Suggestions for my first mouse in 14 years

Parjánya

19 Jan 2016, 04:15

I have a basic optical Microsoft mouse, and it has served me well, but it seems to be close to give up its ghost. Any suggestion? I don't need 20 buttons, but I might like them : o ). Hopefully it could last just as long...

Would a Kensington Expert be a decent improvement? The Slimblade, on the contrary, would cost me a kidney to buy.

Muirium
µ

19 Jan 2016, 04:28

What sort of mouse grip do you prefer? What body size do you like in mice?

See, I pinch mine lightly with my fingers, barely touching it with my palm at all. So a slim little Magic Mouse does the trick just nicely for me. But tastes vary! A whole freaking lot!!

I went for a Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer all the way back in 1999, when they looked like this:

That was a half decent mouse and served me for about 5 years before going on the fritz. It was still my preferred mouse when I was first on the Mac! I tried a Mighty Mouse afterwards, which was pretty crap besides for the 2D scrolling; which jammed so easily! But in 2010 I got the Magic Mouse and I've been rocking that one ever since. Just love the lightweight and low profile of it, plus all the momentum scrolling and gestures I use all day long. Upgraded it with a wireless charger too. No sign of the little bugger going flaky after all these years, where it's soon coming up on my long lived Explorer.

Topre Enthusiast

19 Jan 2016, 12:29

I love the Intellimouse. I had the one Mu mentioned and the 2.0 too but my favourite of all would have to be the Intellimouse 3.0. You can still buy them actually but one issue with those early optical mice was that they would "spaz out" if you moved them too fast. You also had to "overclock" them as the 125hz polling rate was crap. This is getting harder and harder to do with each Windows release.

I recently bought a Zowie FK2 for CS:GO and it is a nice mouse but the revision I had has problems with the scroll wheel which really annoyed me. Last week I picked up the Steelseries Rival 300 to replace it and...so far so good. Reminds me a lot of the Intellimouse 3.0 actually but also with the excellent Pixart 3310 optical sensor (which the Zowie has too).

Parjánya

19 Jan 2016, 17:31

Now I know I use the fingertip grip, after some googling ; ). I've been using the same Microsoft OEM basic mouse since it first came out, when I replaced the old ball mouse I had. Mouses bigger than these Microsoft ones seem very clumsy. I'm leaning towards another Microsoft mouse (this one has surely lasted), or I might get a Kensington Expert if I get adventurous : o ).

This Zowie FK2 seems really comfortable. I'll end up visiting some stores to try them.

What about the Logitech ones? They used to be very good...

zuglufttier

19 Jan 2016, 17:45

I really like the Razer Abyssus which I bought some time for myself. The light behind the ugly logo can be turned off via the driver!
It's pretty small, light and not too expensive.

ulises3.14

14 Mar 2017, 18:37

I use the Corsair Katar, which is a simple gaming mouse with adjustable DPI and is symmetrical (I'm not left handed, but I dislike "anatomically curved" mice)

Phenix
-p

10 Apr 2017, 22:06

maybe look at the Ducky Secret mouse, it is PBT :)

I like my rocket kone pure much, easyshift feature rocks.
I also have an slimblade laying around, but I never got warm with it (and trackballs in general)

Django2donat

16 Oct 2018, 12:23

ulises3.14 wrote: I use the Corsair Katar, which is a simple gaming mouse with adjustable DPI and is symmetrical (I'm not left handed, but I dislike "anatomically curved" mice)
Would a Kensington Expert be a decent improvement?

nickg

24 Oct 2018, 00:49

Get the new intelimouse? It sucks for gaming, but its very wonderful for office work.

Linkert

29 Oct 2018, 09:23

Parjánya wrote: Now I know I use the fingertip grip, after some googling ; ). I've been using the same Microsoft OEM basic mouse since it first came out, when I replaced the old ball mouse I had. Mouses bigger than these Microsoft ones seem very clumsy. I'm leaning towards another Microsoft mouse (this one has surely lasted), or I might get a Kensington Expert if I get adventurous : o ).

This Zowie FK2 seems really comfortable. I'll end up visiting some stores to try them.

What about the Logitech ones? They used to be very good...
My Zowie FK2 lasted me two years of moderate use. I'm only running laptops and occationally plugged it in for things that needed a mouse. It's a great mouse when it's not dead :roll:
Sorry, false alarm the issue was software, not the mouse. Disregard this comment :)

Return to “Mice & other input devices”