Wyse moogle kit?

N8N

23 Nov 2011, 23:58

Anyone ever make one? Or is that possibly one of the many options that's hidden in the arcane depths of GB4? Suddenly I seem to have acquired multiple sets of Wyse keycaps, one of which is suitable for use on a 104-key board and I'm considering ditching the Cherries and using the Wyse caps because they're just so. damn. cool. I haven't picked up the 104-key board yet but it looks to be close in color to a beige/grey Cherry board but with blue lettering instead of black, which is awesome. And those cool yellow arrows... (it appears to be a terminal board, otherwise I'd consider using it as is. And it's advertised as "clicky" which I assume means Cherry Blues which wouldn't win me any friends at work, so my plan was to use the caps on my Filco that I've converted to clears or possibly my Noppoo which has browns.)

I do have a couple old school color scheme moogle kits in anticipation of Ascaii's GB, but if I could get 'em with blue... that'd be very cool indeed.

Findecanor

24 Nov 2011, 01:39

No WYSE boards are clicky. They have Cherry MX Blacks. They bottom out hard, though... and a lot of people seem to be think that that means "clicky".

kaiserreich

24 Nov 2011, 09:26

Does wyse caps have the same profile as Signature plastics ones?

If yes, you could probably use MoogleKit R1 Beige, without the need for custom legends, or the need for the right shift

Findecanor

24 Nov 2011, 10:21

Most of the keys on a WYSE are the same size as Cherry and SP. The bottom two row of a WYSE are a different profile from Cherry -- I don't know if that is the same as SP.

The grey is darker than Cherry's grey. The text is DARK BLUE, not black, and in a font that is closer to SP than Cherry.

kaiserreich

24 Nov 2011, 11:12

Joining GB4 would make it easy to organize, but not sure about how many people who want this.

Ascaii
The Beard

24 Nov 2011, 11:39

hell, id take a set

heliar

24 Nov 2011, 18:04

Findecanor wrote:Most of the keys on a WYSE are the same size as Cherry and SP. The bottom two row of a WYSE are a different profile from Cherry -- I don't know if that is the same as SP.

The grey is darker than Cherry's grey. The text is DARK BLUE, not black, and in a font that is closer to SP than Cherry.

yes, here are the pictures.

Last edited by heliar on 25 Nov 2011, 07:00, edited 1 time in total.

litster

24 Nov 2011, 19:56

I would be interested in a set or two of wyse moogle kits

N8N

25 Nov 2011, 13:21

I definitely would be interested if someone wants to put something together... I'm supposed to pick the board up tomorrow, then I'll be able to evaluate color... love those doubleshots

N8N

27 Nov 2011, 00:51

OK, got the board. It is a terminal board w/ blacks and does have the cool blue-text doubleshots (with the yellow arrows) in excellent condition. Seller was an electronics recycling place so this was a perfect opportunity to get rid of some useless crap that was taking up space. Got the board home and the keycaps are filthy but still have plenty of texture.

Bad news: the alphas are about the same shade as my moogle kit modifiers. The modifiers are darker yet.

If anyone wants to pick up a moogle kit for these and run with it - maybe an add on to GB4 or the new RGB sets that are under discussion? - I'd be happy to send along the bottom row for your evaluation...

I don't suppose there's any easy way to use the board as-is on a PC is there? I am not a big linear fan, but it's nice enough that it might be nice for a change every now and then. And besides I have every other flavor board save for reds :)

Findecanor

27 Nov 2011, 01:16

N8N wrote:I don't suppose there's any easy way to use the board as-is on a PC is there?
The WYSE PCE 900840 is PS/2 compatible. The others models are not, but you could probably replace the controller; I think there are a few people who have done that in one or two WYSE keyboards.

kaiserreich

27 Nov 2011, 09:19

Would the WYSE Moogle Kit be useful with original SP font, or is there a need for custom legends.
Plus, if this kit does come live, would 1.5x modifiers be of interest to any of you?

N8N

27 Nov 2011, 13:02

I guess that's a question for everyone that's interested... me personally as long as the colors are close I'm reasonably fine. I'll probably be using these keys with a regular SP beige/grey kit anyway. I personally don't need the 1.5x modifiers as all of my "good" boards are new-ish.

Edit: tell me more about replacing controller. Would the matrix be the same as an old Cherry board? I have some old Cherry G81 POS boards that certainly could donate a controller for the cause (and their PS/2 cords as well)

Edit2: ignore previous comments about color. Once I actually pulled the keycaps and did the denture tab thing it was obvious that what appeared to be "dark beige" was just yellowed grey. So I'm trying my first go at Retr0brite right now... Instead of trying to make a paste, since what I was doing was a while mess of loose keycaps, I just used 3% peroxide solution (what I had laying around) with a little Oxy-Clean mixed in in an old Mason jar. I know it won't work as quickly without UV light, but I'm OK with that. I figured that using the stuff in its liquid form would yield more uniform results, and I am agitating it every half hour or so to break up the bubbles and move around the keys in case some are resting squarely against each other. I *think* it's working, but it's only been an hour or so... Also I think I can tell already that the blue is appearing more blue, before it really was hard to tell that it wasn't black w/o looking at the underside of the caps.

tsangan

27 Nov 2011, 18:58

N8N: Be a Wyse man and sell me one of your many sets so then I can join in on this moogle kit GB 8-)

N8N

27 Nov 2011, 19:11

Hah. Well, give me a couple days... I'm actually still waiting for a set to arrive - traded away a set of black doubleshots for them (I'd overbought thinking that I'd have to mix and match to get a good set, and ended up with two.) Then someone posted a link on GH for a Wyse terminal board at an electronics recycling place near me which I really needed to go to anyway (because I had a lot of docking stations, monitor stands, and old TVs that were no longer useful to me,) so now I'll have two sets, but only one that's really useful to me. I'll let you know how the other one works out. However I was thinking about drilling one of the caps locks and one of the scroll locks so I could use them on my Leopold... (it's the only good keyboard that I have that hasn't received it's own personality thanks to a keycap swap yet...)

tsangan

27 Nov 2011, 20:14

N8N wrote:Hah. Well, give me a couple days... I'm actually still waiting for a set to arrive - traded away a set of black doubleshots for them (I'd overbought thinking that I'd have to mix and match to get a good set, and ended up with two.) Then someone posted a link on GH for a Wyse terminal board at an electronics recycling place near me which I really needed to go to anyway (because I had a lot of docking stations, monitor stands, and old TVs that were no longer useful to me,) so now I'll have two sets, but only one that's really useful to me. I'll let you know how the other one works out. However I was thinking about drilling one of the caps locks and one of the scroll locks so I could use them on my Leopold... (it's the only good keyboard that I have that hasn't received it's own personality thanks to a keycap swap yet...)
You're the one that took that keyboard from me on eBay :cry:

I was haggling the price down, almost got it down to $15+shipping :lol:

Let me know if you can spare a set when you get everything and play around with it

N8N

27 Nov 2011, 20:17

well if it makes you feel any better there's another one up right now...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WYSE-840358-01- ... 2eb9276c98

The only reason I snagged the one was because I was literally going to have to go to some kind of recycling place anyway because there was just too much crap laying around... if you want the blacks we could talk about the remains of the keyboard as well...

heliar

28 Nov 2011, 17:07

moogle kit is always welcome.

the more I use Wyse, the more I love it. I even think black switch is just right for me.

kaiserreich

28 Nov 2011, 19:43

heliar wrote:moogle kit is always welcome.

the more I use Wyse, the more I love it. I even think black switch is just right for me.
Stop poisoning me.
That brand new one in Taobao is so attractive.
(In case anyone wonders, they are 300RMB each with PS/2 plugs)

sixty
Gasbag Guru

29 Nov 2011, 14:13

WYSE boards are awesome. I think they are some of the absolutely highest quality boards ever made. Industrial grade. The case construction is smart and very solid. Yet they are much smaller than some other colossus boards from that time. I just saw the ones on Taobao too, good deal for PC compatible ones.

PS: For the record the WYSE font is absolutely identical to the font that Signature Plastics uses. I believe SP even made the last batches of WYSE board keycaps in the mid 90s. The molds are damn close.

PPS: A couple of months back some Korean guys on OTD wanted to reproduce the WYSE keycaps. SP fucked up the color codes and they came out lightblue instead. Still awesome.

heliar

29 Nov 2011, 15:21

awesome, I am emigrating to Korea tomorrow.

heliar

29 Nov 2011, 15:25

my wyse-pads-on-filco mod.

kaiserreich

29 Nov 2011, 16:34

heliar wrote:awesome, I am emigrating to Korea tomorrow.

You can buy the "Wrong" Wyse keycaps from Group Buy 4
If you need help ordering, PM me, or you can just read the wiki.
sixty wrote:WYSE boards are awesome. I think they are some of the absolutely highest quality boards ever made. Industrial grade. The case construction is smart and very solid. Yet they are much smaller than some other colossus boards from that time. I just saw the ones on Taobao too, good deal for PC compatible ones.

PS: For the record the WYSE font is absolutely identical to the font that Signature Plastics uses. I believe SP even made the last batches of WYSE board keycaps in the mid 90s. The molds are damn close.

PPS: A couple of months back some Korean guys on OTD wanted to reproduce the WYSE keycaps. SP fucked up the color codes and they came out lightblue instead. Still awesome.
I must get one now. :)
Last edited by kaiserreich on 30 Nov 2011, 02:41, edited 1 time in total.

litster

29 Nov 2011, 21:14

sixty wrote:PS: For the record the WYSE font is absolutely identical to the font that Signature Plastics uses. I believe SP even made the last batches of WYSE board keycaps in the mid 90s. The molds are damn close.
I bet you are right. There are 2 types of Wyse double shots. One is much thicker than the other. The thinner ones are thin like SP's caps.

tsangan

29 Nov 2011, 22:08

sixty wrote:PS: For the record the WYSE font is absolutely identical to the font that Signature Plastics uses. I believe SP even made the last batches of WYSE board keycaps in the mid 90s. The molds are damn close.
Sixty, what is the font called?

N8N

02 Dec 2011, 01:05

It does appear that at least R1 Wyse caps are very close if not identical to SP profile. A moogle kit Rshift appears identical in profile to my Wyse keys, and the moogle kit bottom row lines up very well with the arrows. So now I don't feel quite so wasteful for jumping into two different RGB GBs because the older ones can find a home finishing out my Wyse keycap set at least until someone comes out with a Wyse moogle kit.

I seriously and desperately want some of those colored-text control, alt, etc. keys though! I know, this is starting to enter the realm of the silly.

heliar

02 Dec 2011, 09:05

in keypads I have found out my fettish side.
Last edited by heliar on 20 Dec 2011, 13:59, edited 1 time in total.

kaiserreich

15 Dec 2011, 15:36

Who wants to start a WYSE Moogle Kit IC ?

heliar

20 Dec 2011, 13:58

I finally got hold some thick wyse double shot caps, to be used on the wyse board which originally only got the later thin caps. The thick DS caps were made in 1991 and the board was made in 1993.

the first two are wyse thick DS, the third is cherry DS.

Return to “Keyboards”