Automatic Login Not Working as Expected

Compgeke

08 Jan 2015, 01:21

Whenever I get logged out it's because I logged in from an entirely different system. I myself use a VPN at school to get around web filters and that's never made a difference.

Madhias
BS TORPE

08 Jan 2015, 03:55

It happened right now again - before i was using the standard Android browser on the Nexus 7, and now Chrome on Windows.

Halvar

08 Jan 2015, 08:01

Using Firefox on Windows, IE on a Windows 8 tablet and Chrome on an Android phone, I never have that problem.

Text sizes are messed up only on the high dpi display of the phone. Especially in the spy, messages that are dynamically added to the DOM are huge.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

08 Jan 2015, 08:05

Likewise Halvar, I'm on Opera under Win 8.1 and Chrome on Android 5 and no probs, but so many users here reporting the problem cross platform and cross browser, strange. :|

Madhias
BS TORPE

08 Jan 2015, 09:09

For me it is not really a big problem, i am just wondering why i am sometimes logged out :?:

I never experienced the font problem by the way.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

19 Jan 2015, 13:14

I keep getting kicked out and I must say that this becoming an annoyance. I did some more research and it seems pretty common on all phpBB communities. It seems the user session gets lost on the server side for some reasons, maybe related to the IP address.

All I can say is, considering that I'm affected, if you give me access to the server and the forum backend I can try to understand exactly what is going on.

webwit
Wild Duck

19 Jan 2015, 13:52

Do you need access to production, or just want a copy of the code base to play with locally?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

19 Jan 2015, 14:21

since it could be server related, I'd say I need access to production (or staging/testing if you have one). I know it's a lot to ask.

webwit
Wild Duck

19 Jan 2015, 14:30

Not at all, hope you find what causes it. I'll refresh our testing environment (staging.deskthority.org) later on the server so you can change things or insert debug info, and get back to you with login details.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

19 Jan 2015, 14:43

I have a static IP if you need to limit access

Madhias
BS TORPE

29 Mar 2015, 09:43

It is somewhat annoying, on the iPad I am every time logged out after being on another device, like the Win machine, or the Macbook, or the smartphone. This happens also with Imgur! But only on these two sites.

seebart

29 Mar 2015, 12:29

You checked your cookie settings Madhias?

Tried another browser?

Madhias
BS TORPE

22 Nov 2015, 15:40

I gave up... and looking at DT mostly as an unregistered user. I could change my password to something like 123456 instead of a 20+ character password I have to copy each time from the password manager.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

22 Nov 2015, 15:48

yeah the problem seems worsen recently, it's incredibly frustrating and honestly sometimes I don't come visiting just because of the hassle :P

Muirium
µ

22 Nov 2015, 15:52

No problems here. Used to be an issue for me too, but not in the last year or so.

@Madhias: Can't your browser autofill passwords by itself? I thought they all did that.

seebart

22 Nov 2015, 15:54

Madhias wrote: I gave up... and looking at DT mostly as an unregistered user. I could change my password to something like 123456 instead of a 20+ character password I have to copy each time from the password manager.
matt3o wrote: yeah the problem seems worsen recently, it's incredibly frustrating and honestly sometimes I don't come visiting just because of the hassle :P
:o

I really don't like the sound of that, I appreciate both of you being here on a regular basis! Sorry I can't help. :(

Madhias
BS TORPE

22 Nov 2015, 19:44

I don't have any specific browser, mostly I am surfing on the iPad, with its Safari browser. The second used device when surfing is my Android smartphone, where I am using Chrome. At work I use also Safari, and at home Firefox. I'd say the iPad is leading all of them!

It is... only DT with this behaviour. Imgur had the same problem, which seems to be solved somehow, since I am now always logged in, sometimes I just have to reload. At other discussion board it works also, at GH I am logged in all-the-f%&$"§-time!

Muirium
µ

22 Nov 2015, 20:15

You need an obsolete original 2010 iPad. Mine works on DT like a charm. (Well, with JavaScript disabled, or every modern resolution photo embed crashes the poor memory constrained bastard.) Seriously, though, even Safari on that doesn't log me out or forget my password. Ditto Safari on iOS 9 and El Capitan.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

22 Nov 2015, 20:26

I suspect the problem comes out when you login from multiple locations and PCs (like I do and Madhias seems to do too). It doesn't matter what browser or what browser version you use. Considering that I always had this problem and that I'm not alone, "works like a charm" doesn't really apply.

HzFaq

22 Nov 2015, 20:28

For some reason I only get it on my home desktop; my phone, tablet, laptop and work computer all stay logged in fine, but every time I turn on my home computer I have to log back in and I'm pretty sure it's ever since I installed W10...which is odd as the tablet is running W10 and works fine.

Muirium
µ

22 Nov 2015, 20:59

I use DT from a few locations, and on cellular in between. And I haven't been tripped up by this in ages.

But I do use Safari (with iCloud Keychain) throughout.

webwit
Wild Duck

22 Nov 2015, 21:18

Not sure how to fix this, matt3o tried to replicate and hunt the problem on a separate install but that didn't work.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

22 Nov 2015, 23:44

yeah it's incredibly weird. I tried to replicate on the staging server and everything seems to work fine there. could be related to user id? or username? or some field in the database such as per-user-salt? I really don't understand. What I know is that it is constant on all my PC (2 linux, 1 mac, 1 windows, multiple mobiles), so I'm pretty sure it's something to do with my record in the database.

webwit
Wild Duck

23 Nov 2015, 00:08

Did we try removing all your login records from the db?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

23 Nov 2015, 07:39

I doubt that would change anything.

a quick google search reveals that it is actually a pretty common issue (look what google autosuggest says with "phpbb k"...). I read most of the threads on the topic and there doesn't seem to be a clear solution. PHP version. stuck PMs. phpbb security level. PHP server side config.

ohaimark
Kingpin

23 Nov 2015, 13:54

I think it's related to *dynamic* IP addresses. Whenever I switch connection locations (I end up at different WAPs about 4 times per day) the login prompt is displayed.

If I open DT on the same WAP it automatically logs me in.

Note that I am using Chrome... Having all my bookmarks stored in the cloud is too useful to pass up.

Muirium
µ

23 Nov 2015, 14:03

I roam about most days, accessing DT from the cellular network, and never get logged out in general. Safari on iOS 9. (Ditto with the bookmarks and login cloud sync!)

Surely my IP address is changing all the time? I also use my laptop on a few different Wi-Fi networks quite frequently with DT. Same solid login there. And of course my wired Mac Pro back home.

stratokaster

23 Nov 2015, 14:38

I have this problem — I have to login to Deskthority twice a day (from my office and from home).

But it doesn't bother me because I'm using iCloud Keychain to autofill passwords.

webwit
Wild Duck

23 Nov 2015, 14:47

I changed/resetted some cookie settings. This logged everybody out, sorry.

Muirium
µ

23 Nov 2015, 14:48

I thought it was you. First time I've encountered that dialog (outside of admin) for ages! Already iCloud autocompleted, of course.
Screen Shot 2015-11-23 at 2.01.14 p.m..png
Screen Shot 2015-11-23 at 2.01.14 p.m..png (22.85 KiB) Viewed 5185 times

Return to “Deskthority talk”