GeekHack Wikia

Muirium
µ

10 Feb 2016, 17:34

Where is Memepedia? The world needs a search box for all that crap!

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

10 Feb 2016, 17:40

Muirium wrote: Where is Memepedia? The world needs a search box for all that crap!
I'm pretty sure that the internet itself is a gigantic search box for all that crap that it's filled with.

ohaimark
Kingpin

10 Feb 2016, 18:33

You mean this?

http://knowyourmeme.com/

Or this?

http://meme.wikia.com/wiki/Teh_Meme_Wiki

And as a to a search box...

Muirium
µ

10 Feb 2016, 18:37

I was thinking more like a dungeon where all that shite can be swept away and kept out of sight, out of mind.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

10 Feb 2016, 19:04

I guess Geekia has all the clacks and artisans down, while we can take care of the keyboards from olden times. :)

Muirium
µ

10 Feb 2016, 19:08

Geekia is a better name than Geek Hack. Like Ikea, my mind reads it with a dodgy Swedish accent.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

11 Feb 2016, 00:00

yeah! Let's fragment an already small niche. Let's disperse energy! Let's duplicate content! It sounds like a great idea!

Muirium
µ

11 Feb 2016, 00:30

Wonders what license they will use for their content.

Douche sue-alike, 3.11…

jacobolus

11 Feb 2016, 00:48

I gotta say, this is one of the most snobby and unpleasant conversations I’ve ever seen on Deskthority.

ohaimark
Kingpin

11 Feb 2016, 00:55

Some of the posts go past the point of teasing to insulting, I agree.

But... It's snobby to make fun of people? To say, in our opinion, that they are in the process of bringing a bad idea to life? On the internet?

Edit: made my post less douchy.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

11 Feb 2016, 01:07

jacobolus wrote: I gotta say, this is one of the most snobby and unpleasant conversations I’ve ever seen on Deskthority.
Oh come on, we may appear snobby and unpleasant at times, but there also are other times after all…

Muirium
µ

11 Feb 2016, 01:17

People are taking it personally, remember. All this stuff about The More Wikis the More Unfinished is really about *our* wiki. I must admit I'm conspicuous by my absence from ours, but I understand where the feeling is coming from.

jacobolus

11 Feb 2016, 01:21

I certainly don’t have any “personal” interest. I think putting a wiki at Wikia is a bad idea (regardless of topic), and I think duplicating info already at the Deskthority wiki somewhere else is also a bad idea.

I just think several of you sound really unpleasant in this thread. If I were a new person who didn’t know anything about this community, reading this thread would be a big turnoff.

webwit
Wild Duck

11 Feb 2016, 01:36

jacobolus wrote: I gotta say, this is one of the most snobby and unpleasant conversations I’ve ever seen on Deskthority.
Tell you a story. When DT was founded by four enthousiasts, I thought the wiki should be more like guides, integrated, possibly just forum topics, easy to edit, accessible, informal. Sixy thought the formal mediawiki would be best (the open source software behind Wikipedia). Sixty won, and he was right of course, it worked for us. Accessibility is still a problem (learning curve) but it works for us. And the informal guides work for reddit (wouldn't really call that a wiki). These guys try to make something work for geekhack, and that can be a good thing. In fact, if it works, it works. I wish them good luck. I will give them a tip, if they read this: it's work, work, work, by you, the initiators, it doesn't happen just setting up some software and some basic content and waiting for the magic. It's hard work. Get to work. Maybe then the leprechauns will come.

Still, the reality is that the DT wiki is best and leading, and perfectly open. In both its favor and disadvantage, it has historically been without management, except for backups and software updates. For example, I've asked Beardsmore repeatedly to be the wiki master, but he refused. Of course you should carefully consider the examples he set, I'm just saying you shouldn't be afraid to add content. The current content is set by the people who cared to write about it, and is not formally limited. Currently matt3o is officially responsible for the wiki, and he'll probably think "Oh shit" when he reads this. It runs open software, and DT is not privately owned like geekhack or by investors like reddit, but by itself, which means the current club members and the people they voted on to run DT determine how stuff is done, without profit in mind. Even if DT forum is not your thing, the DT wiki is for all. In that way, the objectivity is its strength. And while it will be frowned upon if you write "X is the best" to put your personal opinion in there, it's perfectly ok to say "Many think X is best, some think not", if that's a fair estimation, with references to dt, gh, or whatever topics with various opinion. That can be more informational in some pages where currently if someone searches for example for a switch, finds out on dt it's mechanical, and has no idea whether it's good or bad.

Muirium
µ

11 Feb 2016, 02:14

Enthousiasts are just well loubricated, you see…

webwit
Wild Duck

11 Feb 2016, 02:19

You should just be glad it's all written text, because if this was a verbal place, no one would understand a word you're saying.

jacobolus

11 Feb 2016, 02:31

These guys try to make something work for geekhack, and that can be a good thing. In fact, if it works, it works. I wish them good luck. I will give them a tip, if they read this: it's work, work, work,[..] It's hard work. Get to work. Maybe then the leprechauns will come.
I agree with this 100%, and said as much on the relevant Geekhack thread. Anyone setting up a new community project should be prepared to put in a lot of time.

webwit
Wild Duck

11 Feb 2016, 03:21

I hope I sufficiently stressed the word work in this bit.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

11 Feb 2016, 08:42

oh don't get me wrong, I don't get it but I wish them all the best!

Is it because it's under the "deskthority" domain? If it were a completely different domain we could have worked together?!
webwit wrote: Currently matt3o is officially responsible for the wiki, and he'll probably think "Oh shit" when he reads this.
wait, what?! oh shit!

ohaimark
Kingpin

11 Feb 2016, 09:16

I'm disappointed in you, matt3o. It was explicitly stated that you were supposed to think it, not write it.

Tch tch tch.

KRKS

11 Feb 2016, 09:39

Honestly, the best course of action here is to just start adding more stuff here. For example I've been planning to write stuff about open-source keyboards(you know, a category with a main page with some comparisons and such, and then an article about every one of them) on the wiki.

Matt_

11 Feb 2016, 14:54

matt3o wrote: Is it because it's under the "deskthority" domain? If it were a completely different domain we could have worked together?!
If I understand correctly the "community" bit on the wiki home page, there's probably a bit of that, and also the fact that the wiki creators want a place to archive all noteworthy stuff that they do and gets buried in 50+ pages threads (custom keyset GBs, keyboard projects and such). A sort of showcase of what comes out of their own bubbling cauldron.

But then again, as much as I understand the intend, most of the stuff that would end up on their wiki wouldn't be out of place on DT's either.

Steezus

11 Feb 2016, 22:38

If you want it to be such a community effort then why is DT even in the name? There are several aspects to being apart of the mechanical keyboard community, hence why there is also different forums. The goal isn't to re-document various Cherry keyboards and their layouts. The main topics will be around the central interests of geekhack. Such as artisans, keysets, customs, etc. Most of that stuff you all don't even care about so why is it such a huge deal that it won't be on the DT wiki?

pbtforever

11 Feb 2016, 22:44

What are you talking about. In fact you explicitly call out DT as NOT being tied to the forum.
In fact, it is the community that Deskthority has failed to realize with their wiki. It is entirely isolated from the community it is associated with, but that is wrong.
Last edited by pbtforever on 12 Feb 2016, 01:11, edited 1 time in total.

seebart

11 Feb 2016, 22:56

While you kids are talkin' the DT wiki is rollin'...

wiki/Special:RecentChanges

wiki/Nixdorf_CT06-CT07/2_M_Softkeys

ohaimark
Kingpin

11 Feb 2016, 23:19

Steezus wrote: If you want it to be such a community effort then why is DT even in the name? ... Most of that stuff you all don't even care about so why is it such a huge deal that it won't be on the DT wiki?
Name: because we host the webserver. Are you suggesting that only people who work at Wikipedia should put information on it? That's the logical equivalent.

Stuff we don't care about: many users, yes. Others, not so much. I'm actually trying to contact Bro Caps to interview him about his business formally to try and pin down information about its timeline.

Big deal: it's not one if you don't rehash information in the slightest. If you do, that's inefficient, duplicated effort. In addition, like I said earlier, I'd like to see both communities working together on something.

I have a dream.

I have a dream that one day on the beige hills of the Internet, the sons of former GH members and the sons of former DT members will be able to sit down together at the keyboard-covered desk of brotherhood.
Last edited by ohaimark on 11 Feb 2016, 23:29, edited 1 time in total.

seebart

11 Feb 2016, 23:22

Steezus wrote: If you want it to be such a community effort then why is DT even in the name? ... Most of that stuff you all don't even care about so why is it such a huge deal that it won't be on the DT wiki?
No that's simply not ture. I'm ready to add anything of relevance that I happen not to care about to the DT wiki. If anyone asked me to add clacks I would.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

12 Feb 2016, 00:01

seebart wrote: […] If anyone asked me to add clacks I would.
Hey, we even have such an entry already :mrgreen:

seebart

12 Feb 2016, 00:09

kbdfr wrote:
seebart wrote: […] If anyone asked me to add clacks I would.
Hey, we even have such an entry already :mrgreen:
Without pictures. :o :lol: What a shame. ;) Oh well. :evilgeek:

Halvar

12 Feb 2016, 00:10

This page is all it needs:

wiki/Novelty_keycaps

(kidding, we could really expand on that...)

Return to “Deskthority wiki talk”