Deskthority Awards 2015 - Request for Comments

Muirium
µ

27 Oct 2015, 11:28

matt3o wrote: I'm giving you my opinion. that being said I'm okay at keeping the awards exactly as they were the last year. Two years are an eternity in internet time, but nothing in mechanical keyboard time. I find the DT award a nice yearly event but I believe it would be more cunning if held every two years. If we had to keep it yearly, at least reduce the amount of awards.

An alternative might be to run a light version (fewer awards) every odd years and the full blown up on even years.
That's a half decent idea. Especially the Deskthority Award itself — the golden wingnut — which seems to be the miscellaneous category as things stand now and doesn't seem appropriate.

There would still be the problem of an event "missing" an award and needing to be remembered two long years until nominations, by which time most of us will have forgotten when it happened and whether it already won those ancient prizes yet.

You have got a point though. I was thinking about a minimum nominations threshold to activate an award each year. But when there's a weak field, people nominate crap instead. Perhaps we should have a vote on each category before nominations? Or perhaps we could add a "No Award this Year" option to the later voting stages so people can choose that instead of KFC. I would have.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

27 Oct 2015, 11:41

matt3o wrote: - Best DT contribution (being review, photo, wiki, tutorial, fart, ...)
Merging categories does not make things easier on the vote, especially if that category makes up 50% of everthing that goes on here at DT. Then the rules for submission would have to be tightend otherwise the field of potential known past winners is narrow which turns the entire event into a silly show. And yes two years are an eternity in internet time, doesent mean it's not possible or reasonable. Having good rules in everything for a competitive event. Or we could just discuss it "to death" :evilgeek: which I don't mind.

andrewjoy

27 Oct 2015, 11:45

I dont see any issues with how it has been in the past. A few categories are the same every year "best vintage" and so on but thats not too bad for 1 or 2 things.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

27 Oct 2015, 11:47

what about community awards every year and community+commercial awards every other?

7bit

27 Oct 2015, 11:51

I somehow like this:
- Best DT contribution (being review, photo, wiki, tutorial, fart, ...)
- Best commercial keyboard / product
- Best community project
- Ping award

Except that it should be "Best keyboard/product (new in 2015)"

Example:

- Best DT contribution (being review, photo, wiki, tutorial, fart, ...)
matt3o, because he suggested simplified DT award categories!
:P

- Best keyboard / product (2015)
7bit for the Hyper-keyboard family.
:ugeek:

- Best community project
zslane for the SHIFT-legend SVG he sent to 7bit, so he could revolutionize key cap ordering and mockupgraphics making.
:evilgeek:

- Ping award
7bit for not delivering plates for all his keyboard PCBs ...
:roll:

seebart

27 Oct 2015, 12:03

- Best examples of fictional DT awards in ALL CATEGORIES(2015...openended)

7bit
;)

- Best example of a new category: make your own category(201?)

anyone active on DT
:mrgreen:

Muirium
µ

27 Oct 2015, 12:06

seebart wrote: - Best examples of fictional DT awards in ALL CATEGORIES(2015...openended)
andrewjoy wrote: I propose 2 new categories.

Best USA to UK keyboard mule
Best CST Kid Track and Pool Ball Group buy

Reward is a Kirshi and a TLK novatouch with dampening rings , FOR BOTH!
Muirium wrote: The Andy Awards. Coming to you in 2016. Literally. The loot ain't leaving before New Years.

Can we have one for Most Delayed GB? So long as the GH60 isn't still in pole position… I haven't even delayed the Unicomp GB for a year yet.

seebart

27 Oct 2015, 12:07

Now the "Andy Awards" is a seperate event though as I understand it, and I will be following that one!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

27 Oct 2015, 12:09

I still want the fart award.

seebart

27 Oct 2015, 12:27

matt3o wrote: I still want the fart award.
You're gonna have to work for that one matt3o! I mean the planning, forms of submission, rules etc. :evilgeek:

Muirium
µ

27 Oct 2015, 12:32

And the video evidence.

Actually, the community could really use an open standard design of force meter…

bhtooefr

27 Oct 2015, 14:12

I'm thinking, maybe...

If there's insufficient nominations for a category, the award is cancelled.
If there are sufficient nominations, No Award is an option in the first round of voting. If No Award would make it to the next round, the award is cancelled.

And, if a category could be combined with another category, to allow some worthy nominees to win, I could see the argument for combining on a case-by-case basis, too.

seebart

27 Oct 2015, 14:31

Yeah having a minimum number of entries is good. How many though? I also think that for certain categoreies like Best DT contribution a restriction of the number of media submitted per user might be sensible.

Muirium
µ

27 Oct 2015, 14:50

Reminder: there were 8 ENTRIES in the epic fail KFC category last year.

http://deskthority.net/call-nominees-f8 ... t9192.html

When challenged, people will nominate steaming piles of dogshit.

So I think a minimum entry number isn't relevant. As for a No Award vote, I'd hate to lose a category just because the No Award option got 10 votes while a few other nominees got 15 or 20. For an award to be nixed, No Award must top the poll!
seebart wrote: I also think that for certain categoreies like Best DT contribution a restriction of the number of media submitted per user might be sensible.
How to implement that? People don't self nominate, so instead everyone starts nominating their own favourite HaaTa relics. Do we block any more HaaTa nominations after the first 3 or something? What if people — as usual — are just nominating the most recent stuff they happen to remember, and the best one hasn't been mentioned yet? Sounds like an unworkable, pointless obstacle to me. Even if the motive is well intentioned.

scottc

27 Oct 2015, 14:58

Mu, are you claiming that you don't appreciate the subtle artistry of the KFC board? Remind me to remove you from my Christmas card list. Pff!

Muirium
µ

27 Oct 2015, 14:59

No, I voted for it too! In protest of the Logitech and the Das…

It was the closest thing to No Award we had on the ballot.

scottc

27 Oct 2015, 15:03

Full disclosure: I didn't vote for it out of anger or protest, I just thought it was funny.

Muirium
µ

27 Oct 2015, 15:06

It was a bit of both for me, as well. If there was a serious challenger that year I actually liked, the KFC ad-board wouldn't stand a chance. But there wasn't, so it won.

Anyone remember what fullsize boards came out in 2015? I think I remember *some* Topres, but not the analog sensing ones they merely teased in summer.

seebart

27 Oct 2015, 15:20

Muirium wrote: Anyone remember what fullsize boards came out in 2015? I think I remember *some* Topres, but not the analog sensing ones they merely teased in summer.
http://www.cherry.de/cid/Mechanische_Ta ... ARD_60.htm

That's a big one.
Last edited by seebart on 27 Oct 2015, 15:23, edited 1 time in total.

Muirium
µ

27 Oct 2015, 15:23

Damn, I still need to write my review, before I vote for something else! Not my favourite board, by a long shot. Not even my favourite MX board! They screwed the pooch with those backlights.

seebart

27 Oct 2015, 15:24

Well we know it's got real nice screws right?

Muirium
µ

27 Oct 2015, 15:26

I like that the case is metal, and that they chose MX red switches for the MX Board.

Every single other thing about it I either dislike or loathe with a fury unbefitting a sensible review! And then I went and broke it while trying to fix the most egregious one… gah!

seebart

27 Oct 2015, 15:33

OK the screw "incident" is a bad start, but a sensible review should still be manageable. But since I have no interest whatsoever in the board itself...

Muirium
µ

27 Oct 2015, 15:38

Right now, the spacebar doesn't work. My fault, of course. But it does get a little in the way of writing on it…

What I mean to do is give it to someone who can and wants to fix my desoldering hatchet job. I need to shoot pictures of the damage and get a volunteer. They can keep the keyboard, gladly.

It's not all bad, that board. But surely not designed with me in mind. Or modding…

andrewjoy

27 Oct 2015, 15:40

What did you break !

HzFaq

27 Oct 2015, 15:40

Stick it in the Surprise Box :D.

andrewjoy

27 Oct 2015, 15:41

Or you could send it to me , i could fix it and we can send it on in the box. Or trade places.

seebart

27 Oct 2015, 15:42

Drop Cherry a line, they should be begging you to write a review and sending you several of those! I mean how much good product PR can they get? Not enough, that's how much!

Muirium
µ

27 Oct 2015, 15:44

This board was a freebie for review from Robin at Cherry UK. You know, the guy running a closing down sale…

@Andy. Now there's a fine idea! I might even get it back to do a real review. They should ideally be typed on the board in question, after all.

Broke: PCB contacts for the spacebar switch. Apparently. Cause it don't work now.

When there's light, I'll get in there with the macro. But light is rare in Scots winter.

7bit

27 Oct 2015, 15:50

I suggest we run a poll over all categories.

Return to “DTA news”