JUSTSYSTEMS x Realforce 108UW HiPro

SL89

09 Feb 2015, 04:56

Muirium wrote: 45g most likely. Possibly "ergo" (variable) weighted. And bear in mind that tall caps make switches feel lighter. (And not because of their actual weight, counterintuitively…)
I understand that actually, something about leverage and distance. But i feel like the notable topre mechanism would have enough feedback. I bottom out on everything (greens included) so i dont mind that at all.

Muirium
µ

09 Feb 2015, 05:22

Yeah, I bottom out most of the time as well. Especially on Topre. The SPH caps I have on my (uniform 45g) NovaTouch are a taster of a HiPro like this, and I find it plenty nice. Definitely an a cut above any other caps I've tried on it, and that's quite a few. The switch lightening is noticeable, though. They don't feel less tactile, but the whole force curve is shifted lighter. Likely due to leverage indeed.

zts

27 Feb 2015, 01:59

002 wrote: Actually what I meant was you would swap the Hi-pro housings/sliders over. You're right though, you can put Hi-pro caps on a standard Topre switch, but there must be some reason why the Hi-pro housing exists, and if I were doing the mod myself I'd be moving the housings over too. Either way, it's still two Topre keyboards :)

I think the Hi-pro housing probably reduces keycap twist and/or wobble, but have not actually investigated what benefits the taller design has.
yes, it'd seem that you'd need to move the housing/sliders with keys. Without the *reinforced* housing I'd be afraid to break something in prolonged use. Also, while HiPro caps snap right into the *standard* housing, putting standard height keys into HiPro housing is a bit of a challenge.
standard height
standard height
nohipro.jpeg (142.15 KiB) Viewed 4904 times
hipro reinforced housing
hipro reinforced housing
hipro1.jpeg (304.61 KiB) Viewed 4904 times

Muirium
µ

27 Feb 2015, 02:06

I think he means the housings can be removed when you're deep inside the keyboard's innards, much like the sliders. So you could match those extra tall housings to their caps just as before. Which is a relief to those of us who fear there'll never be a HiPro in the right form factor!

I was inside my NovaTouch just yesterday, doing damper experiments. I haven't tried to remove a housing yet, but they do look doable. If I had a Realforce, I'd try transplanting NovaTouch housings and sliders to see what happens! NovaTouch sliders are definitely a bit thicker than standard Topres, but their housings make up for it.

Naturally, my only traditional Topre board is my HHKB, whose housings aren't removable. So no experiment for me.

zts

27 Feb 2015, 03:34

Muirium wrote: ... my only traditional Topre board is my HHKB, whose housings aren't removable. So no experiment for me.
:shock: that needs to be remedied. You need more Topre goodness :!: Here's the approximate height dif:
caps_comparison.jpeg
caps_comparison.jpeg (226.34 KiB) Viewed 4894 times
caps_comp2.jpeg
caps_comp2.jpeg (206.6 KiB) Viewed 4894 times

Topre Enthusiast

05 Dec 2015, 01:13

Hijacking this thread a bit to announce that they've just released the dark grey version (REALFORCE108UG-HiPro-JS Limited) in the last few days:
mainheader.jpg
mainheader.jpg (54.92 KiB) Viewed 4701 times

Muirium
µ

05 Dec 2015, 01:16

Thought that looked new when I visited today. Must they rub in the fact I missed the white one!

SL89

05 Dec 2015, 14:24

So is the white one gone?

Muirium
µ

05 Dec 2015, 14:32

Long gone. I would be in the process of importing one to America right about now otherwise.

Vespene

12 Feb 2016, 06:49

Topre Enthusiast

12 Feb 2016, 07:56

The keyboard is the same -- it's just they offer discounts for existing JustSystems customers using ATOK and stuff I believe.

Vespene

12 Feb 2016, 11:27

Cool, thanks for the fast reply. Just wondering though, I have a HHKB JP - would these HiPro keycaps work with it?

http://www.pfu.fujitsu.com/direct/hhkb/ ... 0ws_xl.jpg

Judging by the pictures, can I assume that Tab, Caps Lock, and Shift will work with this? But the right shift and parts of the bottom row won't work, with the exception of the spacebar although I wouldn't mind buying it for just the non-modifiers.

Topre Enthusiast

12 Feb 2016, 12:35

Left Shift won't work either because the HHKB JP has non-standard staggering on that row -- compare how the keys Q,A,Z line up on the HHKB JP versus a normal HHKB or Realforce or just about any other QWERTY keyboard and it should become obvious.

Muirium
µ

12 Feb 2016, 14:58

Also: a board with tall alphas and low (standard HHKB JP) mods is a creation of the underworld and should not be attempted! HiPro caps really don't want to mix in.

Menuhin

24 Jan 2017, 11:40

Sorry for the necro.

What is the source of HiPro caps for Realforce / Justsystems?
Also SA from SP?

Hking0036

25 Jan 2017, 12:28

Menuhin wrote: Sorry for the necro.

What is the source of HiPro caps for Realforce / Justsystems?
Also SA from SP?
Topre make all their caps by themselves as far as I know.

Return to “News”