Let's create the FSSK/FEXT = DONE !!!!

pcaro

14 Jan 2016, 12:19

I just bought a SSK yesterday. I am late. The project is amazing

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

14 Jan 2016, 23:54

pcaro wrote:I just bought a SSK yesterday. I am late. The project is amazing
I think you're only late for participating in the testing phase. Orders haven't opened for tested versions, yet.

Hypersphere

15 Jan 2016, 21:48

How will this work beyond the testing phase? Is the ultimate vision to have some sort of kit that can be used to convert one's SSK into an FSSK? I have an SSK in excellent shape that I would love to be able to convert to Model F switches. However, part of the great sound and feel of the model F comes from the case and the way the barrel frame and rear plate are mounted in the case. For these reasons, I find that typing on my XT is much more pleasurable than typing on my AT, even though the XT layout leaves much to be desired.

Steveenn

15 Jan 2016, 23:02

Do you guys know how long it might be before there is a finished version of this that I can just put into my SSK and have it work without a hitch? I'm starting to debate selling/trading my SSK to delve into the Topre world. If this will be a functional product some time in the next 2-3 months I will just keep my SSK and stick one of these PCBs into it for that amazing Model F feel.

idollar
i$

16 Jan 2016, 01:14

Hypersphere wrote: How will this work beyond the testing phase? Is the ultimate vision to have some sort of kit that can be used to convert one's SSK into an FSSK? ...
Well, it all depends on the result of the testing.
I could organise a group buy of non-working kits, but I guess that I would not have a big market :twisted:

Seriously, the difficulty is to source the flippers. Ellipse may produce flippers at $0.5 each + shipping. This means some $50 spend just in the flippers. I do not find this price reasonable. With a some luck, one can find XT models for $15 !!!

I have asked him if he would tell us the company that will produce them, but I have no answer, I mean, he has not tell the community the name of the company.

The alternative is to do what he has done, design the flipper, find a company in China to produce them at $0.1 (?) and buy them. But this will require time.

With regards to the xwhatsit: it should be simple to produce the PCBs and create new controller. xwhatsit made all his work available (THANK YOU !!).

The PCBs design will be in the public domain also.

Another problem is the limited documented interest.
All this takes lot of my free time. I definitively will not organise a group buy if 10 sets are demanded. To much effort for little benefit.

If I get a prototype working, what will I gain with the group buy ? The challenge will be closed and I will have at least one FSSK. Also, all the information required to replicate the work will be available, so people will be able to organise all the required part themselves.

Conclusion: if you are interested, register in the spreadsheet.

----------------
Another Reminder ?
----------------

I have created the following spreadsheet to collect the interest and contributions in this project.

Click here

Please write down your interest/preferences. And send me a PM.
However, part of the great sound and feel of the model F comes from the case and the way the barrel frame and rear plate are mounted in the case. For these reasons, I find that typing on my XT is much more pleasurable than typing on my AT, even though the XT layout leaves much to be desired.
It will not be a 122, nor an XT or an 472X. It will be an FSSK. And this means a different feeling.
I have tried my SSK with F flippers and it was a very nice feeling. The case was not made of metal, but the feeling was great, light. We need anyhow to test the final assembly before we describe the feeling.
Last edited by idollar on 16 Jan 2016, 01:29, edited 4 times in total.

idollar
i$

16 Jan 2016, 01:20

Steveenn wrote: Do you guys know how long it might be before there is a finished version of this that I can just put into my SSK and have it work without a hitch? I'm starting to debate selling/trading my SSK to delve into the Topre world. If this will be a functional product some time in the next 2-3 months I will just keep my SSK and stick one of these PCBs into it for that amazing Model F feel.
I will hopefully receive the PCB next 1/2 weeks. The PCB has been manufactured already.
I have the controller and the flippers at home.
I will just need to find the time to put all together.

During February, I may not have the time to finish the job. If the PCBs come late, we may need to wait until March.

idollar
i$

16 Jan 2016, 01:48

For your information: I have ordered 10 PCBs. The followings have already been assigned:
  • 2- Idollar
    2 - hammelgammler
    1 - shreebles
    1 - chzel
    1 - guk
    1 - vsev
    1 - pcaro
1 is still available.

In this post I have explained that due to the limited interest, I may not organise a FSSK group buy. It will mean lot of time/effort with little or no benefit for me.

The PCB above is available under the conditions that I have written already a number of times: it should be a contribution to the prototyping phase. I cannot guarantee a working PCB. If the prototype works, I will document in the forum how to use it. The PCBs will be sent to the contributors. The additional shipping cost will need to be paid by the recipient.
Registering in this phase should be understood as a contribution to the risk mitigation in the prototyping phase, with the potential benefit of getting a working PCB of the very first series of the FSSK.

Note also the the FEXT may never get into the testing phase. There are only two potential contributors to the testing phase. I do not have any personal interest on it. The PCB was created with the only aim to offer the work to the community. If the community is not sufficiently interested, why should I risk my own money ?
If more people would have shown interest the situation would be different ... lets see if after this post we get new entries :-)

----------------
Reminder
----------------

I have created the following spreadsheet to collect the interest and contributions in this project.

Click here

Please write down your interest/preferences. And send me a PM.

As there is only one PCB available, if this post generates may interest, I will follow the order in the inbox of the PMs

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

16 Jan 2016, 04:54

I added myself to the sheet, but all the spots seem to be taken. Anyways, if someone drops out, I'm interested.

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

16 Jan 2016, 07:03

Well, I have to say this is an unwelcome turn of events. If the FEXM is dead, and if the tested FSSK PCB will never be produced, does that mean I need to hope that this prototype is a failure, so I can have a chance of getting in on this via a round 2 prototype? :(

In hindsight, maybe it would have been better to have everyone commit to buying into BOTH a prototype and tested round up front, or not even offer the tested option at all.

Sorry to be negative, but I really was so excited about this project and now it sounds like it's over before it really even started.

Oh well, I'll still watch for the results, anyway. Good luck with the prototype testing.

idollar
i$

16 Jan 2016, 08:49

Techno Trousers wrote: Well, I have to say this is an unwelcome turn of events. If the FEXM is dead, and if the tested FSSK PCB will never be produced, does that mean I need to hope that this prototype is a failure, so I can have a chance of getting in on this via a round 2 prototype? :(

In hindsight, maybe it would have been better to have everyone commit to buying into BOTH a prototype and tested round up front, or not even offer the tested option at all.

Sorry to be negative, but I really was so excited about this project and now it sounds like it's over before it really even started.

Oh well, I'll still watch for the results, anyway. Good luck with the prototype testing.
I have not said that the FEXT is dead. I have said that to test it we will need some 100+ euros and some time. I may want to expend my money and time in holidays. If the FSSK works, it is very likely that the extended PCB will do also. As I will publish all the files. HERE. You will be able to test it by yourself. I have also said that if there is enough interest, I will organise a group buy.
The problem is that there are currently there are just 2 people, additional to myself, willing to support the prototyping phase.
Last edited by idollar on 16 Jan 2016, 10:57, edited 3 times in total.

idollar
i$

16 Jan 2016, 08:53

vivalarevolución wrote: I added myself to the sheet, but all the spots seem to be taken. Anyways, if someone drops out, I'm interested.
Thanks, indeed. I will PM you.

idollar
i$

16 Jan 2016, 09:45

Here are the very final files that I have sent to "pcbway".
I just hope that they used this version that I submitted via email after the order was made, I added some instructions in the bottom silk layer to clarify that the pads were only in the connector.

The zip contains the deltacad, diptrace and final gerber files.
Last edited by idollar on 31 Jan 2016, 00:09, edited 1 time in total.

vsev

16 Jan 2016, 10:34

vivalarevolución wrote: I added myself to the sheet, but all the spots seem to be taken. Anyways, if someone drops out, I'm interested.
I promess I'll send you for free my non-working one if so :twisted:

idollar
i$

16 Jan 2016, 10:59

Status Update:
On Sat, 16 Jan 2016 10:18:37 +0800
PCBWAY.COM <donotreply@pcbway.com> wrote:

Hi,

We have shipped your PCB (Order # YYYYYY) to you.

The tracking number is XXXXXXX by DHL.

Thanks again for your order, and we hope we will serve you soon!

pcbway

pcaro

16 Jan 2016, 13:20

I am on the list too. Thanks to i$ for all his support.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

16 Jan 2016, 15:11

idollar wrote:
Steveenn wrote: Do you guys know how long it might be before there is a finished version of this that I can just put into my SSK and have it work without a hitch? I'm starting to debate selling/trading my SSK to delve into the Topre world. If this will be a functional product some time in the next 2-3 months I will just keep my SSK and stick one of these PCBs into it for that amazing Model F feel.
I will hopefully receive the PCB next 1/2 weeks. The PCB has been manufactured already.

During February, I may not have the time to finish the job. If the PCBs come late, we may need to wait until March.
My order from PCBway was less than two weeks from the time of order to arriving at my door. They are very quick for being on the other side of the world. It helps that the main DHL international terminal is two hours away from me.
vsev wrote:
I promess I'll send you for free my non-working one if so :twisted:
I already have a non-working SSK, so that will not be any different from my current situation...

idollar
i$

17 Jan 2016, 02:01

Status update:
Departed Facility in HONG KONG - HONG KONG
Sunday, January 17, 2016 at 06:24
Origin Service Area:
SHENZHEN - SHENZHEN - CHINA, PEOPLES REPUBLIC
Destination Service Area:
FRANKFURT - GERMANY
Estimated Delivery:
Tuesday, January 19, 2016
By End of Day

hammelgammler
Vintage

17 Jan 2016, 02:30

Wow, January 19 would be a very quick delivery! That would be great.

idollar
i$

17 Jan 2016, 13:14

Status update - It has arrived to Germany = Leipzig.
Sunday, January 17, 2016 Location Time Piece
10 Customs status updated LEIPZIG - GERMANY 11:18
It seems that we will test it next weekend ;-)

Steveenn

19 Jan 2016, 20:31

idollar wrote:

March definitely isn't too much of a wait, sounds great!

idollar
i$

20 Jan 2016, 19:59

Steveenn wrote: ...March definitely isn't too much of a wait, sounds great!
The PCB have arrived :-)

Forgive me for the bad quality of the pictures, made with a telephone and sent to me. I was not at home today.

The version that they have used is the 0.51, the final and hopefully good one that I asked them to use. My fear was that with all the email exchanges that we had they would have used a different one.
It even has my instructions on how to set the pads printed in the bottom layer, including typos :-)

The holes are big, hopefully sufficient to cope with errors in the design.

I could not spot any error.

I will not have time to post better pictures until the week-end.
IMG_20160120_155244-small.jpg
IMG_20160120_155244-small.jpg (854.16 KiB) Viewed 21429 times
IMG_20160120_155253-small.jpg
IMG_20160120_155253-small.jpg (944.56 KiB) Viewed 21429 times
IMG_20160120_155318-small.jpg
IMG_20160120_155318-small.jpg (927.81 KiB) Viewed 21429 times
IMG_20160120_155324-small.jpg
IMG_20160120_155324-small.jpg (901.35 KiB) Viewed 21429 times
Last edited by idollar on 21 Jan 2016, 00:18, edited 2 times in total.

scottc

20 Jan 2016, 20:03

Wow, amazing. :D Great work!

chzel

20 Jan 2016, 20:21

Ha! Great news i$!!! Can't wait to try it out!

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

20 Jan 2016, 20:26

Oh, isn't that exciting!

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

20 Jan 2016, 21:14

Awesome! Can't wait to hear how the testing goes.

Steveenn

20 Jan 2016, 23:26

Looks great, I'm looking forward to picking one of these up for my SSK!

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

20 Jan 2016, 23:59

Note that, you really don't need an SSK for FSSK. A full sized Model M will do nicely.

Without the pesky membrane in the way this is an easy chop. You'll need to cut the barrel plate, the steel back plate, and the top and bottom case, and epoxy and sand the case back together in an aesthetic way. But, if there was ever a super easy way to turn a full sized Model F into a TKL board, this is it. (You don't need to cut the rubber sheet or the membrane, they are no longer needed.)

Great work again, idollar. I'm looking forward to seeing the test results.

idollar
i$

21 Jan 2016, 00:05

XMIT wrote: Note that, you really don't need an SSK for FSSK. A full sized Model M will do nicely.

Without the pesky membrane in the way this is an easy chop. You'll need to cut the barrel plate, the steel back plate, and the top and bottom case, and epoxy and sand the case back together in an aesthetic way. But, if there was ever a super easy way to turn a full sized Model F into a TKL board, this is it. (You don't need to cut the rubber sheet or the membrane, they are no longer needed.)

Great work again, idollar. I'm looking forward to seeing the test results.
Yes you are fully right but for a comment: the top holes and cuts will need to be done in one side of the in the back metal plate after cutting it. They are needed to hold the internals.

idollar
i$

21 Jan 2016, 00:14

Question: is there anyone willing to offer some help in designing a piece to replace the original cable plug with a small hole for the USB cable ? It could be 3d printed.

I do not have the required time to do it. It should be a very difficult task for people with some experience, I guess
Last edited by idollar on 21 Jan 2016, 07:17, edited 1 time in total.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

21 Jan 2016, 03:18

No promises but I'll see what I can do.

Return to “Workshop”