frequent timeouts

matt3o
-[°_°]-

21 Jan 2016, 21:44

Is it just me or the site returns a timeout error every now and then? It is especially frustrating when it happens on "submit" and the message doesn't pass through...

snuci
Vintage computer guy

21 Jan 2016, 21:46

I have never experienced this but I'm not a heavy poster either.

ohaimark
Kingpin

21 Jan 2016, 22:10

I haven't had an issue... Don't know if I count as a heavy poster.

Muirium
µ

21 Jan 2016, 22:46

I get it quite a bit. Always have done at DT, but it does feel a bit worse this year. Don't think it's SSL related. I was sensing an increase before the switch.

Fortunately my Mac and iPhone Safari browsers buffer the composition window, so I never lose text, which is why I haven't bothered to complain about it. But I bet it's a huge pain in the arse for some of you!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

21 Jan 2016, 22:49

yes definitely not SSL related, I was experiencing the same before the switch. I guess it's worth investigating. Even thought I wouldn't know exactly how.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

21 Jan 2016, 22:54

matt3o wrote: Is it just me or the site returns a timeout error every now and then? It is especially frustrating when it happens on "submit" and the message doesn't pass through...
Yes I do get that, but only very rarely.

ohaimark
Kingpin

21 Jan 2016, 22:56

Are you all located in Europe? Where is the server located? Could be a WAN or server connection issue.

webwit
Wild Duck

21 Jan 2016, 22:58

I never get this, so I guess it's related to routing and peering. Maybe try some traceroutes when it's happening?

Muirium
µ

21 Jan 2016, 22:58

Our host is Hetzner in Germany, if I recall. And yes, me and Matteo are Europeans. But! I see it just as often here in California too.

The *only* time I notice it is on forum post submission. (Including edits.) Not sure I've ever seen it on PM submission, but it wouldn't surprise me.

I'll screencap the error message next time I see it. Something like "The server stopped responding." Which is odd, because it often feels way too fast for a simple timeout.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

21 Jan 2016, 23:00

it just happened to me in PM submission, and it sometimes happens on standard page loads too (only the first time you access the site after a long time)

Muirium
µ

21 Jan 2016, 23:01

I keep DT open in a tab in every machine I use, so I guess I don't often do that!

webwit
Wild Duck

21 Jan 2016, 23:02

If I search for "The server stopped responding", it seems that's most likely just your crappy wifi.

Muirium
µ

21 Jan 2016, 23:05

WiFi? How quaint. I'm in America, LTE baby!

webwit
Wild Duck

21 Jan 2016, 23:07

@matt3o I can also give you the server details so you can check the Apache logs to see if your https request reached the server at all, maybe check the software firewall, etc.

seebart

21 Jan 2016, 23:21

Muirium wrote: WiFi? How quaint. I'm in America, LTE baby!
I thought the yanks called that 4G? WiFi is called WLAN in Germany. Sounds much more serious too.

Muirium
µ

21 Jan 2016, 23:23

4G is what I drop down to when the signal isn't clean enough for LTE. Time was America was way behind us on phones. But what with all our European thumb sitting, they've gone walked on past us. Usual story.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

21 Jan 2016, 23:27

webwit wrote: @matt3o I can also give you the server details so you can check the Apache logs to see if your https request reached the server at all, maybe check the software firewall, etc.
I ran some mtr tests, might be nice to make them the other way around (from server to me).

I get a 4.1% packet loss on a node here in Italy, but seeing that Muirium (and others) have issues both in EU and US I dunno

ohaimark
Kingpin

21 Jan 2016, 23:28

seebart wrote:
Muirium wrote: WiFi? How quaint. I'm in America, LTE baby!
I thought the yanks called that 4G? WiFi is called WLAN in Germany. Sounds much more serious too.
Everything sounds more serious in Germany.

webwit
Wild Duck

21 Jan 2016, 23:31

Das WLAN.

seebart

21 Jan 2016, 23:34

ohaimark wrote: Everything sounds more serious in Germany.
You're very right, it does very often sound more serious in German. Languages can be so nice and strange.
Muirium wrote: 4G is what I drop down to when the signal isn't clean enough for LTE. Time was America was way behind us on phones. But what with all our European thumb sitting, they've gone walked on past us. Usual story.
Hmm interesting, I'm on LTE here but next down the line is the symbol "H" which is UMTS or rather HSDPA also known as 3G. But I'm probably getting mobile standards mixed up now.
webwit wrote: Das WLAN.
Now that sounds almost dangerous! :o

snuci
Vintage computer guy

21 Jan 2016, 23:37

Try using "Private" browsing of "In Cognito" mode and see if you timeouts persist.

It's worth a shot.

Muirium
µ

21 Jan 2016, 23:41

Just ran ping on Deskthority.net from here in California for a few minutes. 625 packets sent, 0 packets lost, all pings within 10 ms of each other. For whatever informative value that's worth!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

21 Jan 2016, 23:45

Muirium wrote: Just ran ping on Deskthority.net from here in California for a few minutes. 625 packets sent, 0 packets lost, all pings within 10 ms of each other. For whatever informative value that's worth!
does mac come with mtr? if that is the case you should definitely try that. Something like

mtr deskthority.net -r -c 1000 -i 0.1

webwit
Wild Duck

21 Jan 2016, 23:46

mtr. I should have guessed.

xbb

22 Jan 2016, 21:52

matt3o wrote:
webwit wrote: @matt3o I can also give you the server details so you can check the Apache logs to see if your https request reached the server at all, maybe check the software firewall, etc.
I ran some mtr tests, might be nice to make them the other way around (from server to me).

I get a 4.1% packet loss on a node here in Italy, but seeing that Muirium (and others) have issues both in EU and US I dunno
I bet that is milano51 or something :)

Muirium
µ

26 Jan 2016, 04:45

Here we go:
Screen Shot 2016-01-25 at 7.42.55 pm.png
Screen Shot 2016-01-25 at 7.42.55 pm.png (24.63 KiB) Viewed 11107 times
Second one for me in half an hour of Club Secretary work this evening. And they are *instant* despite the name. No pause necessary at all!

Muirium
µ

27 Jan 2016, 06:24

This is a first: I'm getting them in the forum Admin UI too. While adding new DT Club members:
Screen Shot 2016-01-26 at 9.18.31 pm.png
Screen Shot 2016-01-26 at 9.18.31 pm.png (27.07 KiB) Viewed 11076 times
I had about 4 of these within just 5 minutes! And the last one was when using this control:
Screen Shot 2016-01-26 at 9.19.41 pm.png
Screen Shot 2016-01-26 at 9.19.41 pm.png (17.98 KiB) Viewed 11076 times
Until now, only ever text fields would trip this misbehaviour, in my experience. First time I've seen it on a list! Or indeed in the Admin UI. Again: no actual timeout that a human can see. These failures happen near to instantaneously.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

27 Jan 2016, 09:05

can you install mtr, Muirium? http://rudix.org/packages/mtr.html

Muirium
µ

27 Jan 2016, 09:11

I'll try it when I'm back at my computer tomorrow. It's late here, you early birds!

kbdfr
The Tiproman

27 Jan 2016, 11:34

Never experienced that kind of problems.
Good old wired Internet connection, good old Windows, good old Firefox :lol:

Return to “Deskthority talk”