[closed] Matias Ergo Pro Tour

jou

20 Sep 2015, 22:43

Muirium
µ

20 Sep 2015, 23:12

Undocumented features are awesome! Too awesome to be documented, clearly…

sphinx
Major Bummer

21 Sep 2015, 00:22

thanks, that fixed it :P

im used to press space with the left thumb so it was kinda weird :)

Muirium
µ

21 Sep 2015, 00:26

idollar wrote: I know that I am too late for this, but would be possible to be added in the German path ?
I would not keep it for more than a week.

A "no, it is not possible. You are too late" will be accepted.
I set the thread title to Still Open for Late Registry because, well, the tour is still open to late registry! I'll put you on the list.

urlwolf

23 Sep 2015, 18:03

Not part of the tour, bought it unseen, here's my review...
The switches are a bit stubborn, like the fukkas.
Not sure they will grow on me. The activation force feels pretty serious. I'm not sure this is bottoming out or the actual feel of the switch.

The large space bar and control keys are great ideas, no doubt. I just don't think the switches are all that great. They seem to shake when you press the key down.

The dedicated keys for copy paste are a great invention, one I have replicated on normal keyboards using the function keys. I keep hitting paste when I tried to hit left shift.

I'll type on it a bit more, but for now the veredict is that it's going back.

pcaro

08 Oct 2015, 09:29

keyboard received. Writting now with it. Review in two weeks.

urlwolf

08 Oct 2015, 20:18

Updating my review. It's now my main board, having displaced filcos, cherry reds, and a maltron.
The space bar is the best in the industry bar none. The tenting mechanism depending on the hand rests is not ideal. It forces the keyboard to be separated from the body, resulting in a very unergonomic position.

Very heavy, not portable, but I take it with me everywhere. Feels like the constant unplugging and plugging will damage the inputs.

It's not going back, It's my favorite keyboard, sorry about the hasty review before.

Muirium
µ

08 Oct 2015, 20:31

Someday you'll settle on whether you hate/love/hate it! How did it displace your Maltron?

sphinx
Major Bummer

09 Oct 2015, 12:30

My short review:

I loved the build quality and hand rests, the switch press feel is also nice. It's heavy and sturdy and It could be easily used has a very effective throwing weapon, if the situation requires it.

Loved the double size space bar row.

I hated the num lock location, ended up pressing it a bunch of times while typing and only noticing when a bunch of numbers appear instead of letters.

They keycaps are very wobbly and that with the num lock location was a big let down for me.

andrewjoy

09 Oct 2015, 12:47

They fixed the num lock thing they moved it away from that location, but yes i agree whoever decided to put that there better have been in receipt of a darn good spanking.

Muirium
µ

09 Oct 2015, 13:00

All that wobble was a lot more obvious than I expected as well. Not encouraging!

Overall it's a solid enough board. But it sure has its quirks.

macmakkara

23 Oct 2015, 20:50

pcaro wrote: keyboard received. Writting now with it. Review in two weeks.
2 weeks have gone. How its going? :)

Stabilized

24 Oct 2015, 17:47

I completely missed out on the original sign up, but if it is going back to the UK at the end could I add myself to the end of the list?

Muirium
µ

24 Oct 2015, 18:54

Like the thread title says: Signups Still Open. So yes, I'll pop you on there.

My plan is to keep this board out on tour as long as there's still interest. It might ultimately wind up as a prize, like at the DTAs. But not the ones coming up in December, too soon!

Stabilized

24 Oct 2015, 19:00

Great, thank you. If I end up being the last one I could even hand deliver it to you if you're still in Edinburgh.

Muirium
µ

26 Oct 2015, 12:52

A good fellow Scotsman: keen to save on shipping!

That's fine by me, but it'll be a while yet. The tour's been running since July and we're not half way through the list yet. Looks like it won't be back until next summer.

Stabilized

26 Oct 2015, 13:08

As a student I don't have much money to spend, but I have quite a lot of time, so you can see why the idea is appealing (being Scottish helps too, of course).

With all good things in the keyboard world, I have to become quite accustomed to the idea of waiting.

Muirium
µ

26 Oct 2015, 13:11

You and me both. I was on Deskthority for almost 2 years before I finally got my HHKB. A keyboard I knew I wanted after about 30 minutes here…

pcaro

26 Oct 2015, 17:22

macmakkara wrote:
pcaro wrote: keyboard received. Writting now with it. Review in two weeks.
2 weeks have gone. How its going? :)
The keyboard is going out to Seebart tomorrow.

Rapid impressions: Good general quality. Ugly keycaps.
Bad location for scape, F5 and 6 keys (I pain it more than numlock). I hoped more on Matias quiet switches. For me, tactile blacks with too hight action point. First column (copy, paste, etc) not used. Great crtl and space sizes. Cursors in very good position.

Muirium
µ

26 Oct 2015, 17:32

Lines up fairly well with my impressions. I just hardly ever touch the function keys. On any keyboard!

pcaro

26 Oct 2015, 17:50

Muirium wrote: Lines up fairly well with my impressions. I just hardly ever touch the function keys. On any keyboard!
Oh! I forgot! The worse: functions keys size. I use it a lot!

andrewjoy

26 Oct 2015, 18:28

Yeh macboy over there will not use the f keys that often , i don't on my 122F in work. ( keep thinking i should switch to my 107).

There is a trend nowdays to make the F keys tiny and i hate it , if you are reaching up to the f row you need to be able to go for a large target

pcaro

26 Oct 2015, 18:31

andrewjoy wrote: Yeh macboy over there will not use the f keys that often , i don't on my 122F in work. ( keep thinking i should switch to my 107).

There is a trend nowdays to make the F keys tiny and i hate it , if you are reaching up to the f row you need to be able to go for a large target
I agree. If you need F keys you need it very often. I use F2, F3, F5, F11 and F12 a lot.

Muirium
µ

27 Oct 2015, 10:14

Pfft. The numrow is perfect for double duty as function row. Fn+1=F1. Fn+0=F10. Fn+==F12.

What really matters is the placement of Fn. Correct answer: HHKB. Partial credit: somewhere down on the spacebar row.

I even put it on Insert on my SSKs and the like (which just don't have the necessary physical key locations for somewhere better) as I also use Fn for media keys. Gotta have an Fn! It's for more than just the F row.

pcaro

27 Oct 2015, 16:59

Muirium wrote: Pfft. The numrow is perfect for double duty as function row. Fn+1=F1. Fn+0=F10. Fn+==F12.

What really matters is the placement of Fn. Correct answer: HHKB. Partial credit: somewhere down on the spacebar row.

I even put it on Insert on my SSKs and the like (which just don't have the necessary physical key locations for somewhere better) as I also use Fn for media keys. Gotta have an Fn! It's for more than just the F row.
Two hands for Function Keys? Using a Fn for a key I press 5 times per minute? Our user case It's very different. I hit the F5 in one day more than you that multimedias in one year!

Muirium
µ

27 Oct 2015, 17:07

Quite likely. Command + R is Refresh (or Rebuild etc.) on my platform. And pressed one handed.

IjonTichy

30 Oct 2015, 20:22

pcaro wrote: The keyboard is going out to Seebart tomorrow.
Oh, its coming to Germany! Fortunately the list is very long so I will have enough time to get my number of posts :lol:

Muirium
µ

30 Oct 2015, 20:55

Try reading the OP. There is no post count rule. I just need to see you on DT often enough!

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

30 Oct 2015, 21:41

IjonTichy wrote:
pcaro wrote: The keyboard is going out to Seebart tomorrow.
It got here today. :) Thanks.

IjonTichy

31 Oct 2015, 12:27

Muirium wrote: Try reading the OP. There is no post count rule. I just need to see you on DT often enough!
Sorry, you are right. I try to post more frequently.

Return to “Try before you buy”