Milestone Palm Rest

itlnstln

29 Nov 2011, 14:05

(This is a repost from GeekHack)

Damn, when was the last time I did a real review? I think it was some time before Welly had sex with a Topre. Anyhow...

I don't usually talk about keyboards, but when I do, I typically go to Deskthority. I've been around awhile, and while GH has been a good home to me, GH is, well, a little noobish. DT occasionally gets visitors from some of the Asian sites, and one of these vistors was showing off his kick-ass custom 'board. Sure, the 'board was cool, and I knew I would never have one, nor would I go through all the trouble of soldering switches and buying caps and such for a tenkeyless 'board, but he had something else that caught my attention. No, it wasn't the bungee cord he was using for USB, it was this gray, seemingly translucent/transparent wrist rest he was using. Of course, I asked where he got it, and of course, it was some retailer in Asia that I would have needed a broker for, and of course, I was a heart-broken once again that a piece of kick-ass keyboarding would not be mine.

I wanted that damn wrist rest. Bad. I typically don't geek-out over stuff like this, but for some reason, my keyboarding life would not be complete if I didn't have this slab of plastic on my desk. I put some inquiries in to a couple of vendors here on GH, and sure enough Bruce with the Keyboard Co. was up to the task. By the end of the day he had already placed an order, and had them shipping. On Wednesday, 11/22, he had the goods, by Friday it was in my hand.

Now, I would like to digress for just a second. Not only did Bruce get the wrist rests by request, but it was in my hand two days later. Overseas. From the UK. My Filco from Amazon (via the Keyboard Co. again on another expertly filled customer request) took about a week. WTF?

What was I talking about? Oh yeah, the wrist rest. It's a slab of fucking plastic as wide as a keyboard. Thanks for reading.

Huh? You want details?

Well, aside from being exactly the same width as my Filco, the height almost exactly the same as the front edge of the keyboard. The Filco and Ducky rests I have are a smidge shorter the Milestone and because they are leather, your hands sink a little into the rests making your hand height that much shorter creating an un-optimal angle for hands if you're a rester like me. The Milestone has a matte, textured finish on the top that I am sure will be worn smooth at some point. I suppose you could flip it over and use the shiny side at the risk of fingerprints and such. The Milestone is about .75" tall, appears to be made of a tinted acrylic (it's transparent), and comes with six (very effective) rubber feet to keep the rest from sliding around. The feet are thin, and don't add much to the height. In fact, it is just slightly shorter than the front edge of the Filco with the feet on. Oh, and it weighs a metric ass-ton. You could kneecap someone very effectively with this thing.

Other than that, it's basically a slab of fucking plastic as wide as a keyboard.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

29 Nov 2011, 14:10

I approve of this review. Kudos to Bruce for helping you to aquire this fucking slab of plastic ;)

itlnstln

29 Nov 2011, 14:53

The Keyboard Co. is all about customer service. I have no problem throwing money in their direction.

ktkr

10 Dec 2011, 17:00

Nice review. Now I'm quite interested in the f'n short slab myself. I much prefer solid rests made of wood or acrylic like this. Looks like TKC is out of stock currently. :(

cactux

15 Dec 2011, 03:40

[Account and posts deleted on request]

itlnstln

15 Dec 2011, 15:18

Damn, that's nice. I was looking for something like that when I had my HHKB. Is that available for sale or is a custom piece?

On a similar note, I would love to have a full-size, wooden wrist rest. That's about the only thing that would get this Milestone off my desk for any amount of time.

GeorgeStorm

15 Dec 2011, 15:27

That's an awesome looking wooden rest.

Any chance of any other photos of the milestone rest? At different angles preferably, and a link to the original post that got you so interested?

itlnstln

15 Dec 2011, 16:38

Here is the post: http://deskthority.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1528

Basically, any pic from Taeyoung with a keyboard in it will have another pic of the wrist rest. I'll try to take some more pics if I have time, but honestly, there's really not much else to look at. It's literally a slab of acrylic. The only thing that doesn't really come through well in pics is the translucently of it, but when it's on a desk it just looks flat gray.

cactux

16 Dec 2011, 03:06

[Account and posts deleted on request]

Return to “Reviews”