Monitor Arms

sixty
Gasbag Guru

30 Jan 2011, 19:45

Any of you use "monitor arms" or "monitor mounts"?
I am trying to find a good one that will work with my 24 inch.

I ordered one of these from Amazon:

It is mounted on the table (good), but sadly does not support my 24 inch, so I had to send it back. Looking for suggestions that will work for big screens. I currently plan to use it for a 24 inch screen, but if it would be upgrade safe to 30 inch that would be ideal. Anyone?

lootbag

30 Jan 2011, 21:26

I use a desk mounted Ergotron LX Arm
http://www.ergotron.com

Supports my Dell U2410 perfectly.
I do not the availability of this product in Germany though.
:?

sixty
Gasbag Guru

30 Jan 2011, 21:28

Damn. Looks nice, sadly they cost as much or more than the monitors I use. I guess that might be Europe's fault, once again. The smallest(?) one seems to go for around 160 Euro (~220 USD)...

lootbag

30 Jan 2011, 21:31

I remember paying around 120CAD a few years ago for mine haha.
What a price difference!

I only went with Ergotron because they seemed to be the most widely used.
They support a wide range of mounts too, although my Dell just uses the standard 100x100 VESA.

jbl

31 Jan 2011, 07:56

I use an Ergotron LX Dual Stacking arm. Received it a week or so ago and it has become one of the best purchases I've made so far. I use it to support an NEC LCD2470WNX and a Macbook.

It is relatively easy to setup. Has some decent cable management features, and looks great. Being desk mount, however, I do sometimes get some wobbling due to a somewhat flexy desk. If you can do a wall mount, I'd suggest that since it'd be a lot sturdier.

The Ergotron arms are pricey, but they are really well made and finished. The adjustments are smooth and easy to use as well.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

31 Jan 2011, 09:21

jbl wrote:Being desk mount, however, I do sometimes get some wobbling due to a somewhat flexy desk. If you can do a wall mount, I'd suggest that since it'd be a lot sturdier.
I was afraid of that.. My desk is somewhat stable, but it still feels like there could be quite some wobble if I type very fast (or play a game or something)

lootbag

31 Jan 2011, 23:04

there won't be any wobble if you type fast or gaming.
my ergotron only wobbles when i accidentally knock my leg or something into the desk... or when someone is jumping around in my room.
as long as you have a nice solid desk that is well supported, should be ok.
don't know if you know IKEA desks, but I have a Galant, super sturdy!

sixty
Gasbag Guru

31 Jan 2011, 23:10

I have the big version of the Galant too actually. But its currently on carpet, so thats not optimal.

jbl

01 Feb 2011, 07:18

sixty wrote:I have the big version of the Galant too actually. But its currently on carpet, so thats not optimal.
Sounds like a chance to do some Ikea-hacking. Carpet piercing spikes, anyone?

webwit
Wild Duck

01 Feb 2011, 11:23

I want a wall-mount one, then I can get rid of the desk.

Mrinterface

01 Feb 2011, 16:51

webwit wrote:I want a wall-mount one, then I can get rid of the desk.

But.... But... That's a piece of a vacuum cleaner for strapping the paddles! Whahahaha, didn't see that b4....

sixty
Gasbag Guru

01 Feb 2011, 16:54

Your setup is quite awesome, since the PC is entirely in a different room. I remember the Koreans thinking you had a fridge below the table... it really should be one.

7bit

01 Feb 2011, 17:39

sixty wrote:Any of you use "monitor arms" or "monitor mounts"?
I am trying to find a good one that will work with my 24 inch.

I ordered one of these from Amazon:

It is mounted on the table (good), but sadly does not support my 24 inch, so I had to send it back. Looking for suggestions that will work for big screens. I currently plan to use it for a 24 inch screen, but if it would be upgrade safe to 30 inch that would be ideal. Anyone?
When we got our 2nd computer somewhere in the early 1990s, we had somethig similar for our new 15" color monitor. If I had known that you would have any use of that, I wouln't have thrown it away 10 years ago.
webwit wrote:I want a wall-mount one, then I can get rid of the desk.
I'd suggest to ceil-mount the plants, then you can use the desk as a kitchen table.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

01 Feb 2011, 17:44

7bit wrote: I'd suggest to ceil-mount the plants, then you can use the desk as a kitchen table.
I had "hanging plants" in my old apartment a few years ago. Then one day the cat jumped into them and the whole construction ripped of the celing plate along with the cat, the plants, the turf and many shards of the vase ruining the carpet. I know webwit has a cat too, despite looking very well fed and lazy, it might still pull of a stunt like that. I do not suggest ceiling mounted plants with cats in the house.

webwit
Wild Duck

01 Feb 2011, 18:34

Mrinterface wrote:But.... But... That's a piece of a vacuum cleaner for strapping the paddles! Whahahaha, didn't see that b4....
Finally someone notices. It was perfect for it. No matter which degree you put it on the floor or how you move it, it keeps flat and swivels along. No longer use the foot pedals though.

HaaTa
Master Kiibohd Hunter

01 Feb 2011, 18:54

I have a Moview monitor arm:

I quite like it (10 year warranty too), but I don't think they sell them anymore (and mine is only good for up to 22" monitors).

Minskleip

02 Feb 2011, 23:07

These mounts look very nice. I have a good adjustable base (which I use for storage), but with such an arm you can buy any decent VESA complient monitor; very cool.

Do you work from home webwit, or do you have a second pair of data hands at work?

webwit
Wild Duck

02 Feb 2011, 23:09

I work at home and at clients. I have a backup Datahand, but I don't use that on the road, then it's usually the HHKB Pro II or the Filco TKL with Browns mapped HHKB style. Although I own the official "Databag" !

sixty
Gasbag Guru

02 Feb 2011, 23:12

Databag? Kinda camping sack for the datahand?

Minskleip

02 Feb 2011, 23:21

webwit wrote:I work at home and at clients. I have a backup Datahand, but I don't use that on the road, then it's usually the HHKB Pro II or the Filco TKL with Browns mapped HHKB style. Although I own the official "Databag" !
I could never work at home; at least not without a huge house with a study. I'm currently looking for work, so I spend my days mostly sleeping. Redicously lazy.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

02 Feb 2011, 23:22

Protip: you are not gonna find work in your bed :P
<insert witty sexual joke here>

Sleeping all day does not work out!

webwit
Wild Duck

02 Feb 2011, 23:27

When I bought the Databag I asked what was special about it, was it branded or something, and they said they looked into that, but in the end found an ordinary bag for video equipment or whatever which fitted the purpose perfectly. It's just some bag.

Minskleip

02 Feb 2011, 23:29

Lol
I could apply for work with my Android device. I'm finishing up my interviews before either going to my new work or applying more, so it'll hopefully work out.

But it's real good to sleep a couple of hours in the middle of the day hehe

Parak

03 Feb 2011, 08:41

I use a Chief KCB110. Three of them, that is, for my 24 inchers. You can see them in action over thar.

I'm veering in a completely different direction than webwit desk-wise, apparently. Although before settling on this, I was considering mounting everything on the wall..

I also considered ergotron and monoprice arms, but they were all lacking in one way or another. Generally you do get what you pay for, and pay for it I did :( :( My poor wallet..

sixty
Gasbag Guru

03 Feb 2011, 17:33

Project "Very Expensive" desk, hah - Not a very motivating name for the project.

ynih

03 Feb 2011, 23:24

If you remove the desk...that would just be kind of awkward...I can't imagine sitting in an office chair staring at a wall with no desk between me. I know the keyboards are mounted on the arm rests of the chair, but something still seems wrong when I can't prop my feet up and watch my pr0n in that position.... ;)

sixty
Gasbag Guru

03 Feb 2011, 23:42

ynih wrote:If you remove the desk...that would just be kind of awkward...I can't imagine sitting in an office chair staring at a wall with no desk between me. I know the keyboards are mounted on the arm rests of the chair, but something still seems wrong when I can't prop my feet up and watch my pr0n in that position.... ;)
You have no idea of the possibilities of that chair!

Full access! Alone or as a couple, also known as the BJ chair.

instantkamera

04 Feb 2011, 00:11

Minskleip wrote: I could never work at home; at least not without a huge house with a study. I'm currently looking for work, so I spend my days mostly sleeping. Redicously lazy.
"study" = extra bedroom. In my case, it works fine.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

04 Feb 2011, 00:13

Nice case! Somehow I also like the colors of your wall, and of course - good choice on your distro too :P

Minskleip

04 Feb 2011, 00:19

instantkamera wrote:
Minskleip wrote: I could never work at home; at least not without a huge house with a study. I'm currently looking for work, so I spend my days mostly sleeping. Redicously lazy.
"study" = extra bedroom. In my case, it works fine.
You have your own business? How is it working out these days?

1200 E a month and use the second bedroom as a working area could work, if the business went that well.

Return to “Off-topic”