Scottish light. All the rumours are true! I find that my fellow Scots are generally just as cold shy as the English and others with more excuses than up here at 56º north. But I would say that, as I love the cold. Just not all the ice that forever goes with it…

seebart

08 Oct 2015, 17:31

Micro Switch shot with flash (including funky refelctions on the side of the case):
IMGP0843.JPG
IMGP0843.JPG (958.57 KiB) Viewed 6956 times

photekq
Cherry Picker

08 Oct 2015, 19:09

seebart wrote: Micro Switch shot with flash (including funky refelctions on the side of the case):
IMGP0843.JPG
Wow. That's a beauty.

klikkyklik

08 Oct 2015, 19:13

Cool!

RoastPotatoes

08 Oct 2015, 19:15

Muirium wrote: This is the widest angle you're getting of my one room with a decent bit of natural light!

http://deskthority.net/photos-f62/post- ... es#p253072

The plant's a pretty massive yucca actually, which is just touching the ceiling now this summer. But didn't anyone notice my 17 year old cat? Even older than the wifi basestations (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz) that she habitually uses as warming pads!

I won't argue about Scottish weather and Scottish light. All the rumours are true! I find that my fellow Scots are generally just as cold shy as the English and others with more excuses than up here at 56º north. But I would say that, as I love the cold. Just not all the ice that forever goes with it…
Is yellowing not an issue with natural light?

zslane

08 Oct 2015, 19:23

Hmm. Uniform "row 3" profile (i.e., non-sculpted rows) was more common back in the day than I thought...

Muirium
µ

08 Oct 2015, 19:37

And it was a mistake back then as well. My Honeywell is all "row 3", on tilted stems so the board has a staircase step to it. Not good though. I suspect they had their reasons: cheapness and more overlap for layouts like AZERTY. IBM was smart about that on buckling spring as well, but a curved plate makes all the difference.

@Roasters: Not much. First, that's about as bright as it ever gets. Those shelves are on a southern wall, looking north. The other side of the room is where the sunshine falls, and even then it's lemon coloured Scottish sunlight. Second, notice those are mostly IBMs. Only ABS plastic yellows due to light. IBM did a good job using PBT and the like, which stays true to its original colour, for caps and case. I'm quite OCD enough to keep my other boards boxed! Including the Realforce, while my HHKB lives in its travel case when I'm not typing.

BlueBär

08 Oct 2015, 23:17

seebart wrote: Micro Switch shot with flash (including funky refelctions on the side of the case):
IMGP0843.JPG
Round 6 pls

seebart

10 Oct 2015, 18:24

Fun in the sun:
IMGP0915.JPG
IMGP0915.JPG (952.3 KiB) Viewed 6845 times

scottc

10 Oct 2015, 18:29

Nice one Seebart! Hey, you wouldn't be interested in a PCB swap for the ISO-DE equivalent of that board, would you? :)

seebart

10 Oct 2015, 18:34

Depends on the condition of your SGI. I just got this one, it's in pretty good shape overall. OK that's a little picky, but even PCB's can be pretty used! :D What about the caps?

scottc

10 Oct 2015, 18:59

I know exactly what you mean - especially Alps of all things! I don't have the board with me right now, it's in Ireland and I'm away until December. My board is in pretty good condition though, but perhaps not as nice as yours. I'll get some pictures later on. :)

Return to “Gallery”