SA Row 4 Shift molds - Ready

Oobly

03 Nov 2015, 15:41

Good news, team!

After a number of emails back and forth between myself and Melissa and some hard work done by the Signature Plastics engineers and toolmakers, we finally have semi-matte Row 4 Shift molds available for SA profile!
2.75 Shift.jpg
2.75 Shift.jpg (151.73 KiB) Viewed 6969 times
Melissa is trying to schedule running both Shifts for all previous fully sculpted SA sets (PuLSE SA, Hack'd by Geeks, Retro SA, Jukebox, Carbon, etc.) and they will be made available in the PMK store when they're done.

This also means that current set designers can now include semi-matte Row 4 Shifts in their designs.

The age of complete fully sculpted SA sets has come!

Now, designers.... Show us what you got! (It's time to get SHIFTy in here)

Best Regards,
Oobly

cswanic

03 Nov 2015, 15:44

Oh man, ^THIS

scottc

03 Nov 2015, 16:07

Niiiiiiice!

chzel

03 Nov 2015, 18:00

Great news!

zslane

03 Nov 2015, 18:35

Will they use the corrected SHIFT legend?

jbondeson

03 Nov 2015, 18:40

And will 5a use the updated molds?

zslane

03 Nov 2015, 18:46

I asked that very question just now in the Round 5a thread over in the Marketplace section. I imagine 7bit will answer there.

Muirium
µ

03 Nov 2015, 21:08

Ngh, more REPAIR kits…

I ain't buying till they finally say SHIFT. How much longer must we put up with this SHIF T?

zslane

03 Nov 2015, 21:20

At least in terms of the new R4 SHIFT keys that will be offered directly from PMK, I am awaiting clarification from Melissa with regard to the fixed legends.

jbondeson

03 Nov 2015, 21:28

If they fixed the legend also they would be looking at either a 4-pack of keys (2.25, 2.75, 1.75, 1.25) or possibly two different packs. Otherwise you could have a board with a proper 1.75 R4 but SHIF T legend and a 2.25 R4 with a SHIFT legend.

Muirium
µ

03 Nov 2015, 21:31

Well, surely 75-95% of their customers only use 2.25 and 2.75 unit SHIF Ts. ISO is always an afterthought, and the HHKB style right Shift isn't nearly as mainstream as ANSI itself.

zslane

03 Nov 2015, 21:57

Well, I imagine if they create two packs, then they will get manufactured according to the new scheme whereby pre-orders interest check votes will tip production as demand dictates. Consequently, it could be a while before the odd sizes cross a production threshold, given the significantly lower demand they will have.

Muirium
µ

03 Nov 2015, 22:08

I really hope we don't have to rely on PMK for all this. My last experience with them involved an unexpected, thorough and sizeable shafting! They're just as clueless and painful as Massdrop when it comes to those of us thoughtless enough to be in Europe.

All my SA caps are from 7bit group buys, who runs his stuff outside of PMK. Of course, that means I can factor in some sweet delays instead!

Maybe I should just sell all my SA sets and not bother. I'm an IBM and Topre man at heart.

Oobly

04 Nov 2015, 12:07

zslane wrote: Well, I imagine if they create two packs, then they will get manufactured according to the new scheme whereby pre-orders interest check votes will tip production as demand dictates. Consequently, it could be a while before the odd sizes cross a production threshold, given the significantly lower demand they will have.
These will not go through the voting phase, they'll get made when a slot is available and made available to purchase directly in the PMK store. Hopefully we'll have decided on the best shift legend to use and can somehow get them funded before production. I don't see SP paying for making the legends, though.

As discussed at GH, it's probably best to have ANSI packs with 2.25 and 2.75 only (since practically all sets have an ANSI base kit) and the other sizes as single caps.

Muirium, how is SP to blame for your country charging you customs duties?

zslane

04 Nov 2015, 19:13

This morning I received e-mail from Melissa regarding my suggestion that SP use my SHIFT legend vector file for all Shift keys going forward, and this was her reply:
We are revising all of our SHIFT legends so that the T is closer to the F, so moving forward, anything that we are currently running or plan to run will have the adjusted SHIFT legend.
Make of that what you will.

Oobly

05 Nov 2015, 07:49

Very interesting, and very nice, too :)

SP have their ears on. Could this be a new age of SP being responsive to the community?

zslane

06 Nov 2015, 01:24

Could be.

I look forward to seeing what they come up with for a revised legend. I think it is safe to assume that they are doing their own work in this regard and that it won't involve the vector graphics from either myself or 7bit. In which case I can't help but think that all my work was for naught.

Oobly

13 Nov 2015, 10:36

First GB to use these in now live on Massdrop: http://deskthority.net/group-buys-f50/t ... 12030.html

Elrick

18 Nov 2015, 10:41

Oobly wrote: Very interesting, and very nice, too :)

SP have their ears on. Could this be a new age of SP being responsive to the community?

In this day and age if a Company refuses to listen to their customers they will ultimately go elsewhere to get their fix.

Glad SP was smart enough to actually do something here to further elevate their SA Profile, into the preferred type wanted by MOST people on this planet.

Oobly

19 Nov 2015, 11:06

Elrick wrote:
Oobly wrote: Very interesting, and very nice, too :)

In this day and age if a Company refuses to listen to their customers they will ultimately go elsewhere to get their fix.

Glad SP was smart enough to actually do something here to further elevate their SA Profile, into the preferred type wanted by MOST people on this planet.
Indeed, and SA will hopefully be getting another boost soon with another project of mine :D

zslane

19 Nov 2015, 19:21

You got SP to expand the sizes that come in gloss finish?

Return to “News”