Deskthority 5th Anniversary

lolpes

27 Jan 2016, 10:13

I joined because of the hypermicro keyboard :D I finnaly have it!

Spikebolt
√(4) != -2

27 Jan 2016, 11:41

webwit wrote: I don't know what they are talking about in the Portuguese section, but I have this gloomy feeling that they're scheming to take over the (keyboard) world each night.
:roll: Just a tiny bit...

KRKS

27 Jan 2016, 13:46

Happy 5th Anniversary DT!

I've got into mechanical keyboards by randomly finding /r/mechanicalkeyboards back around 2013. It was a way nicer community back then. I've followed the links to here and GH but I haven't started lurking here until late 2014, and on 21st June 2015, I felt like replying in a thread and made an account.

Muirium
µ

27 Jan 2016, 17:17

I think there's two fundamental reasons for us keeping our shit together here for so long as a community.

1. Size. We haven't had an overwhelming rush of new users at any point, who completely changed the culture of the place. DT's as easy going today as when I showed up 3 years ago.

2. Criticism. You're free to open your mouth and say something stupid here, but so is everyone else to respond to it. There's a core cast of regulars who love to give feedback, good and bad, who typically put new arrivals on the right track, or make them quickly quit. We don't look down on "threadcrapping". That chatter is actually our culture.

We mod very little on DT. But we respond a lot! I think that's working out very nicely indeed. We've got the crowd who like the way we do things, and the other forums have the rest.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

27 Jan 2016, 17:55

Muirium wrote: I think there's […] fundamental reasons for us keeping our shit together here for so long as a community.

1. Size. […]
2. Criticism. […]
3. Design. We write black on white like in real life and are interested in contents, not in bling-bling.

Muirium
µ

27 Jan 2016, 18:13

That was honestly the one to draw me here. I registered an account at the same time at GH, but after all these years I still haven't made my first post.

geniekid

27 Jan 2016, 18:27

I discovered Deskthority while searching for a mechanical keyboard to buy. I think there was a thread on here from some guy on a similar search who finally (is it ever really final?) settled on the HHKB. I also remember discovering the Phantom here and thinking to myself, "who would ever want a plain PCB? You'd have to be crazy to build your own keyboard." Oh poor, stupid 2014 Geniekid :lol:

A year later I joined as a member after I realized how much I use the wiki. Which reminds me...did I forget to renew my club membership?

7bit

27 Jan 2016, 18:33

kbdfr wrote:
Muirium wrote: I think there's […] fundamental reasons for us keeping our shit together here for so long as a community.

1. Size. […]
2. Criticism. […]
3. Design. We write black on white like in real life and are interested in contents, not in bling-bling.
Wait!

DT isn't green on black?
:mrgreen:

Prelim

27 Jan 2016, 18:43

4. Forum header from users. We make this forum alive and take seriously this shit! (even though almost anyone of us have denies from @Mu regularly lol)

btw, post 1000 :D

seaworthy

27 Jan 2016, 20:36

I joined about a month ago, and I paid because the information here represents a massive shortcut in getting desired results. So many members have been very helpful, but one understated benefit I genuinely appreciate is the lack of signature statements where people laundry list their possessions to build some kind of faux fantasy ranking. It's great to see mature self-deprecating enthusiasts who don't take themselves too seriously.
Last edited by seaworthy on 27 Jan 2016, 23:27, edited 2 times in total.

rddm

27 Jan 2016, 22:40

kbdfr wrote: 3. Design. We write black on white like in real life and are interested in contents, not in bling-bling.
I think you are my soul mate ahahah, just kidding and I agress with you on that.
I program a lot and in my class I'm the only one that have visual studio in black and white, the other are all dark grey. Is an example of difference between people that want to do their job, and people that want to look "like god" doing it.
For me GH just want to be cool and appellative, instead of help members and promote information, and for me that's the foundation of a community.
I just use that forum to check some groupbuys.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

28 Jan 2016, 09:13

Calling for help

So I have personally/out-of-my-wallet purchased a small but special present for all club members. Do not expect too much :) I had to buy 100+ of them after all... but it's symbolic more than valuable.

Now. We have to ship them to all (or most) club members and would be nice if we could set up a small network where members exchange the present with each others. Meaning you get one for yourself plus a couple spares that you could ship to a member near you. The item is very shipping-friendly so the cost would be just few cents.

If you are available at helping us distributing the 5th anniversary special, please let us know. If you can ship 25 or more you get an additional trophy produced in only 5 copies (this is definitely more valuable).

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

28 Jan 2016, 09:26

OK matt3o having won DTA5 I guess I have to give back a little, I'll do Germany, or a part of Germany or however this works out?

Let me know what's next...

matt3o
-[°_°]-

28 Jan 2016, 09:31

seebart wrote: OK matt3o having won DTA5 I guess I have to give back a little, I'll do Germany, or a part of Germany or however this works out?

Let me know what's next...
thanks, man. I'll let you know as soon as I get the gifts (they are in production right now). That should be at the beginning of February.

Spikebolt
√(4) != -2

28 Jan 2016, 09:37

The portuguese community is having a meeting on February 6/7th if you could ship it by then it would be easier to distribute :P

Either way I'm also holding a mini-gb for the portuguese community and wouldn't mind shipping extra stuff. I can handle the shipping to portuguese members.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

28 Jan 2016, 09:48

all hail the Portuguese community!

7bit

28 Jan 2016, 09:58

^^^ are those special presents looking like this ^^^
:evilgeek:

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

28 Jan 2016, 10:00

7bit wrote: ^^^ are those special presents looking like this ^^^
I don't think so... ;) Probably just slightly smaller. 8-)

Spikebolt
√(4) != -2

28 Jan 2016, 10:02

I sure hope it's one of those fancy o-rings!!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

28 Jan 2016, 10:09

7bit wrote: ^^^ are those special presents looking like this ^^^
nope :P

kbdfr
The Tiproman

28 Jan 2016, 10:09

I’m also available.
Germany, of course, but I can also cater for shipping to those European countries once hidden behind the iron curtain.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

28 Jan 2016, 10:17

For logistics reasons I'm gonna announce the winner of the Novatouch today.

Stay close.

7bit

28 Jan 2016, 10:29

Today is the day!
:grin:

Happy birthday, Deskthority!
------- :ugeek: ------ Image ------- :mrgreen: ------- :roll: ------- :cool: ------- ;-)

matt3o
-[°_°]-

28 Jan 2016, 10:32

webwit says the 29th

7bit

28 Jan 2016, 10:33

matt3o
-[°_°]-

28 Jan 2016, 10:36

7bit wrote: memberlist.php
:P
created the 28th, first used the 29th. well either way. happy birthday!

flabbergast

28 Jan 2016, 10:39

Happy birthday!

Although I'm a relatively newcomer, I immensely enjoy being here.

(Also, I can do shipping for UK for the ... erm, presents?)

matt3o
-[°_°]-

28 Jan 2016, 10:48

And the winner is...
Spoiler:
Caligo
I already contacted him, I'd say he has 48 hours to claim his prize or it goes to someone else :P

He registered in 2013 but only recently has been active. With 27 posts he made into the give away filters by a whisker!

Contratulation, pal!

I hope to see you around for another 5 years at least! :) You are not a club member yet, this might be the right time :P

7bit

28 Jan 2016, 10:52

Congratulations to the latest winner, from the winner of the first third DT contest (Rollermouse Free2, you remember?)
:ugeek:

edit:
contest-f46/win-a-contour-product-such- ... -t534.html
:cool:

caligo

28 Jan 2016, 12:36

:o :o :o :o

That's about the first time in my life I win anything! :D This day began with me trying to catch a train at the same time as the Stockholm public transportation system decided to collapse in on itself like a very miserable black hole of delays and signalling errors – just spent a few hours out in the sleet, and missed all of todays lectures. But now it's turning out to be a pretty good day after all, who would have thought!

Been lurking here for a while, was mostly lured here by the Round 5 shenanigans but have found myself staying for the community. And the prospect of new keycaps of course – oh, god damn it, now I'll have to get more of those. This is like a drug dealer giving out free samples to get people hooked. :lol:

Return to “Deskthority talk”