[Closed] Hypersphere's Topre Damping Rings - Europe GB - Shipping Now

Bbrotha

01 Nov 2015, 22:48

In for 90!

Muirium
µ

02 Nov 2015, 00:11

El Salvador, eh? Maybe I should proxy them to you *before* I fly back to Europe!

tlt

02 Nov 2015, 00:17

Is is possible to use the rings on the stabilizers on the Novatouch?

Muirium
µ

02 Nov 2015, 00:20

Sure is. I have my NovaTouch 100% silenced with these. I added some extra foam — table tennis bat material from Cookie! — to the spacebar stabs for some extra damping goodness there. Might not have been necessary but I fancied trying. I think cutting a ring in two would also give you the same size of material that I added. Every other key is just a single ring and it all works very nicely.

tlt

02 Nov 2015, 00:26

Ok, I'm in for 92 :-)

andrewjoy

02 Nov 2015, 00:45

yeh can we get an extra one to dampen space please !

You know how i feel about a space bar that rattles.

I usually just fill stabiliser inserts with a load of grease. No need to buy fancy snake oil grease this stuff works wonders

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50g-Extra-Hea ... xyUrZSz1-F

Muirium
µ

02 Nov 2015, 00:49

"50g Extra Heavy Duty Polyurea Grease Joints/Bearings High Temp Lithium"

How does that stuff — whatever it actually is — compare with lithium grease? I've got lithium grease. Hell, I've got copper grease too. Bike stuff, see.

And is that you joining my GB then? Because you're not on the list yet. Name your number!

andrewjoy

02 Nov 2015, 01:27

oh err however many you need for a TLK nova-touch.

The stuff is much firmer than lithium from my experience at least , it also does not bind up like lithium.

Its quite strange stuff , it holds its shape at rest but flows quite well when under load. Now you are not going to get it to act like that on a stabiliser but what this means is it stays where you put it and prevents the metal stabiliser bar whacking on the insert Makes the larger keys on my filco have an almost topre thock to them.

its works wonders in the gearbox of my 1940s fan as well :) as thats what its designed for gearboxes and bearings and the likes.

Khers

02 Nov 2015, 07:10

In for 62!

Stabilized

02 Nov 2015, 11:35

Muirium wrote: Well, if the Escape is on the house, I don't see why not!
Hmm, I just looked at the shipping price direct and if the proxy price would be one escape then it would pretty much negate any kind of saving. Actually I think I will just skip out on this and order direct, thanks though :)
andrewjoy wrote: I usually just fill stabiliser inserts with a load of grease. No need to buy fancy snake oil grease this stuff works wonders

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50g-Extra-Hea ... xyUrZSz1-F
Does that change the feeling of the spacebar at all? I can imagine that if it's very thick it would cause the key to return slower?

Muirium
µ

02 Nov 2015, 11:54

Remember the 20% + £8 customs hit when it enters Britain. A problem for mailed imports, but not carried ones. I'd gladly help you out for that one red dyesub Topre Escape cap. But if I started offering everyone free proxies for little things, I'd wind up with a whole other suitcase (flying cost: $200) full of oh so many little things! And I like to be consistent, it's my first approximation to being fair.

andrewjoy

02 Nov 2015, 12:21

Stabilized wrote:
Muirium wrote: Does that change the feeling of the spacebar at all? I can imagine that if it's very thick it would cause the key to return slower?

No , its fine . its thick but not thick enough to stop a key returning

Muirium
µ

02 Nov 2015, 12:39

1000 rings now requested! That's us half way through the stock Hypersphere set aside for me. Anyone sitting on the fence might want to get involved quick before we run out.

andrewjoy

02 Nov 2015, 13:02

I need to get my a novatouch now ! And a little metal badge made up to say Type-S :).

If i do get that done i will get a few made :) and you can fight over them.

Stabilized

02 Nov 2015, 13:38

Muirium wrote: Remember the 20% + £8 customs hit when it enters Britain. A problem for mailed imports, but not carried ones. I'd gladly help you out for that one red dyesub Topre Escape cap. But if I started offering everyone free proxies for little things, I'd wind up with a whole other suitcase (flying cost: $200) full of oh so many little things! And I like to be consistent, it's my first approximation to being fair.
I completely understand, I don't think for a second that you're being unfair and I do understand that you would be opening the flood gates if I were to get you to lug stuff across the atlantic for free.
For this order though I could probably avoid any VAT as it will be under $20 and I would get it way before February, that's all.

Muirium
µ

02 Nov 2015, 13:47

Fair enough. I never even look at EK's MX stuff. The concept of a <$20 order from them is foreign to me!

If someone else wants to place a small caps / etc. order at EK, for proxying with these rings, my offer still stands. You know my tithe!

snoopy

02 Nov 2015, 13:50

90 for me

Hypersphere

02 Nov 2015, 23:22

@ccc24: Regarding key travel, I have found this not to be affected noticeably on various keyboards in which I have installed the silencing rings. These have included the HHKB Pro 2, Novatouch, RF87UB45, and RF87UB55. I also have a Type-S HHKB Pro 2, and my DIY-silenced HHKB Pro 2 feels and sounds better to me than the factory-issue Type S. Key travel feels the same to me on both the DIY silenced and factory silenced HHKBs.

Moreover, it is my understanding that the Type-S HHKB sliders are the same as standard HHKB sliders. Reportedly, the sliders on the factory-silenced Realforce keyboards were different from standard, including a height adjustment for the thickness of their silencing rings. However, I have not seen a silenced Realforce board myself, and they do not appear to be available any longer, at least in the US.

@Muirium: Regarding silencing rings on spacebars, I have found that a single ring on the spacebar switch is all that is needed. This has held true for me for the HHKB Pro 2, Novatouch, and RF87U keyboards. My only additional treatments have been lubing the stabilizers (on all stabilized keys) and placing self-adhesive foam squares on top of the case under each side of the spacebar switch.

Muirium
µ

04 Nov 2015, 11:05

Noted! As I said, I was taking a belt and braces approach. Good to hear a single ring can do the trick in any case.

andrewjoy

04 Nov 2015, 11:12

Does anyone know if its with lubbing the topre sliders whist i have them open ? something like a dry spray lub or something like that ?

Topre Enthusiast

04 Nov 2015, 11:51

It's not worth it IMO. I am currently restoring a really gross Realforce that my brother was using and returned to me. I threw all the switch housings and sliders (except the ones with metal stabiliser bars) in a delicates bag and into the washing machine. They came out fantastic and just jostling them around in the bag it's so easy to tell that lubing them is not required.

Topre Enthusiast

04 Nov 2015, 11:58

Oh and it's worth pointing out that Topre do put some lube on the stabiliser mounts of the space bar. It's some sort of silicone grease that I think is very close to what EK sells as Mechlube 2.

vinzbe

04 Nov 2015, 12:36

If you put grease on the stabilizer of a modifier, make sure you put only a tiny bit. Otherwise it get harder to press the key (which is quite ironic).

Muirium
µ

04 Nov 2015, 12:57

Yup. I left the little bits of stabiliser lube alone, and simply installed rings without other mods. Works a treat.

Don't worry about throwing the kitchen sink in there. You'll find opening these boards is actually quite easy and relaxing, compared to all that MX modding guff. My goodness, have I messed up over there!

inph

04 Nov 2015, 18:02

My shipment from Hypersphere just turned up, haven't gotten around to installing them in my Novatouch yet but will most likely want another 62 - 140 ish

tofagerl

04 Nov 2015, 20:10

I'd like 70. But when will this be paid? I assume sometime before February?

Muirium
µ

04 Nov 2015, 20:16

Yup. I think Hypersphere would like to get this all done (on his side) well before Thanksgiving / Christmas season. Seeing as there's already so many of the rings claimed in this IC, I reckon we can buy all his available stock. I plan to open the full GB real soon now. Then it's first come, first served while supplies last.

Things are easy so long as we have enough stock. Otherwise, Hyper needs to manufacture a full new batch, which is a sizeable investment. If you think these are expensive now, you should see how many he has to make just to hit this price! Not sure there's enough of us to make a whole new batch happen. So I suggest getting in on the first round!

Also, where are you guys located?

http://deskthority.net/help-f53/please- ... %20Country

derzemel

04 Nov 2015, 20:53

I would also like to buy a set of 90 rings for a Novatouch :-D

chzel

04 Nov 2015, 20:58

I'm waiting for the NT tour board to come my way, and I'm hoping that it will help me decide if I want a Topre board in my future...but I might join for ~90 rings and sell them later if I'm not convinced!

Muirium
µ

04 Nov 2015, 21:36

<PM Placeholder>

Please include:
  • How many rings you want.
  • Your full shipping address.
I will calculate your total — see the examples in the OP — and I'll reply to you with PayPal payment instructions. This will be a PayPal gift in USD.
Muirium wrote: Examples:

62 rings for an HHKB (59 required plus a few spares) = $40.30 + 6.50 shipping = $46.80 total.
70 rings for a FC660C (66 required plus a few spares) = $45.50 + 6.50 shipping = $52 total.
90 rings for a TKL Realforce or NovaTouch (87/88 plus a few spares) = $58.50 + 6.50 shipping = $65 total.
110 rings for a fullsize Realforce or Type Heaven (104/105 plus a few spares) = $71.50 + 6.50 shipping = $78 total.

You can order however many rings you want. (No spares? You daredevil!) And I will charge shipping only once for the lot of them, of course.
And yes I can ship things together with your Unicomp or NeXT order too.

Return to “Group buys”