Best Topre Silencing Yet!

Hypersphere

25 Dec 2015, 18:59

I've been tweaking my method for silencing Topre-switch keyboards, using a combination of Hypersphere Silencing Rings and lubing of stabilizers and switches. This most recent "ring job and lube" produced the best silencing yet.

Previously, I had lubricated only the stabilizers. My earlier method was to use relatively thick grease,such as MechLube2 from EK. However, all of the greases I had tried seemed to dry up after a time.

My current method is to install Silencing Rings in all the switches and then to lubricate the stabilizers and switches using SuperLube 51010 Oil. The oil is applied with a small paintbrush on friction points such as articulations of stabilzer wires and the slider rails of switches. I've reproduced an image showing a similar procedure on the switch slider rails of a HHKB Pro 2 keyboard:
DQyf2Sa.jpg
DQyf2Sa.jpg (155.93 KiB) Viewed 7808 times
https://i.imgur.com/DQyf2Sa.jpg

I also put a two-layer square of self-adhesive anti-skid strips on each side of the spacebar switch to serve as downstroke dampers for the spacebar.

This method produced the best silencing I have experienced to date, as demonstrated in the following video/audio clips and audio waveforms. Keystrokes were 3 each of Tab, Backslash (HHKB Delete/Backspace), CapsLock/Ctrl, Return/Enter, Left Shift, Right Shift, and Spacebar, followed by 3 each of "This is this." (without quotation marks), ending with 3 each of Return/Enter and Spacebar.

RF87UB55
rf87ub55-125.jpg
rf87ub55-125.jpg (88.38 KiB) Viewed 7808 times
Before Silencing:
RF-Before.jpg
RF-Before.jpg (47.77 KiB) Viewed 7808 times
After Silencing:
RF-After.jpg
RF-After.jpg (22.84 KiB) Viewed 7808 times
I hope that these tips will help others who are interested in silencing their Topre-switch keyboards. The same principles should apply to any Topre-switch board, including RF87U/104U, HHKB Pro 2, Leopold FC660C, CM Novatouch, and others.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

25 Dec 2015, 20:05

Merry Christmas!

Interesting. For those who don't know Super Lube 51010 is a packaging of Synthetic Oil With PTFE (High Viscosity) which is available in other quantities for rather less money. http://www.super-lube.com/synthetic-oil ... zp-56.html. This is a synthetic oil with embedded Teflon.

I'd like to try this on Chinese Topre clones such as the Noppoo EC108 and Royal Kludge RC930 to see if this helps with their scratchiness at all.

Madhias
BS TORPE

25 Dec 2015, 21:52

Wow, that is really silent after the mod! First of all I will wait for the silencing rings I have ordered from Muirium, and maybe later make a more sophisticated mod! I'd only do that on the HHKB, and not on the Realforce. I love the Realforce how it sounds, and feels. The HHKB is a little bit like MX Blues or Greens compared to Buckling Springs, but a little bit - not that big difference - just as a comparison.

In general the Realforce sounds for me perfect. For example today I tested the Cooler Master Rapid-SI with MX Browns I won at the DT awards, and I have to say I really like the MX Browns with that plate - it feels good and also the sound is OK. I will change the caps and use it! But then... I switched to the Realforce again and it was like an eargasm and also the feeling was perfect.

infodroid

25 Dec 2015, 23:33

Hypersphere wrote: My current method is to install Silencing Rings in all the switches and then to lubricate the stabilizers and switches using SuperLube 51010 Oil.
Is there a risk that, over time, the oil will drip down onto the PCB?

Hypersphere

26 Dec 2015, 16:18

infodroid wrote:
Hypersphere wrote: My current method is to install Silencing Rings in all the switches and then to lubricate the stabilizers and switches using SuperLube 51010 Oil.
Is there a risk that, over time, the oil will drip down onto the PCB?
I suppose so; however, I have seen posts elsewhere regarding using synthetic oils to lube Topre swtiches and I do not recall seeing any posts indicating problems resulting from the oil seeping past the domes and reaching the PCB. In any event, oil should be applied sparingly.

face

09 Aug 2016, 23:21

Why shouldn't one lube the plungers too? So sliders and plungers? Are there any downsides to this?

Hypersphere

10 Aug 2016, 05:27

I recommend lubing only the rectangular slider rails, not the cylindrical slider (aka plunger) itself or the cylindrical housing. I was also given similar advice by EK.com. I also recommend synthetic oil for the slider rails. Grease could be used to lube the stabilizers.

face

10 Aug 2016, 08:59

Alright, thank you!

Manjusri

27 Dec 2016, 20:15

Can you compare the relative benefits of lube vs rings vs both?

Hypersphere

10 Jan 2017, 22:36

Manjusri wrote: Can you compare the relative benefits of lube vs rings vs both?
The two are difficult to separate, but I would say that the benefit with respect to sound is greater from the rings. Lube alone does little for the sound, but it has some effect on sound and more of an effect on feel. Doing both seems to have a synergistic effect on both sound and feel. I recommend doing both -- installing rings and lubing the switch rails and stabilizers.

Return to “Workshop”