30 Nov 2015, 17:25

Sounds totally reasonable.

Muirium
µ

30 Nov 2015, 17:50

I've got a bad feeling about this.

bhtooefr

30 Nov 2015, 18:07

DTA drinking game: Every time a shill comes on here to vote for Ripster, take a shot.

Yes, the goal here is to die from alcohol poisoning.

mtl

30 Nov 2015, 18:22

Another Ping! award nomination coming for the Deskthority Awards next year? :evilgeek:

Compgeke

30 Nov 2015, 18:32

Sadly we can't nominate ourselves :(

bhtooefr

30 Nov 2015, 18:38

We can nominate SL89. Because it's in November, I think we nominate SL89 for THIS year's Ping. ;)

SL89

30 Nov 2015, 18:39

bhtooefr wrote: We can nominate SL89. Because it's in November, I think we nominate SL89 for THIS year's Ping. ;)
I'll take it! :lol:

matt3o
-[°_°]-

30 Nov 2015, 18:45

okay, if I have to think of a "lifetime award" I think that should go to someone/something that deeply impacted the market and the community.

I believe Signature Plastics is the perfect candidate, now it's probably just one of the many options but till few years ago without them we would be still typing on OEM plastics. QC is not their forte and lately they took an arguable route with their GB software, but still they helped forming the community.

I agree iMav (and GH in general) is another good candidate for bringing the community together.

DT instead is a great source of information, both the forum and the wiki are stuffed with great info, so yeah I guess DT should be nominated too.

Maybe less of an impact but still important to me TheKeyboardCo, one of the few companies that invest in mechanical keyboards in Europe. Without them we would still ordering from Korea or US.

I believe Vortex of all is one of the most important realities, they brought the miniature keyboards to the public and keep investing in interesting projects (like double-shot PBT). They might have some issues in QC and they probably don't have the greatest taste when it come to keycaps font... but hey nobody's perfect.

Of course Cherry. Without them we wouldn't probably even discussing all this now.

What else? Who/What did make us what we are now?

Probably Topre, for their crazy and wonderful switch design. A potentiometer into a switch? Yeah, why not!

Already nominated, but I'm going to stress on the fact that without Hasu we wouldn't have any custom keyboard.

I believe that's all for now.

Muirium
µ

30 Nov 2015, 21:23

Only individual people are eligible for a "Lifetime Award", the way I understand the concept. We've plenty of categories for SP, Cherry and the like. Hint: they aren't alive. Especially Cherry these days…

webwit
Wild Duck

30 Nov 2015, 21:39

Nope, check the OP.

Muirium
µ

30 Nov 2015, 21:40

Yeah, I know, I'm just bitching. I think every award should be specific: person or entity; community or brand; etc.

Strongly typed! A difference in philosophy. They're much more freeform than that, I know.

7bit

30 Nov 2015, 21:59

I know why webwit does not want to win this award!
:?

His secret plan is to win in 5 years when the prize is an Alps-mount keycap made of real gold!
:evilgeek:

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

01 Dec 2015, 09:35

Muirium wrote: Only individual people are eligible for a "Lifetime Award", the way I understand the concept. We've plenty of categories for SP, Cherry and the like. Hint: they aren't alive. Especially Cherry these days…
american campaign donor laws would like to have a word with you

Muirium
µ

01 Dec 2015, 10:36

Sure. I'll meet them in person…

webwit
Wild Duck

01 Dec 2015, 21:27

Some nice ones from matt3o.

I think EliteKeyboards and Unicomp could be mentioned for similar reasons you gave for KeyboardCo. Unicomp for continuing the IBM buckling spring (it's actually quite remarkable they are still here, doing that!) and EK for starting a whole new keyboard business in the west by, at first, importing Filcos. But I'm not going to nominate them, as there are so many strong candidates already.

As Asia is underrepresented, I will nominate Sandy55, for being the "original" vintage keyboard and switch freak in the noughties, and OTD, for being the original vintage keyboard/keycaps/custom keyboard forum. People got inspired by people who got inspired by people etc. and these nominees are right at the start.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

01 Dec 2015, 21:31

Hasu.

P.S. Don't let reddit get word of this unless you want ripster to autowin

SL89

01 Dec 2015, 21:34

The more you highlight it, the more likely it is that it will happen.

Muirium
µ

02 Dec 2015, 00:16

We'll simply exclude those votes if it does.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

02 Dec 2015, 08:21

I think the best is just to enforce the rule that you can't vote if you registered after the polls are published (not because of ripster, just because seems right to do it anyway)

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

02 Dec 2015, 08:31

I would nominate also Leeku for his contributions in custom PCB designs.

Return to “Call for nominees”