Signature Plastics key caps
32%
Soarer's XT/AT/PS2/Terminal to USB converter with NKRO
26%

Total votes: 66

webwit
Wild Duck

06 Dec 2011, 12:07

Please vote for your winner of the award for the Best input device mod in 2011.

By voting in this category you can win rare keycaps from the Clack Factory.

This is the final round. See the first round and second round for reference.

ripster

06 Dec 2011, 17:48

I voted for Lowpoly's mod (of course).

Can I trashtalk the others???

JBert

07 Dec 2011, 12:10

Well, you could start by pointing out that the others aren't mods per se. After that, SP\s keycaps are by definition a "factory default" and hence not a mod.

CeeSA

07 Dec 2011, 15:37

that is a very good point. they should be removed from this vote.
the other thing is the bad qly.

webwit
Wild Duck

07 Dec 2011, 15:42

Replacing keycaps is hardly a challenging mod, but it is what people voted for.

mrog

07 Dec 2011, 16:38

Personally I think Soarer's PS2 to USB converter is brilliant. The main thing is - if you look at the comments in the code they've identified 3 methods of producing NKRO over usb - a feature that does not exist on any other USB keyboard - hacky - but amazing!!

ripster

07 Dec 2011, 16:57

Actually Microsoft did it in the Sidewinder X4 before Soarer did.

Paul Dietz was the dude.

Faced much hate at OCN.

http://www.overclock.net/t/736015/micro ... ewinder-x4

Daemon Raccoon

07 Dec 2011, 17:20

As much as I appreciate Soarer's adapter, my vote goes to Lowpoly. His wiring is so clean and beautiful.

wcass

07 Dec 2011, 19:28

Let me say that it was an honor to make it through rounds 1 and 2.

Thank you, Minskleip for the nomination.

Minskleip

07 Dec 2011, 19:52

wcass wrote:Thank you, Minskleip for the nomination.
You're welcome! That mod was great! I hope to do something similar myself (before I die ...)

JBert

07 Dec 2011, 21:13

mrog wrote:Personally I think Soarer's PS2 to USB converter is brilliant. The main thing is - if you look at the comments in the code they've identified 3 methods of producing NKRO over usb - a feature that does not exist on any other USB keyboard - hacky - but amazing!!
Aren't you thinking about Hasu's code? Soarer only gave us binaries of the firmware AFAIK, which for me means that Hasu deserves as much credit as Soarer.

mrog

07 Dec 2011, 21:34

Ah you may well be right, but the geekhack article doesn't mention contributors and I've lost the link to the github page to check commiters. Either way its an awesome mod - whoever is involved.

Soarer

07 Dec 2011, 22:16

Does sound like you're thinking of Hasu's, if you're looking at code!

Hasu and I were developing our NKRO code at the same time, and we shared many ideas (those discussions can be found on GH if you search hard enough). So we had a common start, but slightly different goals in mind which led to some differences in our USB implementations (very minor as regards the NKRO part).

Soarer

07 Dec 2011, 22:18

ripster wrote:Actually Microsoft did it in the Sidewinder X4 before Soarer did.
This is pure trolling. And untrue.

ripster

07 Dec 2011, 22:30

Well, given that they must have developed it well before shipping I would think the timeframe is correct. When was yours coded?

Your mod post is this date:
Created by

Soarer

, 22 Apr 2011 at 06:00
His first post at Geekhack was here:

http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?9230 ... post165795
20 Mar 2010, 23:08
But in the end all that matters is his lawyers are bigger than your lawyers.

Soarer

07 Dec 2011, 22:36

ripster wrote:Well, given that they must have developed it well before shipping I would think the timeframe is correct.
It wasn't NKRO. End of discussion.

mrog

08 Dec 2011, 00:00

Hey Soarer! nice work, I guess I must have mixed up the projects, in any case I might have to dig out the old topics and maybe tap your brain for some knowledge down the line. I need to acquire a keyboard or two and some other parts (which wont happen till at least Jan/Feb)- but I would like to make my own keyboard controller at some point I think.

I suck at electronics and have only a basic understanding of Keyboard Matrices - But I have plenty of experience programming microcontrollers (particularly Atmel - and I have a few chips lying around still).

Once you've got the keyboard matrix inputs decoded, the anti-ghosting and the usb interface I think there are a lot of fun features that could be programmed into a keyboard.

Anyway - you got my vote as pure inspiration to make the perfect keyboard controller!

Soarer

08 Dec 2011, 00:19

I think some of the discussion was in Hasu's HHKB mod thread, but there was also this thread: 'USB-boot-mode-NKRO-compatibility-etc'.

Forget the anti-ghosting and use diodes in the matrix instead - it's so very much easier!

Thanks for your vote! You can tap my brain any time! :D

ripster

08 Dec 2011, 02:50

18KRO versus Nkro.

webwit
Wild Duck

08 Dec 2011, 02:55

Lame. 18KRO still leaves me two free toes.

ripster

08 Dec 2011, 03:30

Thats for playing the violin!

Soarer

13 Dec 2011, 01:38

Congratulations Lowpoly - a worthy winnah! :D

(and thanks for beating SP down into second place, shame I couldn't beat them too!)

Crazy9000

17 Dec 2011, 04:04

Pretty sure the sidewinder is 26KRO, letting you use all the toes and some of your face.

ripster

18 Dec 2011, 15:15

Kinda depends on the OS and Application.

I don't know of many apps supporting 104 simultaneous key presses.

Inquiring OCN gamers would want to know.

Return to “Deskthority Awards 2011”